Those who don't like the BWF skirts-only rule

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, May 5, 2011.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Wonder what they were wearing for beach volleyball pre-Acosta. Wonder what the viewing audience was like then. Hmmm...

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

New York Post: Gossip – page six. (01/11/99

BIKINI BOOST FOR BEACH VOLLEY-BABES

THE fledgling sport of women’s beach volleyball is about to get a big boost. The International
    Volleyball Federation has just ruled that, from now on, women players must wear bikinis, and
    they must be teeny. Players will now be required to wear two-piece outfits, and the side of the
    bikini bottom, where it sits on the hips, can be no more than 2 inches wide.

The sport’s most prominent player, model Gabrielle Reece Hamilton, isn’t thrilled. Reece will be
    dramatically affected by the changes, since she’s always played in long tights that cover her legs
    entirely.

“It was explained to me by the head of the federation that promoters in Europe and Japan were
    complaining that some of the girls were wearing baggy shorts and looking hum-drum,” Reece
    told PAGE SIX. “They want the sport to represent a fantasy, while forgetting it’s a sport for us.
    What they’re offering now is this fantasy for people who say, ‘I love the beach, I love the
    summer, I love sandy people.’ Malibu Barbie stuff, and they’re trying to play off that. The
    bottom line is, *** sells.”

Though Reece will have to don the skimpy skivvies, she’s not looking forward to it.

“I mean, I’m in good shape, but I don’t necessarily want my butt hanging out there for everyone
    to see,” she says modestly. “And I don’t want to be playing with my bathing suit, adjusting it and
    fiddling with it, after every play. I mean, you’re jumping and diving and squeezing your butt
    together.”

Beyond these practical concerns, one psychologist with the Australian Institute of Sport, where
    beach volleyball has a strong following, says the sexy new element could hurt the players and the
    sport itself.

“It could hinder women’s performance and induce eating disorders,” worries AIS psychologist
    Jeffrey Bond. It’s blatant discrimination. I wouldn’t be surprised if somewhere down the line
    someone doesn’t challenge this rule in a lawsuit.”

Reece is determined to grin and bare it for now: “At this point, I don’t have the luxury to worry
    about it because the top concern on every player’s list is to make sure the sport keeps going and
    that the tour has venues to play on. It doesn’t matter what you’re wearing if you don’t have
    anywhere to play.”

Men aren’t completely exempt from the new rules: they’ll have to lose the baggy NBA-style
    shorts that have become popular in favor of tighter, shorter bicycle-shorts.

“If you really think about it, you can get pretty uptight about the whole thing,” Reece says. “It’s
    ridiculous. Especially since this is a fairly modern arena: women’s sports. We’re supposed to be
    about liberation and taking charge. But I guess you have to look at the big picture they think this
    will help move the sport off the ground, and it is still a new sport, so if this will help, we’ll wait
    and complain once we get big.”

- I guess they abandoned the male clothing rule ;)

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...T_eJxn&sig=AHIEtbRg2rTHpkigaR837tMlHWd2HVMdnQ

"(Brooks) I teach a module in my sports marketing class that addresses the packaging of
    scopophilia (it's basically pleasurable looking - in the case of sports it's pleasurable
    looking at bodies - both men and women) to attract an audience. The volleyball
    situation is an interesting case study on the dangers of packaging scopophilia if it
    represents exploitation. I want to learn more about beach volleyball and the controversy."

#102 demolidor, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. event

event Regular Member

Could have been more complicated in the BWF's case, since they are also effectively forcing top players to attend some of the events at which the skirt rule would have applied. Thus, it would not have been just a take-it-or-leave-it choice for the top women. They were about to implement a rule saying 'we'll fine you if you don't wear a skirt', along with another 'oh, and we'll fine you if you decide to stay home, too'.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BWF now stands for 'Badminton With Fines'

It's ridiculous isn't it?

BWF now stands for 'Badminton With Fines'. ;););)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BWF has abandoned plans to force women players to wear skirts

So glad that BWF made this announcement;

BWF has abandoned plans to force women players to wear skirts

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=172870

Badminton’s bosses cave in on sport’s skirts code

EMILE BICKERTON
    Published: 2012/05/29 09:24:51 AM

BADMINTON’s world body has abandoned plans to force women players to wear skirts, officials said, in the face of fierce opposition that threatened to cause ructions during the Olympics.

The Badminton World Federation sparked uproar last year when it tried to make skirts or dresses mandatory for female players, in an attempt to attract more fans. But deputy president Paisan Rangsikitpho said the skirts rule — criticised by China, Indonesia and India, and Malaysia’s main Muslim party — had finally been scrapped, two months before the London Games.

"We have shelved the ban (on women wearing shorts)," he said during the Thomas and Uber Cups event in Wuhan, China, which ended on Sunday.

But the federation is still urging players to look their best for the cameras as it vies for audiences, and has launched a push for men and women competitors to work on their "presentation".

"We just want to encourage women and men players to dress properly. We want them to dress nicely, professionally," Paisan said, as he outlined the latest strategy to raise the sport’s profile.

The federation also said it hoped for a "collaborative effort with the players and apparel sponsors", meaning that they want more appealing sportswear on offer, worn by more players.

Jan Lin, the body’s media and communications officer, said the drive to look good was intended to win more TV airtime.

"To get more badminton on TV there are as much expectations on the presentation and charisma of the sport," she said. "The onus is on the (federation) to get players ready and used to the camera and being in the public eye... TV and sponsors are drawn to stars and icons. Looking good on court is one way to be noticed."

Badminton is hugely popular in large parts of Asia but struggles against sports such as football or tennis. More prize money, stars and TV coverage are all part of the plan to reach a wider audience.

In Wuhan, there was a mixture of shorts and skirts — and shorts under skirts — on court. "It should be about what we do, not what we wear," said Denmark’s Karina Jorgensen.

Sapa-AFP

6. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    "We just want to encourage women and men players to dress properly. We want them to dress nicely, professionally," Paisan said, as he outlined the latest strategy to raise the sport’s profile.

Absolutely ridiculous ! This kind of strategy looks desperate and it is not how the game should be promoted .

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BWF people should tell National Associations to finance nice attire for their players

BWF people are forgetting that most Badminton players are not independent players. :eek::eek::eek:

Most independent Tennis players get to choose their own fashion attire (from their sponsors).

In Badminton, clothes worn by players are designed and provided by their National Associations.

BWF people should tell National Associations to finance nicer attire for their players.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i prefer it if the female badminton players dress like female volleyball players. That's pretty. :)

[​IMG]