The best men's doubles in the last 15 years.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by apontoh, Sep 3, 2005.

?

Best Mens doubles PAIR from 1985-2005 (20Years)

1. Ricky Subaja/Rexy Mainaky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Soo

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Jens Eriksen/Martin Luungaard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Candra Wijaya/Tony Gunawan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tony Gunawan/Halim Haryanto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kim Dong Moon/Ha Tae Kwon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Li Yong Bo/Tian bingyi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    After watching WC2005, I would say Sigit is the better in the Chandra/Sigit partnership!

Chandra seemed to lose it more than once, with Sigit being the rock.

2. eskey

eskey Regular Member

well, actually sigit is better, because he is very stylist and entertaining, and a lot of tricky shots and his strokes are very deceptive, also he is good at the net, but again, in MD they have to complement each other to become a strong pair. being a stylist player there is a risk also, "unforced error" is high, esp when they are off-form.

Most of indonesian pairs, always have one better at the net and the other one at the back-court. Sigit, Luluk, Eng Hian and Markis Kido are better at the net compare to the other teammate, while Candra, Alven, Flandi and Hendra are more on back-court players (for attacking).

Not to forget, Candra is very good in defence, drive and attacking/smash from back court.

3. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    i agree, u cant have a good pair with only one great player, one may be better than the other, but doesnt mean that the other is not a great partner

4. tamages

tamages Regular Member

well the gaps between tier-1 n tier-2 pairs r gettin much closer now...

my pick will be Park-Kim... would like to put the Sidek Bros on the same level but Park-Kim are just a level above the rest... all time!

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I gather that's a typo, Ant-san.

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Pjb/kdm !

My vote goes to PJB/KDM. I believe they can beat any other pair
    in one match in 1996. However this pair only existed for a very short
    time (due to the age gap?). I am always wondering whether Korea
    send them as a pair to the Olympics or not.

For pairs that "really" played together, I think Gunawan/Wijaya and
    PJB/KMS are the best. Maybe adding Candra/Sigit when Sigit is
    in shape and focused.

7. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Sigit the rock?? Hmmm.....No doubt he is 1 of the best ever in MD, but they lost b/c of his fancy trick shots & inconsistency (not taking anything away from TG/HB)...this isnt the 1st time...in 2003, they should have beat JR/LP but it was his trick shots and lack of consistency that lost if for them (Not taking anything away from JR/LP)

If anyone is the rock...i would say its Candra with his consistency and non-flyamboyancy. Just my $0.02...but they are and will forever be my favorite MD ever!

8. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Sigit's defense has to be one of the best in the comp, as to trick and inconsistency maybe, but generally doubt it mate. There were quite a few times Chandra was upset with the umpire and certain calls, and Sigit had to calm him down.

9. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Everlasting chandra

I might be wrong but as far as I can remember chandra had never been injured before. His work ethics make him like that.

10. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Actually I think Eng Hian is the fore-court player who controls and setups shots while his partner, Flandi Limpele, is the backcourt smashing power player.

As for the comments about Candra (spells as Candra but pronounced as "Chandra") and Sigit, while Sigit is very entertaining to watch with his trick shots, I will have to agree that Candra is the overall better player. Sigit's defense, while as good as it is, stills has some weakness, which is that he often stands towards the right thus he is usually defending low-shots with his forehand. This proves to be a problem when the opponents start attacking his backhand area. Hence, you will notice that a lot of the time he will do the around-the-back or between-the-leg defensive shots since his arm is on his right side. Usually it is suggested that backhand defense for low shots is better since it covers a large portion of the player's area.

Candra's shots are not fancy and crowd-pleasing as Sigit's but he is very consistent in terms of attacking and defending. That plus the combination of him being able to play as a fore-court or backcourt player makes him easy to work with. If you'll notice he can almost partner up with anyone and still plays pretty well. Obviously, he and Sigit proved to be a strong pair and let's not forget about his teamwork with Tony Gunawan when they won the 2000 Olympics beating the 2004 Olympics MD pair of Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon in the semi-final. Even when he is paired up with Halim, who I would say is not as flexible as Tony Gunawan, they reached the finals of a few tournaments. If I remember correctly, I think they reached the 2003 Singapore Open and played against the eventual winners, Kim and Ha.

Sadly the same cannot be said about Sigit. Beside Candra, he does not work too well with other players. I haven't heard of any major accomplishment from Sigit when he is not with Candra. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

11. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    it has to be kim and park doesn't it really.. especially if we extend this to all doubles and not just men's..

perhaps you could squeeze jen's eriksen in there as well.. while he hasn't achieved as many titles, you could say that he was unfortunate enough to be around at the same time as many other legendary players..

i think if nathan robertson can maintain his high standard until jen's age then he too will be one of the greats..

thats is from me

Coops

12. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student

Agreed. If you watch videos even from back in the older days, Sigit always loses the rallies. Maybe not the last shot, but he is the first when in general to hit the shot that changes the ralley. Chandra is defintely the all arounder with good power from the back.

13. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Sigit's defense is no doubt top class....but is it just me or it seems that he is never focused enough, especially in the big games. He wants to make that incredible shot for the crowd but in reality gives the opposing team a chance to kill the bird.

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    but sigit makes bored fans wanna watch more badminton? he is like MJ doing air reverse.. :D

15. hector

hector Regular Member

as far as i'm concerned, best doubles pair of all time is Park Joo-Bong & Kim Moon-So.
    These guys especially Park covers the court so well and their play is intelligent. Kim's defense of smash is totally astounding. Instead of just concentrating on returning the shuttle, in his mind he already knows where he's going to place the shot.

They are strong all around and have no weaknesses.
    Best of the best pair during the age of legends (Sidek bros, Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi, Eddy Hartono Gunawan)

Park/Kim's domination was complete and in fact, the only pair who managed to beat them somewhat happens to be the ultra-fast and skillful Zheng Yumen-Huang Zhanzhong. Unfortunately Zheng/Huang's career was cut short bcos of Zheng's injury.

16. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    It got to be Ricky & Rexy .............

17. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I would place a tie with the following... Park Joo Bong and Kim Moon Soo, Ricky Subagja and Rexy Mainaky, Li Yongbo and Tian Bingyi, Candra Wijaya and Tony Gunawan, Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon. in fact there are others who probably i should mention:) but i think those pairs are really the standouts.
    G

18. hector

hector Regular Member

dun agree on ricky/rexy being placed among the greats.
    they may have had won a lot of titles, but their peers at that time wasn't outstanding compared with during Park/Kim's time.
    heck, if Cheah Soon Kit/Soo Beng Kiang is considered a better pair compared to Ricky/Rexy.

Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi also cannot be on same level with Park/Kim. Simply no match at all.

19. tamages

tamages Regular Member

Park Joo Bong and Kim Moon Soo... gotto be this pair!

20. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    au contraire! Park Joo Bong and Kim Moon Soo, and Li Yongbo and Tian Bingyi were the dominant forces in men's doubles from the mid to late eighties.

There aren't many pairs who have won the World Championships, Olympics, and All England gold medals, as Ricky and Rexy have. Based on that, I definitely see Ricky and Rexy as one of the greatest pairs of the last 15 years.

#40 blckknght, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006