Thinking on buying a Stringing machine. What should I go for

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by pucko, Jan 7, 2020.

1. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Hello.

I'm thinking on buying a stringing machine and start to string.

I've been looking at two different electrical machines.

1. Pros Pro MT 400
    2. Premium Stringer 8700

Are any of those a good choise? Pro's and Con's on those?

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Do you plan to string your own rackets only or do you expect to string for other people as well? And if so, how many string jobs do you expect to do per year?

Cause the first question for me is, if it makes sense to directly go for a cheap electric machine instead of starting with a decent drop weight base machine and then later on make an upgrade with a WISE tension head when the numbers justify it or at least when you're sure that stringing will be a long term hobby for you.

Regarding the two candidates:
    1) That seems to be an AEF-made machine which seems to be a clone of the Superstringer T70. It has a lot of good features like the self-centering main- and side supports and also very decent clamps and semi-automatic bases. So that looks suprisingly good for a machine that says "Pro's Pro" on the side. The tension head will be the big question mark since there won't be much experience with that one around regarding build quality. Overall, it looks like an interesting package, especially when you look at the price tag.
    A fair warning though: The word "customer service" does not exist for Pro's Pro. So if you decide to go for it, then don't order it from PP directly, but go through a shop.

2) The Premium Stringer machines have a good reputation and are solid machines. Looking at the features though, the 8700 misses a lot of quite convenient stuff compared to the MT 400 (semi-automativ clamp bases and self-centering main supports). Also, we had several threads in the past years in which users were not very happy with the Premium Stringer clamps - some of them bought the AEF ones instead and clearly preferred them. Personally, I don't like those round-gripper tensioning heads, but I guess that is a matter of personal taste.

Possible alternatives:
    1) Superstringer E70 or E20
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...PERSTRINGER-E70-electronic-Black-edition.html
    I've tested that motor a while ago and actually found it fully okay:

It's made from the same company that builds the WISE tension head and shares the same gripper.

2) Superstringer E90 (badminton only!!!)
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...e-SUPERSTRINGER-E90-Badminton-electronic.html

3) Superstringer T70 Electronic
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...chine-SUPERSTRINGER-T70-electronic-gruen.html
    If you can stretch your budget a bit, then this would be my personal choice.

As said, the Superstringers come from the same manufacturer as the MT400 and are built for the shop Tennisman.de exclusively. I've been dealing with Dirk from Tennisman for a couple of years now and his customer service has always been top notch (and I think that many other BC members can chime in here... @Super85, @ucantseeme for example). So if you have any issues or questions with your machine, you can be sure that you will get good and quick support. And to me, that is worth the extra costs compared to the PP machines every day of the year, especially when you are just starting off as a stringer.

#2 s_mair, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    nek4d, Mr Arc2 and Super85 like this.
  3. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

My first machine was a Premium Stringer 8600 which means the same turntable mechanics as the 8700. I would say it is a good machine that is easy to operate for a beginner, but I wouldn't buy it if I had known what I know today.

I understand that you can be uncertain about the big investment on your first machine at the same time as you want to get as much as you can for the money, but do you have a feeling if you think that stringing is something for you and that there may be a small clientele around you so choose your machine with care to avoid the unnecessary future costs of upgrades.

After about two years of stringing with the Premium Stringer then the desire thoughts of improvements began to come. First of all the PS stringclamps are directly useless and dangerous for tensions over 25lbs...they slips and damage the strings, and you end up tired of always having to fight when you lock/unlock the swivel clamps. The cost of replacing those components was as great as a brand new stable dropweight machine including desirable components as well as a larger size of machine making it more comfortable with space for the hands to operate so ended up with my second stringingmachine purchase.

Therefore, I would recommend that you first look at what kind of mechanics the machine has, and you will always have the opportunity to upgrade to electronic considering Wise which is a well proven versatile unit. The tensionhead on the PS 8700 is nothing to cheer for and feels cheap in its design, nothing I recommend to bet on.

