Thomas Cup outside Asia?

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by **KZ**, May 13, 2010.

1. badders7

badders7 Regular Member

No problem. The picture demolidor showed you is from semifinals day. Can only fit 2 courts on that day as they set up more VIP seats on the floor.

The world championships was actually meant to be played in a much bigger arena. The place where the ATP Paribas Paris Master in tennis is being played. I think it can hold 6 or 7000 spectators. But for some reason they changed it to Stade Pierre de Coubertin (the one in the picture). Cant seem to remember the reason for changing.

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

The "Thomas" in Thomas cup came from the name of the first president of WBF (I think it used to be called IBF) Sir GeorgeThomas.

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=11243

Uber Cup:
    The Uber Cup is named after a former British women's badminton player, Betty Uber, who in 1950 had the idea of hosting a women's event similar to that of the men .[1] She also made the draw for the 1956-1957 inaugural tournament, which took place at Lytham St. Annes in Lancashire, England.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_Cup

Sudirman Cup:
    Sudirman Cup is the world mixed team badminton championship which takes place every two years. There are five matches in every round: men and women's singles, men and women's doubles and mixed doubles. The Cup is named after **** Sudirman, a former Indonesian badminton player and the founder of the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudirman_Cup

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yep 4 courts, thought it might have been 5 but should indeed be 4. We'll see how things go at the Worlds :cool:. Apparently Coubertin can hold almost 5,000 but you'd never say by looking at it in the pictures. Bercy can hold 14,000 and looks pretty awesome but perhaps a little too big? Anyway there are no events scheduled at Bercy from July to mid September so perhaps some construction work or so??

Maybe they can test the TUC qualifiers there first sometime although I'd rather they hold it right here again ;).

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Eruropean countries are not interested in hosting TC/UC...thats why TC/UC is always in Asia...but Europeans love hosting Sudirman cup..
    It seems that China may host the next TC/UC.

5. sen

sen Regular Member

I think Taiwan should host the TC/UC