Thomas/Uber Cup News..

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by george@chongwei, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..Boon Heong has a minor injury now to his foot??..hmm..

Btw, anyone else noticed in post #81 (previous page), in the pic, look closely & guess who is in the red t-shirt, laughing his day away....does he look familiar??..:p ;)

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

his foot injury is not serious...he gets immediately treatment after the ABC..
    everything is ok..:)

3. Erwin Kyoto

Erwin Kyoto Regular Member

China fired up for Thomas and Uber Cup defence
    http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=441767&sid=SPO&ssid=93

[​IMG] Jakarta, May 08: China`s highly-fancied shuttlers, led by the temperamental Lin Dan and his girlfriend Xie Xingfang, aim to reinforce their dominance at the Thomas and Uber Cups ahead of their Olympic assault.

The Chinese juggernaut looks unstoppable as it fine-tunes for gold medal glory at the games in Beijing, although host nation Indonesia fancy their chances of an upset at the elite team championships which start here on Sunday.

China has won the past two Thomas Cups and with a side boasting world number one Lin, third-ranked Bao Chunlai and world number four Chen Jin, they are odds on to claim a third.

But they are not invincible, especially with Indonesia, which has won a record 13 Thomas Cup titles, having a boisterous home crowd behind them at the Senayan Sports Complex and Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat on their team.

"The competition at this year`s Thomas Cup is pretty strong, but in the singles we are confident," said Lin, who needs to be on his best behaviour after allegedly striking coach Ji Xinpeng in a temper tantrum last month.”

"If we play well and make the effort then we can defend our championship. For myself, I want to play each match well and win every point for Team china."

Indonesia will be banking on Hidayat, Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Simon Santoso to work miracles in the singles and world doubles champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan to do their bit.

Bureau Report

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday May 9, 2008

Thomas Cuppers in high spirit for Jakarta challenge
    By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: There were smiles on the faces of the Thomas-Uber Cup players as they left for Jakarta yesterday in a bid to bring back glory for the country.

National men’s doubles shuttler Lee Wan Wah sees the jovial mood as a good sign for Malaysia ahead of the Finals, which will begin on Sunday at the Senayan Indoor Stadium.

Having played in the Thomas Cup team since 1996, Wan Wah feels that the current squad have what it takes to handle the pressure of playing in the premier team event.

At the 2004 Finals in Jakarta, Malaysia crashed out in the quarter-finals. Two years ago in Japan, they went one better - reaching the semi-finals.
    Now, they hope to make it to the final.

[​IMG] Fun time: Choong Tan Fook (second from left) joking with Koo Kien Keat while Wong Choong Hann (left) and Lee Wan Wah look on at the KLIA on Thursday.
    “This year, we are more prepared. Key players like Lee Chong Wei, Tan Boon Heong and Koo Kien Keat are more matured in their approaches. We do not have to worry about players not being able to handle the pressure,” said Wan Wah.

“If we continue to be cool and calm in our approach towards the Finals, we stand a chance of bringing back the trophy. We had a good chance two years ago but (Wong) Choong Hann was injured,” he said.

The Thomas Cup team comprise Chong Wei, Choong Hann, Kien Keat-Boon Heong, Wan Wah-Choong Tan Fook, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif.
    The Uber team are Wong Mew Choo, Julia Wong, Lydia Cheah, Tee Jing Yee, Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty, Lim Pek Siah-Ng Hui Lin, Woon Khe Wei-Sabrina Chong.

On the lack of support shown by his team-mates during the simulation tie on Wednesday, Wan Wah promised that the team would stay united during the Finals.
    [​IMG] Malaysia’s Thomas Cup skipper Wong Choong Hann leading his team and the Uber Cup squad to check in at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport before leaving for Jakarta on Thursday. The Thomas/Uber Cup Finals will be held from Sunday.

“I think the players took it lightly because they were up against their team-mates. We felt like it was just another day of training.
    “But rest assured that it will be different when we face players from other countries,” he said.

“From now on, both the Thomas and Uber Cup players will mentally prepare themselves for the task ahead. Everyone knows deep down in his heart that we have a chance of winning it (Thomas Cup). Everyone will just have to do his or her part.”

Wan Wah said they would not dwell on their previous Thomas Cup outing in Jakarta. Then, the team were sent packing in the quarter-finals.

“The past is long gone and forgotten. It is a whole new challenge in Jakarta this time. We will be ready to face any team – be it China or Indonesia,” said Wan Wah.

