the Indonesian grip.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, May 22, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    everyone who has watched Candra, Sigit, Ricky, (and i think Rexy as well) play must have noticed that they wrap their grip really high up, over the cone and may be 1/3 up the shaft. Sigit noticeably uses the upper portion very regularly. has anyone tried that?

the obvious pro of this grip is much higher manuverability and control on defense and on delicate net shots, and the cons is the shorter reach.

i have experimented with it, the only time that i managed to benefit from it is when i serve. i have my thumb and index finger on the cone, but never managed to use it all the up the shaft. when i try to grip so high up on other shots, i have trouble getting used to the shorter length.

however, when i do managed to hit with the shorter length, i noticed the shorter swing radius did not affect the power of my shots. the ability to swing the racket faster compensates for the shorter radius.

has anyone also noticed how Sigit "shakes" his racket during a rally? i am starting to wonder if he does that not only because of habit, but he is actually adjusting where he is gripping on that extended grip.

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Studying those tapes I see. :)

I've gripped my racquet up higher before as well, and it does give me more control, especially on delicate hairpins, and tumble drops.

There could be another reason for him shaking the racquet... if he grips it almost half way up the shaft, and he actually holds it there sometimes; it could mean he's seeing if the shaft is cracking or not... they are afterall pro's, and have the capacity to break their racquets from holding it there... IMO

Errm... Never heard of that specific name to describe it, but it works.
    Just gotta make sure your handle doesn't smack your arms when you snap your wrist. :)

3. i use that grip and i can switch grips during rallies with no problem at all. i can still estimate the distance of the racket head on either grips. u just have to practice.

4. budi

budi Guest

Tony Halim likes to do that too.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Now that you mention it, I think Peter Gade wraps his grip high on the shaft too...

6. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    This is my personal side of view. The way they grip made them control the racquet better. It is a trademark so i decide not to do so after once. When u get get hold of the shaft, tapping, pushes and net kill are more easy. When i play duo, i hold to the shaft and shakes. Reason ?? Shaking of the racquet boast up ur concentration and attention. This also warm up ur muscles. Remember that ur teacher or coach always say ?? Do not stop suddenly or sit down when u are running cos u can spain ur muscle when u try to continue. So this is the same for them. Shaking the racquet make u more flex for return serve in duo. I do grip my racquet up to the shaft before, tapping and control are almost perfect but smashing feels funny. That's the way they play. Peter Gade do not need to do so.
    He plays singles. How is he doing to return smashes and clear with the grip up to the shaft?? take a look at the INA 's grip, they are real high up !!! They do not need to adjust the hand cos it will become a habit. I myself too have this habit of holding up to the shaft even when the grip is not there.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Gade's grip

If it was no advantage to him, then why does Gade have the grip like that? Obviously it serves a purpose.

8. cb

cb Guest

I believe most of the top players "shake" their racquets
    during rallies. It helps to "kick-start" their wrists for the
    in-coming shuttle. This is especially important in doubles
    when drives or smashes occur frequently.

9. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

The reason that I was taught was that you use the standard "long" grip when you are playing backcourt to get more power on you shots and you have time to take a swing to reach maximum racquet speed. When you are plauing net, you shorten the grip for more control and when you are at the net you don't have time to fully accelerate the racquet with a long grip and can get more speed with a shorter grip.

PS some players use the shorter grip for defence too but I personally think that the lessor range isn't worth it.

10. possible other reason is

If they wrap the cotton grip up to 1/3 of the shaft, wouldn't that help dissipate the sweat also?

11. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Re: possible other reason is

i heard if your hand is higher up on the grip, your get more power. maybe that would be the reason.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: the Indonesian shake

That might be to ensure the wrist is relaxed to gain maximum speed during smashing or driving.

13. Re: the Indonesian shake

ya it helps coz i myself use it :p
    another use is it can scare opponents a bit, especially if u r playing net in doubles