Thruster F Enhanced Edition (TKFE) vs Astrox Nextage (AXNT)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by BoyetPhonetics, May 24, 2023.

?

Which do you think is the better choice?

1. Victor Thruster F Enhanced Edition (TKFE/TK-F C)

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yonex Astrox Nextage (AXNT)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. You don't need a new racket.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. BoyetPhonetics

BoyetPhonetics New Member

Hi there,

"Beginner" here who's been playing badminton for over a decade, can hit the shots (10% of the time still hit air, 20% of the time too little/much power), but need better form and haven't really been winning the games. Looking for a racket to call my own since I've mostly been using some very entry-level Yonex rackets (loaned) that you can't even find links to online anymore. I borrow better rackets from my peers sometimes when I can, but perhaps lack the time and consistent effort needed to properly use the rackets? I figure I should just stick with one racket and know everything about it instead of rotating all the time.

I'm deciding between the Astrox Nextage and the Thruster F Enhanced Edition. As I mostly settle into choosing the TKFE, I am informed that the TKFE in stock is made in China.

My research has found precious little in the nuances of the manufacturing but this video, which I struggle to understand because I am not a native speaker, says that the China and Taiwan rackets are different. If Yonex makes their entry-level rackets in China, mid-range rackets in Taiwan, and high-end rackets in Japan, does it stand to reason that the TKFE in question is inferior in quality to one that is made in the Victor home base of Taiwan? Level with me. Tell me I'm wrong.

If you're feeling charitable, tell me what tension I should set the Aerobite that I plan to string my racket with. Or tell me that my current racket (some 10U Alp-Sport racket from China) is good enough and I should work on my body and not spend money.

Thank you!

2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Neither of the 2. I would suggest an "entry level" racket that you can try I get a good feeling with and spend the rest of the money on some training.
    You have been playing for quite some time but still miss 10% of the shots (which I find is a lot). Basic training will benefit you more than an expensive racket (which you could have bought instead on loaning a racket)

3. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

If you are still learning to hit the shuttle correctly, it would be a waste of money (in my opinion) to buy for you. You will have a very difficult time getting any fun out of it. Consider going with an even balance medium stiff racket such as Yonex Arcsaber 11 tour or Arcsaber 7 tour.
    The Victor is a great racket and I love mine - but they are not easy to play with and should not be bought as entry level rackets.

Also: buy a cheaper racket - but better shoes as that will save you more on injuries.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Ok.... Investing an expensive racket when you still misshit alot is horrible. You will cry alot when those expensive racket broken from clash or misshit torture.

Then high end racket wont makes you a better player. Its not like cars, the more expensive, the better its performance, more comfort, more enjoyable feature.
    High end racket give you
    1. better feeling & feedback. But would you be able to tell the different? Its not like sweat & sour, its just tiny little feeling that normal player wont be able to feel it. Let say like a food we normal mouth would just say good or bad, but true chef would be able to tell all tiny ingredient that mixed up in it perfectly.
    2. stability due to its stiff nature but at the cost its more tiring to use, more demanding to gain power. When you are still learning the basic, how would you be able to focus on learning the hitting when you just struggle with your power & exhaustion. Not to mention the risk of injury straining ur body more than what your body could handle.
    3. Expensive racket stay longer & the series are maintained for longer periode. Unlike cheap racket that are just 1 season sell & gone replaced with entierly new model. Do you care changing racket would affect your racket so when its broken, you would buy the same racket again? Or you would be interest for other racket instead?

So, as other mentioned.
    Just get cheaper racket, & if you really had the extra money, use it for coaching. 1-2month serious coaching would definitely improve your games than investing a new racket.
    & The shoes also a good recomendation? Had you use a badminton shoes or still using running or casual shoes?

5. BoyetPhonetics

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm starting to be convinced that I should go for a beginner racket instead. What string tension would you recommend? I'm really interested in the Aerobite. Does it make sense to use it even at my level so I can get used to it and get good with it? I don't think durability would be an issue since I've never had strings snap on me, and since I'll likely be using a lower tension, the likelihood of it snapping is lower as well.