Malaysia are in Group B with South Korea and England. If they top the group, they are likely to meet top seeds China in the top half of the draw. But if they finish second in the group, they will take on Indonesia in the last eight.
    Malaysia, who last won the Cup in 1992, will begin their campaign against England on Sunday.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/5/9/sports/21196366.asp&sec=sports

5. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday May 9, 2008

Gade-Christensen could make or break Denmark’s hopes
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: The world of badminton is awaiting with bated breath the return of Peter Gade-Christensen to action in the Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta.

The lanky shuttler could make or break Denmark’s hopes of winning the Cup for the very first time.

After going missing from most of the tournaments this year due to illness, it is hard to gauge his form.

His only appearance this year was in the Korean Open, where he made it to the semi-finals.

His prolonged absence has seen his world rankings drop to eighth in the world and he will play as the second singles for Denmark.

Kenneth Jonassen is the first singles followed by Joachim Persson at third and reserve Jan Jorgensen.

Their impressive doubles line-up consists of Jonas Rasmussen-Lars Paaske, Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen and Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen.
    If Gade-Christensen hits top form, he will be a dangerous player at second singles.

But if he falters, then Denmark will be hard pressed to win any points in the singles.

Jonassen will find it very tough having to beat other players at the first spot, like China’s Lin Dan, Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei, South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan and Indonesia’s Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

In fact, Chong Wei has a good record against Jonassen.

Of all the five Cup contenders, Denmark probably have the weakest third singles in Persson. The Dane could be easy meat if Malaysia’s Hafiz Hashim, South Korean Shon Seung-mo, China’s Chen Jin and Indonesian Simon Santoso play true to form.

Malaysia’s chief coach Yap Kim Hock said that the Danes had depth in the doubles and would go all out to steal a point in the singles.

“Denmark’s singles strength has been diluted with a drop in Peter’s form. He has hardly seen action this year and his game is not up to par. He has lost some of his sharpness,” said Kim Hock.

“If we were to meet them (the Danes), I suspect that the third singles will be the deciding factor.

“Their doubles pairs have improved so much. Their top pair have done well. They could also pull off a surprise by fielding their third pair of Boe-Morgensen, who are making a comeback after an injury to Boe. They are quite lethal too.

“Overall, they do not look as strong as they were in the last two editions. But these Europeans are mentally very strong and are known to rise to the occasion. I know they are very fired up to win their first Cup. I will not rule them out as a threat to our team.”

There is a possibility that Malaysia may meet Denmark in the semi-finals. In order for it to happen, Malaysia must finish as runners-up in Group B, which also comprises South Korea and England.

By virtue of being the group runners-up, they are likely to meet Indonesia in the quarter-finals.

The winners will then face Denmark in the last four.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/5/9/sports/21192914.asp&sec=sports

6. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday May 9, 2008

Chong Wei aims to cast out 2004 Cup Finals demons

KUALA LUMPUR: National number one men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei will be out to exorcise the ghosts of the 2004 Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta.
    It was Chong Wei’s first Finals and he played as the third singles.
    Unfortunately for him, Malaysia were sent packing in the quarter-finals.
    “It was my first but worst Finals outing. I do not want a repeat of that,” Chong Wei said before leaving for Jakarta for the Finals, which will begin on Sunday at the Senayan Indoor Stadium.

Chong Wei said that he would try to rally support from the Indonesian fans.
    [​IMG] Our challenge: The Thomas Cup and Uber Cup players posing during a photo session before leaving for Jakarta on Thursday.

“The Indonesian fans can be quite supportive if we are not playing against their players. I have experienced this when I won the Indonesian Open title there (in 2007). I will try to win their hearts again,” said Chong Wei.

Despite having a big role to play in this year’s challenge, Chong Wei said he was not feeling the jitters.

“I used to get nervous. Now, after playing in so many major tournaments, I feel like this is just another task. I will stay focused and give my best,” he said.

7. eaglehelang

NST

9 May

Wan Wah feels Malaysia can do it

By : K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
    Lee Chong Wei (left) chats with team captain Wong Choong Hann (right) while Hafiz Hashim (second from left), Tan Boon Heong (centre) and Fairuzizuan Tazari look on in the bus before their flight to Jakarta yesterday. — Pic: HAIRUL ANUAR ISMAIL

THE transformation of key shuttlers Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Kien-Tan Boon Heong into matured internationals, as far as veteran Lee Wan Wah is concerned, has given Malaysia a fair chance of winning the Thomas Cup after a 16-year-lapse.
    Wan Wah said the top shuttlers' standard will be an asset to the team and a committed effort from the others will give Malaysia a genuine chance after failing three times -- 1994, 1998 and 2002 -- in the final after last winning the Thomas Cup in 1992.

