Tennis Or Badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by asphaminer, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calamity

Calamity Regular Member

Well...duh. You don't have a ball that's traveling 100+ mph toward you with a sidespin and such.

I don't think that at all shows that tennis is easy.

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    yaah..duuuh.. And what about the argument that that makes it "easier" to win a point for a generelly weaker player against a better producing a good serve ??? It's like we changed badminton serve to allow overhead serves from mid court.. that would make it possible for me to get some service winners even to lin Dan :).. This would make it "easier" for me to get a point against a better player.. Yes... So what's your argument???

Who said anything about Tennis being easy??? My argument was that I feel that Badminton is more complex and varied, and could thus be defined as being harder to master than tennis... I didn't say Tennis was easy.. As a matter of fact I stated that Tennis is harder to learn in the beginning, but not much added complexity once the groundstrokes are mastered (more about getting goos ground-strokes) than Badmintonton which is easy to get the basic (getting decent ground-strokes etc), but more subtleities and progressively more demanding when moving up the advancemenet ladder.

/Twobeer

3. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

ok you all win but one last question.

Who here player tennis more that once ?

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

before I converted to badminton I used to play a lot of tennis, and had coaching.

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

§I'm trying to do this as objectively as possible
    Open the attachment to read the *objective table

I did a little research into this as well just on the internet... im at work, not working very hard.. little to do...

I've played tennis probably 100 times, but want to go pro in badminton. This is what I believe. Please read this point.

THIS TABLE IS MESSED UP OPEN THE ATTACHMENT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Issue | Badminton | Tennis
    Serve | Can't win off serve | Can dominate with serve
    Range of | Explosive movements, changes | Lateral movements, some front
    motion | of direction, movement in every| back, no vertical
    | way, lots of vertical |
    Fitness | More fitness required | Larger upper body to win off
    | | serves
    Strokes | Easier to learn basics, more | Harder to learn, less variety
    | variety |
    Popularity | Asia, prts of Europe | North America, Europe, parts
    | | of Asia
    Players | 145-180 lbs, 5"6-6"2 | 165-210 lbs, 5"8-6"3
    (rough) | |
    Variety of | Clear, drive, drop, smash, slice, | Lob,serve,volley, drop,
    Strokes | net kill, overhead, backhand | forehand, backhand
    in normal | underhand, net shot (spin and dump) | slice.
    rally | overhead jump shots, two motion |
    | shots (deception), forehand serve |
    | backhand serve. |
    Normal shot | Four corners, angled on lines | Left and right,
    placement | left and right |occasional drop
    | | to net
    Winning a | Jump smash or net roll, opponent | Slice, drop, serve, move
    rally | concedes mistake, | shot to where opponent
    | move shot to where opponent is not.| is not, opponent makes
    | overhead-underhand / forehand - | Forehand deception.
    | backhand deception | Backhand deception
    Which sport is better? No way you can say one sport is better than another. You can say maybe one sport is more fun, requires more fitness, harder to learn, harder to master, requires different strenghts... The main determining aspect is which do you prefer more. Why do you prefer badminton, why do you prefer tennis.

For Variety of Strokes in normal rally row i left out the possible combinations such as backhand slice, through the legs shots...ect. NORMAL rally keyword :D . For the tennis people, a jump smash is not a normal tennis shot, does not happen very oftene, probably as much as you see a through the legs or around the back shot in badminton.

* The rest isn't so objective

I prefer to play badminton to tennis because of the explosive movements, the amount of thought that goes into tactics and stroke (which does also go into tennis), and the variety of shots. Also I love jumping :D ! Badminton birds also travel much faster than tennis balls increasing the speed in which you must react when being smashed upon.

I prefer to watch badminton over tennis because of the athleticism of watching a badminton player bound all over the court. Tennis is more running, ground born and to me seems a little repetitive and watching people running from side to side and sometimes not having to run at all is, to me, not as exciting as watching someone really erally have to work to win almost every point. In international competitions you basically win by either jump smashing or net rolling a shot, or by completely deceiving your opponent. What I'm trying to get at is it requires a ton of effort. Tennis requires effort but shot placement is so paramount that if you can place the shot perfectly you'll win in two shots everytime, requiring less hustle.

"O'neal provides for some of the best quotes, is extremely witty and very intelligent.

You chose the wrong man to try to make a contrast.
    Don't hate on a brotha just 'cause he's bigger, stronger, brighter and sexier than you."

Quisitor Shaq wants to become a policeman. College in the states is payolla. 1/3 of the Harvard Grads / Undergrads buy their way in. My grandpa's friend is a proffessor there and that quote comes from him.