On the topic of shoes, I am very satisfied with my current pair of Yonex Cascade Drive, which check all the boxes for looks, comfort, and performance.

6. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

Don't buy high end rackets if you still hard to hit.
    U can try mid end rackets first because high end is hard to use.

But if you want high-end and have a lot of budget, better arcsaber 11 or 7 pro, ryuga 2, halbertec 8000 for user friendly.

Tension try 25 lbs, if u need control go upper after that. On the other site, if u need power go lower than that. If u ask my tension is main 28 and cross 30 use TKFE and I still search a lot of best string for me

#6 Kwarevo, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    BoyetPhonetics likes this.
  7. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

Aerobite is a fine string. But for a beginner I would not recommend it, as it is not very durable. It will break way too often for you and waste your money.
    Consider Li-Ning 1, or Yonex BG80 or BG65.
    I would go for 10kg tension (I don't use lb's). As a nice middelground. More would be overkill based on the information that you misshit quite a lot - you would need the bigger sweet spot of a lower tension.

8. Christ14

Christ14 New Member

Get a proper shoe. Imo this is the most important one.

I guess if you dont wana train with a coach. You'll slowly get the hang or feel once you play more. And watching tutorial and trying it out.

For starters yonex lineup of play version are decent enough. Suggest to take EB racket like arcsaber

9. BoyetPhonetics

I use Yonex Cascade Drive right now. Pretty happy with footwear, and I don't get too many blisters unlike when I tried to force it with running shoes and thin socks. So, it's really the racket which is my main concern. Based on the discussions here, and the fact that I can't really tell the difference (or can't put into words what the difference is) between using different rackets, I've decided to earn the right to a good racket when I can play competently with what I have. I'll chalk the deficiencies in my play to a skill issue instead of "wOw iT's BeCaUsE i'M nOt UsiNg ThRuStEr F WitH PeRfEcT StRiNgS aNd TeNsiOn"

10. BoyetPhonetics

So far, I haven't really been considering durability as a factor in my strings considering:
    1. I'm supposed to restring in a year about as often as I play in a week (2 times)
    2. I've never snapped any badminton strings, ever. I'd consider it a rite of passage if/when I do lol
    I was actually using Kizuna Z58, the so-called "world's thinnest string" on this Alp-Sport racket at 27lbs (12.2kg) before quite regularly, and they haven't snapped. I don't use it anymore though, I was advised "it's too light to use, you won't get any power and put yourself at risk of injury from overexertion." I now use a several-year-old Nanoray D23 from a friend that hasn't been restringed lol.

11. Budi

Budi Regular Member

BG80 are somewhat demanding to use. Less repulsive, smaller sweetspot, & doubt someone who misshit alot could play a control games which are BG80 best trait. LN1 is good to go or BG65 would be fine to.

27lbs is considered high. When you get your own racket & stringing it, consider you still misshit alot, try lower it like 24-25lbs & see if it help.

& Regarding snapping, there is some factor to it but as per my knowledge, i had fun badminton group & some of them never restring their racket since the 1st time they got the racket + bonus string. But skill wise, they are very much bottom beginner.
    While me myself,
    1. When i misshit during hard full smash, i snap my fresh 1 day string.
    2. After sometimes playing, the string eating each other & eventually snap.

So without knowing you & you mention misshit yet never snap a string, i could only assume you havent been able to properly do full swing motion to gain the most power your body could do, but just flies swatting swing (sorry not mean to belittle you). If this is the case, i seriously recommend you to takes coaching just for 1-2 month (depend on ur budget) & im perfectly sure you would see the different on those short 1-2 month.

12. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

NBG95, BG65ti, or Li Ning No. 1 at 24lbs. That shouldn’t break too easily. I wouldn’t recommend going above 24lbs at your skill level.

#12 pootisfoib, Jun 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  13. Chris88SG

Chris88SG Regular Member

s6edge likes this.