It seems that Pro's pro wants to raise the level of their business a little now considering what they write about their previous reputation on their website and incorporating new machines from other factories than before.

I can't answer how reliable Pros pro is with their customer support, but their new MT400 turntable mechanics comes from AEF like the Superstringer 70 series which is a great machine for the money. The tensionunit looks very interesting with a knot button and a closed dustcover over the tensionway etc...hope it is reliable?

I can do nothing but stand behind @s_mair words about Tennisman.de and his cost-effective variants of machines with the Superstringers are much better options than a PS8700.

Now I've mumbled so much that I almost forgot to give you a quick answer to the question, and it's easily an MT400 before the PS8700.

nek4d likes this.
  4. milou

milou Regular Member

Dear

1. Pros Pro MT 400
    2. Premium Stringer 8700

I will say neither.
    Pros Pro is not of good quality at all and the 8700 stringer does not have a linear engine.
    The engine Pros Pro is bad quality compare to tennishead 2086.
    The 8700 is a premium stringer 3600 with a engine average quality.
    It would be better to choose for example a premium stringer 3800 and an engine TennisHead 2086.

the reputation of this association is well known and works well over the long term. No problem to string 14-15 kg in tension
    premium stringer is best quality than Pros pro.

nek4d likes this.
  5. Pantoufle

Pantoufle New Member

Hi,

Pucko, I'm a little bit in the same situation of you.

I recently wrote to Dirk from tennisman.de about Superstringer T70 + Wise. I want to step up quality.
    So, Dirk advised me to buy a StringMaster Deluxe (with large plate) and Wise. They cost 300 / 400 € more than S70 + Wise, but better quality. I watched the videos of s_mair who can confirm that ;)

Actually, Stringjobs per month : 7, but i'm the only one stringer of my club, 130 members, so i think i will string more soon...

I already have a PS 3600 + floorstand since one year, it's my first machine (old second-hand). Maybe new was better, but it's another story...
    I confirm the word of Super85 : PS good machine to begin, but clamp and clamp base are very cheap... and my arm support "move"...
    So, if you sure you will string a lot of rackets (10/15 per months), take a good machine now.

If you want to know for yourself, or just try to see if you love it, take a decent drop weight machine like Superstring t20 479 €, you have tool and badminton clamp for this price, it's a better choice than a PS 3600 who chost 350 but without tool and badminton clamp. And you don't have semi-automatic clampbase !). This is my little experience... ;)

Someone know if the PS 3600 floorstand is compatible with StringMaster (large plate) deluxe ? Dirk don't give me an anwser... And, description about StringMaster Deluxe on his website are old... i don't know if the price (1 500 €) will be change with the newest machine...

++

nek4d, Super85 and s_mair like this.
  6. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

If I had been looking for a new machine today and knew what I know today I would have bought a Stringmaster Delux without hesitation. After my Superstringer purchase I also upgraded it with the same bases that the Delux has. Although they became more expensive as a spare part afterwards to me, instead of the 300 € extra when looking at an entire machine, they are worth the extra cost for the machine when you also get a couple of really good stringclamps supplied with the machine.

I almost think that soon me and S_mair can take out a salesman's salary from Tennisman. ;)

But we don't say good things about him for without coverage... he is available to us here at BC and gives us good information on about machines and tools and listens to the desires of products we have and works out solutions to it with his opportunities and contacts. I really appreciate that, and choose to share my experiences of doing business with him.

If your floorstand will not fit then you can always do as I did and mount a wooden board in between the stand and the machine then you get the opportunity to drill and screw it together to make it fit.

nek4d likes this.
  7. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Thanks for a great post. It will point me in the correct direction.

For now I'm just intrested in stringing my own rackets. I like to be in control :)
    I rather stretch my budget and get something really good instead of buying something to sheep. I think an Electric
    is the way to go for me. I'll have a look at the T70. I guess that the extra money is a good spend here.
    Very seldom I get disapointed when afterwords if I spend some extra money to get something really good. It is always the oposit, when I try to save some money and go for a sheep alternate is the times I regret it afterwords.