WOW my table didn't work out at all. Uhh i have no idea how to fix it without redoing the whole damn thing. Open the attachment to read the *objective table

Attached Files:

#105 Eurasian =--(O), Jul 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Met this guy again as he explain his way to 2 gals who came to practice just for the corporate challenge (once a year thing). The 2 ladies seem in disbelief to hear that badminton required more power as explained by this guy because his wife, daugther, and son are playing tennis instead of badminton. He gave a valid example. At a age of four, both his daughter and son can hit the ball (power wise, not consistently) all the way to the other end of a tennis court, and tennis court is bigger too. U and I know that no 4 year old can do full court clears even if they were trained under china's best coach. His 5' wife can sustain rallies longer in tennis than in badminton.

on the surface, most people conclude that tennis required more power because tennis players are more muscular built which is correct. However, badminton required moving shuttle AND body so players can't be so massive. Tennis is about moving the ball (and less body movement) and therefore the game favors a larger built player. So when you say which game required more power, it depend how u meant, moving the ball or the total package. Yes, a muscleman with a badminton racket will smash very very hard but he wont win in real games coz he would be out moved and out classed by a semi trained junior. Reverse is true on a tennis court

As for me, i've said it before, badminton is more exciting to play and watch. Tennis is basically 2D where as badminton is closer to 3D.

#106 cooler, Jul 30, 2005
  7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I like the analogy

8. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

:confused: Uhh...ookaay. IMHO, this is a basically bad comparison. Think for a moment about the differences between badminton bird, tennis ball, and the rackets of each sport. The tennis racket and ball are both considerably heavier than their badminton equivalents, yet everyone reading this could with one hand, and effortlessly, launch a tennis ball over the court fence and into the head of a pedestrian. This is basically because a badminton bird has feathers, or a mechanism meant to create air drag, so that it doesn't fly accross the gym like a cork without feathers does (wickedly fast if you'd like to try it ;) ). Comparing how hard it is to send each one farther is somewhat meaningless.

Now consider the idea that a clear is equivalent to lobbing a tennis ball to the back of a tennis court as 4 year old could. An intermediate tennis player would view this shot as an intermediate badminton player would view a lob to around half-court: juicy, vulnerable, etc. Maybe a more similar shot to the badminton clear in tennis would be the staple of the baseline rally: playing the ball fairly hard and with topspin to the latter portion of the tennis court. Not really something a 4 year old can do...

I've seen 9 year old's, small for their age, who, by sheer practice and techniqe, can hit baseline clears accurately and consistanly and smash the bird with decent power. In tennis (and I'm guessing here) because the racket and ball are heavier, the game requires more brute strength to produce powerful shots with enough spin to land inside the lines.

In intermediate badminton with good technique and timing a "flick of the wrist" or something that looks like it can produce a clear to either corner, a drop shot, and a weak smash, which together could win games by themselves. (ie. They're somewhat useful as offensive shots.) Tennis at an intermediate level would seem that much larger swinging motions of a heavier racket using a lot of body movement are required to produce useful offensive shots, especially the serve. While most little kids can run a bit, swinging a large and heavy tennis racket quickly is a lot to ask. In light of all my bs I would say tennis is harder for young and presumably weak kids to accel at than badminton. As far as "sustaining rallies" goes, little kids sustain rallies in their backyards every night in North America. ;)

#108 paulchow, Jul 30, 2005
  9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    obviously u havent grasp the content of the discussion here. For fear of u blowing up again**, I wouldnt introduce new points, just highlighting your own self conflicting points (see above bolted underlined). Also, a 4 year old lobs are juicy shots for an intermediate player, however, no 4 year olds that i know are considered intermediate players, IN ANY SPORTS. :rolleyes:

**08-04-2004, 10:59 PM #106
    paulchow

u know what, screw u and ur video game photos. We already defined physique and impressive but there's no more arguments I have to give. I'll just go on the internet and look at pictures of kevin levrone in a speedo to be turned on..er..I mean...to be impressed...
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17063&page=11&pp=10&highlight=impressive

What u had presented are your own unproven (somewhat flaky) opinions. What i had presented were actual testimonies.

#109 cooler, Jul 30, 2005
  10. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

...whoa..:) sorry if i offended you. rereading that post i guess it came off a bit harsher than intended. again that was all imho, but i apologize for "blowing up". i didn't realize posting in a forum constitutes a temper tantrum :confused:. it's tough to discuss things without disagreeing with ppl, and like i should have said earlier i see your point, i just happen to disagree. no harm intended.

but here we go anyway.:rolleyes: glad you underlined some stuff, good work. ill start by explaining last sentence where i'm attempting to say (not very clearly) that the challenge in the game of tennis is not hitting the ball far, but striking the ball hard yet matched with enough top spin that it doesn't land out or go into the net. hope that clears things up, i don't see anyway the sentences conflict if you understand this. please explain what you mean if there's still a problem.

what was the point of quoting that old thread? :confused: . i'll take a guess and say you're saying i'm bad at arguing? or maybe i just didn't understand wth that guy was talking about when he was posting pictures from videos games or saying im gay to prove lin dan has a more impressive physique than a body builder? maybe you're also suggesting i'm gay because of my sarcasm? once again i miss you point...

your last sentence is an brutal enigma....... what are you saying here? all testimonies are proven? my opinion is the only unproven testimony? here's a testimony to help us out: i know a guy who was about as good at badminton in grade 8 as i am now. at the same he played tennis fairly well for his age. he basically stopped playing badminton in grade 9 and has become quite a good tennis player. he prefers tennis. yay!

this time ill apologize in advance for posting. if im "blowing up" again without knowing it im sorry. :mad: <-- my angry face, because im just an angry person :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.