String for Airblade 900

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ricky, May 18, 2001.

1. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    After reading many comments of Airblade 900, I bought one today. It is quite cheap, just HK$320, together with a dozen of Carlton feather shuttles. The factory string is Carlton High Tension string which I believe has ~22 lbs. Should I cut it immediately and restring it ? My favorite string so far is BG85 at 24-28 lbs. Any idea on whether BG85 is good for AB900 ? Can AB900 sustain for 28 lbs string tension ?

p.s. Honest speaking, it is hardly to find racquet which better suits me than my Mizuno racquets. However I really like to try the AB900, as Mag said that it even out-performs MP100 !

2. Brett

Brett Regular Member

HK $320!!!!????? Wow that's extremely cheap - only about US $41! That's about 1/3 of the normally discounted price in America. I'd buy another one or two at that price.

Have you read any of the comments and exchanges between me and Mag about strings in the two AB 900 postings a dozen or two threads below this one? Mag had some very helpful comments.

Hope you like your Carlton. We haven't heard you comment about your Mizunos in a while - maybe the change will be good. Hope to see your reviews of the AB 900 (and your Mizunos also).

3. Jeff

Jeff Guest

My AB900 factory string broke within a week. Its actually not a bad string, but it does break easily. Currently using the BG65-Ti at 22lbs, i see no problems. I wouldnt try 28lbs.

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Fyi, the racquet was bought in Mongkok Fa Yuen Street. A number of sports shops sell it at more or less the same price (the one I bought was the last one for that particular shop). The price HK$320 which including a dozen of Carlton AG-4 for free.

Since the racquet is come with string, I also think that this price is incredibly low.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Airblade 900 vs MP100

Hey Ricky, congratulations on your new racquet! I still swear by it, and indeed my MP100 is collecting dust... but as always this is subjective stuff, so while the 900 suits me perfect others may disagree. (Brett has even made us aware that there are two different 900s out there, a Chinese version and a Taiwan version, with different characteristics... bleh. I have the Chinese, btw)

I've had my 900 strung at abt 26 lbs without problems. Judging from the look and feel of the frame, which is quite sturdy, I'd say that stringing it to 28 lbs is no problem. But whatever racquet you have, stringing it to high tensions WILL reduce its life in the long run. I have the Carlton catalog at home, with specified recommended max tensions. I think they say 30 lbs for the 900, but I'll check tonight just to make sure. At that price you can afford to break it, anyway ;)

As someone here stated, the factory string is actually quite decent, but it does snap easily, so don't expect it to last too long!