Wan Wah, appearing in his seventh Thomas Cup campaign since making his debut in 1996, said he will also be going all out to achieve the goal in his final attempt.

"Our team this year are much better prepared and we have a fair chance of bringing back the Thomas Cup. I believe if everyone plays their role, this can be achieved," said Wan Wah before leaving for Jakarta yesterday.

"The plus factor is that our key players Chong Wei and doubles pair Kien Keat-Boon Heong are now matured international shuttlers and this will help the team in a big way."
    Wan Wah is also looking forward to a possible quarter-final match-up against Indonesia although Malaysia have never beaten their rivals in Jakarta.

"That is in the past and it doesn't mean that we will lose to Indonesia every time we play in Jakarta. However, we don't know for sure we will face Indonesia as it will depend on the team strategy.

"It doesn't really matter as we are prepared to battle any team."

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Sport/2235393/Article/index_html

8. george@chongwei

LET THE WAR BEGINS!!!!
    IAAAAH!!!!:p:p:p:p:p:):):D

9. george@chongwei

Dane ready to put behind three months of hell

DANISH ace Peter Gade-Christensen is ready to put behind three months of anguish and turmoil to help Denmark end their quest for their first Thomas Cup.
    Having endured difficult times – seeing his father suffer from an illness in January and then breaking his ribs twice because of excessive coughing as a result of pneumonia – the Dane is all fired up to stamp his mark by doing well in the Finals.
    The lanky Gade-Christensen, who appeared to have lost some weight, was seen hard at work with his team-mates during a practice session at the Istora Senayan Stadium yesterday.
    “It has been a turbulent three months. My father was ill in January and I had to skip the Malaysian Open,” said Gade-Christensen, 31.
    [​IMG] Hardship: Denmark’s Peter Gade-Christensen (left) broke his ribs twice due to pneumonia.
    “Then, I broke my ribs twice in January and March. There were so many check-ups and scans.
    “I had difficult cases of pneumonia. I did not know that it was possible to have broken ribs by coughing a lot. I had to take time off from badminton to take care of this problem.
    “I had great plans for this Beijing Olympic Games year. I had hoped to accomplish so much but there were many setbacks.
    “I am better now. My training has picked up and I am looking forward to a good showing in the Thomas Cup Finals as I build up for the Olympics.”
    Denmark have good memories of Jakarta, having pulled off a surprise to reach the final in 2004. They, however, lost 0-3 to China.
    And Gade-Christensen has again picked defending champions China as the team to beat this time.
    [​IMG] S-t-r-e-t-c-h: Denmark’s Tine Rasmussen (left) and her team-mates warming up before their training session at the Istora Senayan Stadium in Jakarta yesterday.
    “Indonesia have home advantage but we have shown in the past that we can beat them. We are not afraid of these teams but we have lots of respect for them,” he said.
    “I think, Denmark, Malaysia and South Korea are the second pack of teams who always make life difficult for others. For now, we will focus on beating Japan (in a bid to become the Group D champions).
    The others in the Danish Thomas Cup team are Kenneth Jonassen, Joachim Persson, Jan Jorgensen, Jonas Rasmussen-Lars Paaske, Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen and Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen.

