Thomas Cup play-off prediction

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by cxytdn, Mar 12, 2008.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

Thomas Cup play-off prediction

Attached Files:

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Not realistic :cool::confused:

ENG to beat either KOR or MAS :eek: ??

MAS/KOR's 2 singles WILL BEAT ENG's. Their 2 doubles will also take at least 1 pt.

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, if at least you had Mike Tredgett, Ray Stevens, Martin Dew and Steve Baddeley together with Anthony Clark, Robert Blair and Nathan Robertson, it could have been possible to at least nick Malaysia.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

MAS & KOR could swap places..

..hmm, am i seeing KOR & MAS finishing behind ENG in their group's standing (Group B)??..Personally, barring any injuries, i think MAS will face INA and CHN will face KOR in the TC Semifinals round..And i won't be surprised if the KOR squad pulls out an upset, esp. after what had transpired in the last 3-4 weeks and in this early part of the year, and appears in the Finals..:cool:

#4 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    MAS and KOR might intentionally loose to ENG in order to feed ENG to the Chinese Dragon's mouth... while the two of them battle DEN and INA for a place in the finals... ;)

ENG, on the other hand, would be very happy to battle JPN or GER for a place in the Thomas Cup semifinals... Going to the Thomas Cup semis for ENG-JPN-GER is a huge achievement! :D Loosing only to China is something they can proudly tell their friends back home...

6. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student

Well actually it would be realistic...everyone in the group would try and finish 2nd or 3rd in order to avoid China...maybe

7. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Has this actually happened before (in the TC Finals)? I mean throwing away matches to set up a draw that they want. Surely national pride is at stake and also BWF might take action? :confused:

8. markchan

markchan Regular Member

If KOR and MAS can put national pride aside, this cud be a reality as the B2 is likely to meet a relatively weaker team in the playoffs and they can afford to let the reserves play and yet win and go thru the SFs.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It might look..

..like a "clever" way of avoiding an early "elimination" in the stomach of the Chinese Dragon, but losing to ENG in their group play might backfire on the KOR and MAS squads (both could lose to both the DEN and INA squads in the QF round).
    The Semifinals, instead, might look like this:
    ENG vs. CHN (top half) and DEN vs. INA (bottom half).....ENG, by reaching the Semis, will definitely have the last laugh...:p;)

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The above play-off prediction indicates both MAS and KOR try to avoid title-holder CHN in last four so MAS, DEN, KOR and host INA will face each other at quarter to hunt 2 semifinal tickets. Meanwhile, CHN has very smooth path to reach finale as they will challenge weak team Japan or England at semifinal. What a nightmare scenario for bottom-half draw!

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Why not.....every one is trying to avoid Chn...there is no early elimination in group...even to finished as 3rd. place in group....and all the seeded team except Chn.....will squeeze in the lower section of the draw....and leaving chn....relaxing in the top half........all the way till Final...hahahaha..........

clever ......clever......;)....:D:D:D

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CHN is so beatable nowadays

I don't understand the postings here.
    What is this 'avoid CHN at all costs' mentality?Consider this, based on recent trends(last 12 months):
    * LD : beatable
    * BCL: beatable
    * CJ : beatable
    * CY : beatable
    MDs : beatable
    The clear indication has been CHN players get beaten by both regular and 'non' opponents.This means CHN is highly vulnerable on the day of action.
    Don't you think that there are now more non-CHN teams that are stronger and that CHN team is actually weaker than before?
    Has it occurred to you that LYB is more and more worried that team CHN is at its most jittery state?(So much so that CHN feared KOR enough to pull out of GO08 to avoid KOR and that the fear is still there?)

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

14. olympic

olympic Regular Member

If KOR can defeat MAS,i won't say is an upset.It is possible KOR to beat MAS,based on the superb performance of the KOR team since beginning of 2008.It is unlikely ENG could beat MAS but if(very big IF)ENG beat MAS,it is absolutely a very BIG UPSET!Of course the above "IF",i don't wish to turn into reality..

15. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I'm in the England team and I'm sorry but there is no way we can beat MAS or KOR. We have a young team with no robertson, blair or clark so i think 2 5-0's are on the cards. will be fun though.

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed, it will be a miracle if ENG can beat either MAS or KOR, despite both Asian teams fielding doubles players as singles players or vice-versa.

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    China are very beatable currently.

With INA/KOR/MAS capable of winning both MD against them, this means there is a lot of pressure for CHN to win all three MS, which is always a tough task in TC.

Good luck Ben-you'll need it!

18. badders7

badders7 Regular Member

Congratulation being on the english team Ben. I agree with you, there is no chance ENG can beat MAS or KOR, at least not if MAS or KOR wants to win. But on the other hand, if one of them wants to lose, I'm sure they'll find a way!
    Personally I'm sure MAS doesnt want to finish 3rd in the group. Imagine they did and then lost to DEN in the quarterfinal. It is very possible. Would be the worst Thomas Cup finals ever for MAS I imagine. Losing 3 out of 4 matches, only being able to beat Canada (probably). How do you think the media and BAM will respond to that? I'm pretty sure they wont be happy about it.....
    Same goes for Korea, even though I think it would be bigger disaster for MAS.

I really hope KOR wins the group as I think they have a great chance of beating CHN. Both mens doubles would have good chances of winning. Park against Lin Dan and Lee Hyun Il against Bao Chunlai, could also result in 2 victories for KOR. I'm not saying they will win for sure, but they do have the chance.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Congrats,Ben!!!
    That's smart of ENG to send the young ones for the exposure knowing there's no chance of winning TC and win big in 2012 OG!
    I'll cheer for ENG so you guys put in your best efforts.