The Last Lecture

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by kwun, May 31, 2008.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am not sure how many of you have seen this video, but i think it is worth watching whether you have or not.

"Randy Pausch is a married father of three, a very popular professor at Carnegie Mellon University—and he is dying. He is suffering from pancreatic cancer, which he says has returned after surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Doctors say he has only a few months to live.

In September 2007, Randy gave a final lecture to his students at Carnegie Mellon that has since been downloaded more than a million times on the Internet. "There's an academic tradition called the 'Last Lecture.' Hypothetically, if you knew you were going to die and you had one last lecture, what would you say to your students?" Randy says. "Well, for me, there's an elephant in the room. And the elephant in the room, for me, it wasn't hypothetical."

Despite the lecture's wide popularity, Randy says he really only intended his words for his three small children. "I think it's great that so many people have benefited from this lecture, but the truth of the matter is that I didn't really even give it to the 400 people at Carnegie Mellon who came. I only wrote this lecture for three people, and when they're older, they'll watch it," he says."

i was inspired as well as touched by the lecture. esp since i went to the same college (Brown) as well as graduate school (CMU) as Randy although i have never personally talked to him before. i hope you will find it as inspiring.

the video link is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

a condensed version:

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=8577255250907450469&hl=en

Randy's page is here:

http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It was definitely a great inspiration and a great lesson for all of us. I remembered watching the show on Oprah. It does give a slap on my back as times i do complain about life and his lecture does give me a good reminder. There is too much negativity around us these days. What he say is true.. you better start living. Life is short and make full use of it in a positive way and reach for your goals.

If you think you can't or can, you are right either way. Energy attracts energy... its better to get Pluses and Discard the Minuses in life.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It took me 1 hour and 16 mins to go through it (not including bathroom break :)) but the simplicity in the message is so obvious. Really, in so many situations in life, it's not what you say but how you say it.

Thanks Kwun for finding this. I'll be sharing it with my boy.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow!!!
    1st time in my life i saw a youtube video the length is about 1 and a half hour!!!!!!!!!
    the maximum i had seen a youtube video the length was 10 minutes:p

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Very inspirational indeed..

..thank you, kwun, for sharing those videos & inspirational talk; and i went straight to watch the condensed version. For one, his attitude is truly something to be looked upon. I had actually wanted to watch that Oprah show, but missed it. Ah well, but thankfully someone uploaded it. And now, i'm sharing it with others...:cool:

#5 ctjcad, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think the condense version is actually better as it has all the key points in short. the full version was a bit more geared toward the CMU students who are in general more technically oriented.

also to point out that he college advisor, Andy van Dam, whom he mentioned a couple of times in the speech was among the people sitting in the audience.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just saw the news..

..just saw a few minutes ago that Randy Pausch has just passed away, he was 47...Rest in peace & bless your soul, professor Pausch..:(

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is very sad. the world has lost a great man.

condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

9. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Condolences to his family. The Last Lecture was very inspiring.

-dave