10. george@chongwei

Jalani: Koreans are not a threat as our pairs are tactically better

SOUTH Korea’s men’s doubles players have been in smashing form this year.
    But that’s no reason to fear them, says former international Jalani Sidek.
    In fact, he rates All-England champions Jung Jae-sung-Lee Yong-dae and Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Ji-man as ‘non-threats’ to the other teams in the Thomas Cup Finals.
    Jalani, who was a member of the Thomas Cup winning team in 1992, feels that Malaysia’s Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong are the best men’s doubles pair among the lot.
    And he’s placing high hopes on the pair to make a difference for Malaysia in Jakarta.
    “I do not admire the Koreans. They play like robots. They are doing well because of their superb fitness. But tactically, our boys are way better. The Koreans have no flair in their game,” said Jalani.
    “But Koo and Tan have the right mix – speed, great attacking ability and sustaining power. Their problem is their failure to latch on to their opponents’ weaknesses. If they can get their act right, they will be unbeatable.”
    On Malaysia’s chances, Jalani feels that the Cup is within reach.
    “We have three strong doubles pairs. I have a good feeling of our team’s chances in the Finals. In 1992, we banked on one singles and two doubles to win,” he said.
    “And this could happen again in Jakarta.”
    Two other members of the 1992 Cup-winning squad – Rashid Sidek and Cheah Soon Kit – also felt that Malaysia had a shot at winning the Cup.
    “I think our singles and doubles are equally strong. We have several experienced players and this will be an advantage for us,” said Rashid.
    “The Thomas Cup is all about team unity. In 1992, we were not the favourites but the home advantage and our great team strength made it possible for us to defy the odds.
    “China and Indonesia are not as strong as before. I see a big window of opportunity for Malaysia to win the title this time. It is all about the players’ mental preparation now.”
    Soon Kit, while agreeing with Rashid, hoped that history would not repeat itself.
    “We had a good chance at the last Finals in Japan. But we made a mistake by fielding an inexperienced reserve. And when (Wong) Choong Hann got injured, (Kuan) Beng Hong could not beat Joachim (Persson and Malaysia went on to lose 2-3 to Denmark).
    “Now, we have named another inexperienced reserve. I just hope that we have not made another mistake. But if everything goes according to order, we have a shot at winning the Cup just as China, Indonesia, South Korea and Denmark,” said Soon Kit, who is the head coach of KLRC Bhd.

11. george@chongwei

Kien Keat smells something fishy going on in Jakarta

DOUBLES shuttler Koo Kien Keat is perplexed at the lack of enthusiasm shown by the teams at this year’s Thomas Cup Finals.
    He feels that most of the teams seemed more interested in their preparation for the Beijing Olympic Games, which will be held in August.
    “We had warm-up activities early in the morning. It was just an exercise to keep us together. But I did not see any other teams doing the same like how it was before,” said Kien Keat.
    “The atmosphere was livelier in my two previous Finals. Even Japan, who used to be so serious about the Finals, looked so much at ease. I hardly saw the Korean players around.
    “I smell something fishy. Either that or the teams are just not interested in the Finals. Perhaps the Thomas Cup fever will rise when the competition begins on Sunday (tomorrow).
    “I hope the atmosphere will get better and livelier,” said Kien Keat, who will play with Tan Boon Heong as the second doubles for Malaysia.
    Kien Keat made his debut at the 2004 Finals in Jakarta with Chew Choon Eng before teaming up with Chan Chong Ming in Japan two years ago.

12. george@chongwei

Malaysians in high spirits despite hiccups in Jakarta

THE Malaysian Thomas and Uber Cup squads flew into Jakarta on Thursday evening and found themselves having to overcome several minor hurdles.
    But all was quickly forgotten the moment they got their first feel of playing on the courts at the Istora Senayan Stadium yesterday evening.
    The shuttlers were in a relaxed mood – breezing through their first training session at the venue despite being watched by a huge number of Indonesian media.
    [​IMG] Hard at work: Malaysian Thomas Cuppers (from left) Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Fairuzizuan and Lee Wan Wah testing out the courts at the Istora Senayan Stadium yesterday.
    After touching down in Jakarta on Thursday, the Malaysian squad faced difficulty in getting to the team hotel.
    A high tide had caused flooding in several low lying areas in the city, forcing the bus carrying the Malaysian squad to be caught in a massive traffic jam.
    Despite having a police escort to clear the way, it still took the national side more than two hours to dodge the floods and reach their hotel – a journey which normally takes less than 30 minutes.
    After arriving at the hotel, the Malaysians found out that their 20-player squad were only allotted two courts for their first training session yesterday morning.
    Assistant team manager Hou Kim Tho said that he was unhappy with the allocation, especially since several other teams had the chance to train on three or four courts at the same time.
    There are altogether four courts in the main arena at the stadium.
    “I voiced my dissatisfaction to the organisers because there was clear inequality in the training allocations. It is not proper to give certain teams an unfair advantage by allowing them more training space than the others,” said Kim Tho.
    Luckily Malaysia’s request was accepted and the players managed to train yesterday evening on all four courts.
    The Malaysian shuttlers spent an hour playing three-on-three before the national coaches took charge of their respective players for the remaining hour on specific drills.
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock was not perturbed over Indonesian ‘spies’ turning up during Malaysia’s training session yesterday.
    “Anybody can come and watch everybody train. I have no worries about our rivals turning up at our training sessions,” he said.
    “Both the Thomas and Uber Cup squads have prepared well for this year’s tournament and I am happy that the players did not show any discomfort during our first training session at the Senayan. We are ready for the challenge.”
    National doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky was a popular figure at the stadium yesterday as the local television networks were practically queuing up to interview the former Indonesian legend on his thoughts about Malaysia and Indonesia’s chances.
    “Given a choice I would prefer Malaysia and Indonesia to meet in the final rather than have one of the countries take on China. As for the winner, of course I choose Malaysia because I am a professional and I have a job to accomplish with the Malaysian squad,” said Rexy.
    Tomorrow, the Malaysian men will open their Thomas Cup Group B campaign with a match against England while the women will take on New Zealand.
    The Malaysian Thomas Cup team comprise Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Mohd Arif Latif (singles) and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Zakry Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari (doubles).
    The Uber Cup team players are Wong Mew Choo, Julia Wong, Lydia Cheah, Tee Jing Yi (singles) and Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui, Lim Pek Siah-Ng Hui Lin and Woon Khe Wei-Sabrina Chong (doubles).

