Switching serve/receive formation

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chrisweston, Dec 2, 2015.

1. chrisweston

chrisweston New Member

Student
    Last week I was told that if I served/received first in the first game of a match, then I had to serve/receive first in the second and third games of that match as well. This was only noticed because it was a mixed match and my partner and I swapped (in level doubles I wouldn't even take note of which side we are!).

Could someone clarify whether or not this change of formation is allowed, and if not point me to where in the rules it says this?

Thanks.

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

At the start of every game, the umpire will ask both sides who's serving and receiving. In the second or third game, this may be skipped if it's obvious. Both sides can choose freely at the start of every game, in mixed and level doubles. This follows from RTTO §3.1.10:

If you are playing without an umpire, you can - at the start of every game - simply ask the opponents which one of them is serving/receiving (if it isn't obvious). Conversely, if your opponents ask which one of you is serving /receiving, you have to tell them.

3. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    from when was coaching i remember being told that EITHER player can receive the first serve of every game. obviously the server is clear, but this can be either male or female i believe in mixed.

On the receiving side, we must adhere to the rule that both server and receiver must be in the service boxes diagonal to each other and NOT touching the lines. However it is possible that both players can stand in the service receiving box. one players on the same side can be within the box, one can toe the line and really ONLY return if you do a low serve and the player at the rear and take any flick serves. Obviously this only works on the FIRST serve of every game as once they have returned the serve, they have basically nominated a receiver. You can also prevent this by just asking who is receiving. then they HAVE to tell you the nominated receiver.

But this scenario is almost never seen i believe as it is gamesmanship to the extreme and its not worth the hassle.

But yes in your case either of you can receive. I always find in my matches if we are favouring a particular position we may decide to switch who serves or receives first without any hassle.