Susi's concern about female players

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by angker, Jan 27, 2004.

1. angker

angker Regular Member

Susi's concern about female players
    Musthofid, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Former Indonesian badminton star Susi Susanti expressed concern about the waning performance of the country's female players since her retirement in 1999.

"I share my sympathy with them," Susi, 33, said here on Tuesday after she was given an installment of her bonus money for winning a medal in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Susi attributed the grim conditions to the lack of badminton talent and local events.

"It might be that we will have to push harder in our talent scouting. Tournaments have also been lacking," she said, accompanied by husband Alan Budi Kusuma.

"I will not speak too much about the matter. Just leave it to the badminton authority and KONI," she said.

Susi and Alan are fondly remembered by the Indonesian badminton community as the golden couple after they, then as fiance and fiancee, gave Indonesia its first-ever gold medals at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.

Four years later, Susi had to be content with a bronze in Atlanta.

The Indonesian badminton squad won four medals overall, including Mia Audina -- now playing for her adopted country the Netherlands -- who won the silver in the women's singles while Denny Kantono and Antonius Budi Arianto contributed the other bronze in the men's doubles.

The medalists were at the office of the National Sports Council (KONI) to receive their cash bonuses -- Rp 500 million for gold, Rp 250 million for silver and Rp 125 million for bronze, which were handed out in installments.

Except for Liang Chiu Sia, who has already returned to China, former coaches -- Atik Jauhari and Retno Kustiyah -- were also on hand. The coaches received Rp 125 million each.

With 80 percent of the amount already handed out since 1996, they will get another 20 percent in two years.

Asked about the bonuses, Susi said: "I'm happy to accept the reward for what I have done."

Susi and Mia steered the Indonesian women's team to the 1996 Uber Cup victory, which proved to be the last achievement for the women.

Since the retirement of Susi in 1999 and the defection of Mia to Holland, the Indonesian ladies' players have been suffering a downhill slide.

The Uber Cup is the world's top female badminton team competition, staged simultaneously with the male version, the Thomas Cup, every two years. By contrast, the Indonesian men's team has won the Thomas Cup five consecutive times.

The Indonesian shuttlers will host the championships in May, and are, if they pass qualifying matches, ready for the Athens Olympics in August.

"Hopefully, they can retain their gold tradition at the Olympics," Susi said.