Thanks again for your post and your great help.

8. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Thanks. I will look at the String Master delux to, For a newbee , what is Wise everyone is talking about?

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That is the best reason to buy a stringing machine. :D

The WISE is this: https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...-Tension-Head-Tennishead-V14-incl-Diablo.html
    It's the industry standard for electrical replacement tension heads and offers a lot of value for the money. It's very, very robust, precise, easy to handle. Building a tension head is not rocket science, so it's very likely that the MT400 motor also doesn't suck completely, but you'll be on the safe and well know side if you go with a WISE.

The Stringmaster Deluxe would currently be probably the highest level machine in terms of features and build quality before looking at the "big guns" like Yonex PT5 or anything similar. It so happens that I made a rather thorough demo of the first version of the machine - and spoiler, I bought it afterwards:

There have been some minor upgrades in the meatime, so the side supports are now slightly improved compared to what you see in the video. The clamps and bases are clearly the highlight of the whole machine. You can hopefully get a good impression of them in the second part of the review.

But looking at the whole package, the T70 is not that far below the Stringmaster. The biggest difference probably are the clamp bases - so that would be the question for you if they are worth the price difference for you. Both machines offer a great package with lots of features that support you to string at top level. So if you mess up a job, you can be sure that it was you and not the machine. :)

nek4d likes this.
  10. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Ahh ok. Thanks. It looks like it is that head on the T70 so that seems to be a very good choise then. I thought it was something extra that I had to buy to the machine.

I start to feel that the T70 is what I should go for. Thanks again for your help.

Super85 and s_mair like this.
  11. milou

milou Regular Member

I prefer premium stringer 3800 with engine tennishead 2086, because I can string badminton and tennis and it's a very good quality. S70 is just to string badminton. Premium stringer is a very good quality.

#11 milou, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

No, it’s not. T70 has self-centering movable towers and can handle all sorts of rackets. The S70 is a badminton only machine.

13. pucko

pucko Regular Member

I will not string badminton only so currently i think I will go for a S90 machine, it seems to have the same tension head.

14. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

The S90 is also a badminton only machine with no moveble towers.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If you're really doing badminton only, then the S90 is a great option. Also, it's rather compact regarding the dimensions. That comes with a downside though - since the two main towers are fairly close together, there is not much space for your hands to work underneath the racket (weaving the crosses, tying knots etc.). It's not a deal breaker, but I find the extra space on the Stringmaster to be very convenient. On the other hand, that's all mostly a matter of routine. Once you are used to your machine, you won't bother with things like that.

And yes, the S90 also comes with the WISE tension head which I would also prefer to the round gripper motor on the E90 if the budget allows it.

16. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Never though It would be so hard for me to come to a desicion what to go for. I had a conversation with tennisman and since I only intend to string badminton he recomended S90 that I was thinking on, or the Stringmaster 3700 pro. That desicion is not easy. I'm really stretching my budget if I'll go for the Stringmaster but wery seldom I get disapointed when spending som extra money on something better. (it is usually the opposit(

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I feel you. Darn, that 3700 Pro is one sexy machine, I have to say. IMO, the clamps and bases alone are worth the price difference to the S90. Also the (slightly) moveable main towers are awesome to achieve the best positions for the side supports. So if you decide to go all-in, you’ll get something in return for the extra money. And if it’s the S90... you still end up with a great machine - so either way, you won’t make a mistake.

pucko and Super85 like this.
  18. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Finally placed the order a few days back. Expected delivery next week. After watching the video with stringmaster deluxe I went for that one :) . Thanks for all your help.

speCulatius, s_mair and Super85 like this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sweet, so you really went all-in there.
    You’ll not be disappointed. Maybe post some pics and your first impressions once you have it. Would be interested to see the small upgrades (for example the side supports) that have been implemented since the first gen.

speCulatius likes this.
  20. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Yep :) Had a hard time to decide, and when I finally did, they where out of stock. I will post some picutres here when I get it. Seems to be good training just to carry it home from the post office :)

s_mair likes this.