table tennis @ OG

Discussion in 'BEIJING 2008 non-badminton events / discussion' started by kwun, Aug 15, 2008.

1. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    CHN WS made a clean sweep with Zhang Yining having successfully defended her title, Wang Nan winning silver and Guo Yue getting bronze.

#21 robin7, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Same as the women side, Chinese men also won gold in team event, and won all gold, silver and bronze in men single. If they got men double plus women double in htis event, China will surely win too cause in team event, they never lost in double routines.

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

As predicted earlier, CHN mission to do clean sweep table-tennis gold has accomplished even they bagged one set medal at individual event. Looks like no any country could disrupt CHN domination in this sport for long-term.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Speaking of total domination..^^

.. if one noticed a kinda funny thing. We all realize CHN has totally dominated, literally, this table tennis event, yet it is not being pulled out of the next OG. The U.S. has dominated softball, until this yr, yet it is being pulled out of the next OG.:confused:
    *Some critics mentioned the reason for those 2 sports being pulled out is because the IOC & its president thought that baseball and softball are too American.:confused:

5. lilywhite

lilywhite New Member

really? I thought the reason softball/baseball is being pulled is because of the drug scandals. No drug scandal that I've heard of so far in table tennis :rolleyes:

Go Chinese table tennis team! They worked hard for it! Utter domination finally achieved for the Chinese "national ball"!

6. tonyget

tonyget New Member

It's not about domination, it's about popularity. Baseball only popular in North America and 3 Asian nations(JAP, KOR, TW). Table tennis dominated by CHN, but it's also very popular in rest of Asia and Europe.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Understood..^^

..but i was inferring to CLELY's comment about CHN's "domination" (to an extent some of their ex-pats players playing for other countries) in table tennis in comparison to U.S.' "domination" (until this yr) in softball; yes, both baseball & softball, i think have only a few countries actually competing in it as i think we can count them all with our 10 fingers, each one respectively.;)

Should we expect any other countries other than CHN to dominate table tennis in the future?? ..:confused:

#27 ctjcad, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008