13. Erwin Kyoto

Erwin Kyoto Regular Member

China vows to retain Thomas, Uber Cups

source: http://old.thejakartapost.com/detailsports.asp?fileid=20080510.U01&irec=0
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    Badminton heavyweight China vows to retain supremacy in the Thomas and Uber Cups -- the world's most prestigious men's and women's badminton team championships respectively.

Competition for the two cups is set to begin Sunday in Jakarta.
    China has successfully defended the Uber Cup for 10 years and the Thomas Cup for four years.
    "I hope both trophies can stay in our country a bit longer," China's head coach Li Yongbo told journalists at Hotel Sultan on Friday.
    Other countries such as Indonesia, Denmark, South Korea and Malaysia stand a good chance to win the cups, he said.
    "Each country must fight hard to win this tournament," he said.
    He said Indonesia had a good new men's doubles team in Candra Wijaya and Nova Widiyanto.
    "They played well at the Asian Championship and they have a lot of experience," he said.
    The world No. 1 singles player Lin Dan said he would fight hard in the competition.
    "I don't mind playing against Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat," he said about Indonesia's first and second singles players..
    Sony is skillfully better than Taufik, he said, "But Taufik has more experience."
    Meanwhile, Indonesia is confident its players are physically fit for the demanding week-long comeptition at the Bung Karno sports hall.
    Physical fitness has improved after an almost two-month intensive training regime under Jason Kurfurst of Australia, said Uber Cup team coach Aryono Miranat on Friday.
    "The National Sports Council (KONI) has helped by assigning Kurfurst to train our players," he said.
    "Kurfurst has set players specific training schedules to improve their physical condition," he said.
    Sutiyoso, chairman of the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI), said the association had been preparing players for the Uber and Thomas Cup tournament since last year.
    "After evaluating performance we concluded most players were weak on physical endurance," he told journalists during the training session.
    He added that Kurfurst trained players methodically by monitoring comprehensive data on their progress.
    "I hope our players can win the Uber Cup at home, or at least, can get to the semifinals," he said.
    Indonesia is taking on the Netherlands on Monday and Japan on Tuesday in Group Z.
    Indonesia is desperate to win its first Uber Cup trophy since 1996. The Netherlands, backed by top player Mia Audina, reached the finals in 2006.
    Japan is looking for its first win since 1980.
    Jo Novita, who pairs with Greysia Polii, expects tough opposition from both opponents.
    "I am not too familiar with Japanese players' strengths, but they must be tough to beat," the 27-year-old shuttler said.
    She said she was ready for the matches although they were likely to be very physically demanding. "There's a 50-50 chance for us to win the game," she said. "Greysia and I will focus on keeping it together. If we lose the match, it will discourage the whole team." (ewd)
    [/FONT]

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Very interesting comment..

...wow, this comment by LinDan is very interesting...I thought, all along, Taufik is a better player, skill-wise or technique-wise?!?!...:confused:

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Fishy no fishy... still big money if one can with it. Imagine if the malaysian win it. Wah... can retire already. Forget about olympics also can.

Those guys like LCW and LWW doing aerobic izit??? hehe..

Again... try not to give too much hope lah. Semi is a good target. Final is a bonus. Winning is retire bonus.

