The coolest shot you ever made

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by marshall, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Mine was about a month ago... we were side by side, the opponents hit an attacking clear, and I was caught flat footed. The bird was falling about 2 feet at my 225 degree (front being 0, and back being 180), I knew I wouldn't be able to hit it, but something made me spin clockwise, and do a backhand flick, the bird was about 18 inches from the floor, went straight, flew about 2 inches over the net, and landed about two feet from the net, right at my stunned opponents feet. By the way, we were all equally stunned.. as no one thought, includng myself, that I would go for the shot.. was good for a few laughs.. :D

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

my partner did a cross court clear, and it was returned to our side straight down the tram lines. i was up near the net already, anticipating a weak drop, but was faced with a deep clear instead. my partner was in no position to retrieve it, so in a desperate attempt, i backpeddled and took a swipe at it, and actually hit it. it was very fast, and definitely sailing out... but the net post saw to that. it deflected off the top and rebounded back onto the court, right between the two opponents, who stood there bewildered.

naturally, i raised my arms in an exaggerated manner and cried out "YEAH!" :D

3. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    One of the best shot that I've ever performed was a jump smash. I rarely jump smash so I was elated.

We were playing doubles, MXD vs MD. I was in the MD pairing. Me and my partner were front and back. The shuttle was lifted short to the back. My partner ducked, a sure sign that it was my ball, and I was so focused on the shuttle, then I felt myself off the ground doing a jump smash. Not a very powerful smash but enough for a winner.

The feeling up "there" was very surreal. It was like in slow motion. Anybody heard the phrase "playing the zone"? (if you play pool/billiards you've probably heard the phrase) My feeling when I did that jump smash was like that. It just happened without me ever forcing it to happen.

4. DSAS6

DSAS6 Regular Member

Student
    i love my airtime hehehe ... most of my smashes are jump smash now anyways so ... i can get lots of air miles ... hahha

anyways ... for me , since i dont do anything fancy so ... the coolest shots will be this one time that i did a backhand smash, im pretty weak on my backhand mind you (except backhand drop , that i can do just fine). i was playing double against my coach , he smash it to the right , i lunged there and got it , the then lob it to my back hand , no way i could do an around the head stroke so i got in position to do a backhand drop. Since i do that a lot , he kinda expects it and move in a bit close (just a bit) ... at the last minute ... my wrist snaps unnexpectedly ... i dont know why, probably because for once i had all the mechanism in the right order and i was in the right position ... but i thought i heard someone else smash. TURNS OUT IT WAS ME ! i did a back hand smash that was as hard as a normal smash ! IT WAS FROM THE BACK COURT TOO ! it was amazing ! the coach of course couldn't get it he was like "hey ... what the ... cool !". i wont be able to do that shot again for years to come lol

In double after i do a net drop , i sometimes follow it up and raise my racket in an attempt to block a clear ... surprisingly ... i blocked them a lot of them ... i'd say ... 35% (35/100 attempts). I once did it 3 times in one single match hahahah. my friend was a bit embarrassed lol but it was all fun.

too bad i cant received smash between the leg or behind the back yet hehehhe... i will practice when i get better ... people i know always do those shots ... he run for a drop, i faked and clear it into the back ... the runs back and hit it between the legs for a drop ... sigh ... or once i did a jump smash and the bastard got it behind the back ...

5. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Faked drop (one that look like a smash but not)...but not as consistent as LYB :(

6. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

4 years ago, playing doubles. I ran to the net left corner to retrieve a drop shot. While doing so I fell on the ground.
    The birdie was still in play, my partner exchanged a couple of shots, but I was still down. At that moment, I saw the opponent smashing in the center. I stretched my arm, with my ass still on the ground, and countered the smash, dropping to the net. We won the point.
    Everyone was surprised, me included.:p

7. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    mine's definitely the one i did a few months ago, a backhand crosscourt jumping smash taufik style:D :D , picture perfect like said by my friends.

8. baddersfreakz

baddersfreakz Regular Member

Secondary school

i did an amazing shot my birthaday with my new yonex raquet three years ago.i went up to the diagonal back coner and for a cross court drop.i hit it so sweetly and it flew straight and to to the post and hit the top of the net and plopped over.so cool!.it landed straight it the corner

9. zello

zello Regular Member

Student
    Got caught out on a flick serve down the centre to my backhand in a doubles game, so just jumped from my starting position to try to hit it around my head. About at the top of my jump i realised i couldn't reach it, so swung my head and wrist around and managed to get it as an overhead backhand drop shot to the corner. they got it back, and dont' remember how the rally turned out, but it was a pretty cool shot :)

10. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Well there is no shot that I have ever made that is out of this world amazing... there are many really lucky or great shots but the most amazing shot I've ever been told of was my former doubles partner.

He was in a series tournament playing older players proabbly in thier 30s. One player faked him out at the net then placed an almost perfect cross court net shot. My partner who was totally faked out then threw his racket at the birdie. The racket perfectly spun the bird which then rolled over the net. Everyone was amazed. His opponent argued the call but eventually let it slide. This shot isn't legal but he got away with it :).

11. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    last month i think, school tournament
    it was doubles, my opponent smashed it in the back right corner... boy, i ran, i pratacally dove and managed to get it, i hit it as hard as i could (it wasa shoulder-leveld hit) and it was the purest bang sound you can ever hear, and it was so fast, it was like a bullet. ANd that was the winning point..for me..:)

12. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    In doubles, someone served to me a long serve, I swung and missed and everyone stood still thinking that it was over. BUT, I did an underhand stroke to hit the bird just in time and it went over the net. :D The whole room was amazed and applauded me. Lol.

13. three

three Regular Member

student.
    my best shot would have to be a dropshot. a crosscourt backhand dropshot from the baseline, i was at training. we were playing a doubles match and it was something like 13-6 2nd server, which was my partner and she served a really bad shot. it was so high anyone would have just tapped it, but my opponent netted it, my partner played back a net and seeing that i was on the rightside of the court he lifted it straight back to the leftside, but being someone who couldnt use her backhand for nuts i just decided to try a backhand dropshot. i didnt care where it was going but when i hit it, it felt so right and i saw it land on the rightside of the court just after the net on the line. it was the most beautiful shot i ever made. my oppenent clapped for me and my coached clapped for me. but my evil partner laughed at me. she couldnt believe it. HEH.:D

#33 three, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  14. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i have to add another. last week when i was training, i did a drop shot, and it stopped on the net for about 1.5 secs, with the cork on one side and feathers on the other, and then the birdy decided to flip over :eek: i was amazed.. and i dont think i'll make that same shot again.. lol

15. Drivemaster

Drivemaster New Member

Logistic - Business Development
    My back hand has also improved a lot lately. In the past, I played my backhand like a tennis stroke but now has changed to a proper badminton backhand.

Was playing Mix double the weeks before and was pushed to right corner and retrieved it with a push and the opponent lift the shuttle to the other corner. As I was quite under pressure, I did also a jump backhand smash. My first one and hit a winner. One of my best shot so far.:D

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    My crazy shot ( Illegal )

Was playing a rather light game. I was approaching the front anticipating a drop return and was given a baseline clear. So i step to the back for a return and this time my opponent's return was a drop. I personally don't think that i can retrieve it since i like 1 step slower. Instinctively for the fun of it, i release my racket and while the racket was floating in the air before it hit the net , the shuttle landed on the string bed and it somehow create a slice net shot. Fortunately the shuttle stumble towards my opponents court while my racket hit then net and both landed on the floor. We were all stumped and had a good laugh. No points was given since its and illegal shot, it was a crazy shot.