16. sophiaJ

sophiaJ Regular Member

student
    read about the jalani's opinion 7am this morning...
    feel that he's quite arrogant in making such statements...
    the game is yet to be start and he already condemning kor pairs that are in better form than mas pairs...
    where to put our face if touch wood we lost to kor pairs?

#116 sophiaJ, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  17. george@chongwei

hi there.
    welcome to the forum

18. eaglehelang

George ah, next time you post news from The Star, you can actually click on "Print Article", then it'll have all info, including source. That way, easier for all - we're supposed to quote the source.

NST

10 May

Badminton / Build up to Thomas and Uber Cup: Boon Heong cleared to play

2008/05/10

DOUBLES shuttler Tan Boon Heong, who suffered an injury to his right foot on Wednesday in Kuala Lumpur, has been given the all clear to play in Malaysia's opening Thomas Cup Finals match against England tomorrow. National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said a scan on Boon Heong's foot showed he neither broke any bone nor tore a ligament.

"Doctors at the National Sports Council (NSC) who scanned his foot said that there was nothing to be worried about. I tested him on court today (yesterday) just to make sure and he looks fine," said Rexy.

"However, if he does complain of pain before the match I will rest him as we have a more important match against South Korea on Monday."

The 21-year-old Boon Heong complained of pain in his right foot after playing in the friendly match between the Thomas Cup team and a Malaysian Selection on Wednesday.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2236511/Article/pppull_index_html

Hmmm, didnt earlier report state left heel/foot? nvm

19. eaglehelang

NST

2008/05/10

Badminton / Build up to Thomas and Uber Cup: Gade-Christensen desperate to make an impact

addthis_pub = 'nstonline';
    [​IMG]
    PETER GADE-CHRISTENSEN

IT has been the worst start of the season for Denmark's Peter Gade-Christensen, who has been out of the game for almost three months with two broken ribs sustained due to over coughing during a bout of pneumonia.

But the 31-year-old shuttler is back for the Thomas Cup Finals, his first tournament since reaching the semi-finals of the Korean Open in January.

Gade-Christensen, has good memories of the Istora Senayan Stadium as it was there that he led Denmark to victory against Indonesia in the 2004 edition.

However, unlike in the previous two Thomas Cup editions, the World No 8 will play second singles while teammate Kenneth Jonassen, the current European champion, takes over as the first singles for the Danes.

"It has been a difficult year so far, the most challenging in my career, mainly because I broke two ribs due to over coughing," said the Dane at the Istora Senayan Stadium in Jakarta yesterday.

"As I could not train much, I decided to skip tournaments. I thought then I would never return to the game but thank God I'm back."

Gade-Christensen, who only recovered from pneumonia a month ago, has been training very hard for the event.

"I feel very motivated this time. I believe the challenges I endured over the past months will make me even more determined to deliver," he said.

Gade Christensen, who led Denmak to two appearances in the final -- 2004 (Jakarta) and 2006 (Tokyo) -- hopes that this time around the team will win the Thomas Cup.

"It will be the last hurrah for several players in the Danish team and I believe this factor will make us more stronger.

"Shuttlers like Jonassen, Jens Erikssen and Martin Lundgaard Hansen, who will all retire after the Beijing Olympics in August, will be going all out as they want to win the Cup."

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2236517/Article/index_html

20. eaglehelang

NST

10 May

Badminton / Build up to Thomas and Uber Cup: Tournament hit by scheduling row

2008/05/10

A SCHEDULING row marred preparations for the elite Thomas and Uber Cup Finals yesterday after Indonesia threatened a boycott and the Netherlands blasted the poor organisation. The incident was sparked by Indonesia, who were unhappy that they would have to play the Netherlands and Japan, both considered tough rivals, on the same day in the women's Uber Cup team championship.

According to the Jakarta Post newspaper, they threatened to walk out of the event that they are hosting.

"We threatened to boycott the tournament should Indonesia be required to play twice in one day," said Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) official Gandhi Sulistyanto.

"I protested because the information was unclear."

The Badminton World Federation caved in and altered the schedule so Indonesia play Japan tomorrow and the Netherlands the following day.

But this has infuriated the Dutch team, who said they would lodge a protest as they are now forced to play twice on Monday.

"It was a ridiculous (decision)," Netherlands head coach Martijn van Dooremalen told the newspaper.

"They told me only an hour after I arrived at the hotel. The rescheduling requires a change in strategy and the team's line-up for each match." -- AFP

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2236399/Article/pppull_index_html