stick smash a short lift when no time to turn?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ralphz, Oct 26, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I was speaking to somebody recently, and they said that if you get a short lift, it's good to stick smash it..(as opposed to a full smash)

I'm wondering what thoughts are on that, as to whether they agree and as to the why.

I can see that if it's a short lift then it needs less power.

Also, if moving back, then it's easier to turn and full smash, but that's for a regular lift.. But if it's a short lift, then moving forwards, there's not really a turn, so maybe it's hard or different to do the technique of a full smash if parallel with net? I'm not sure if that's the case?

I can see how if less time is a factor then one might just do a stick smash, but maybe sometimes with a short lift, it's easy to move forward quickly so it's not hard to get to so i'm not sure that it(choosing to stick smash rather than full smash), is an issue of there being less time?

Surya2503 likes this.
  2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

If a lift is too low then you will most likely have to stick smash and all of the power will only come from your arm. If a lift is in front of you and you have to move towards it then again it's more of an arm only smash. Stick smashes can be different too. For example, you could only rotate your forearm for a wristy, sharp angle "smash" or you could do a semi or full arm swing but still staying front on and that could still be considered a stick smash. You cannot run forwards, then go side on to do a full smash because that just doesn't make sense.

Simeon likes this.
  3. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Depends on the height of the shuttle. If the shuttle is flat then you don't want to put all your power into the smash, since it's very easy to make mistakes in such a situation. Otherwise full smash!

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

yeah

I think a stick smash is where your elbow stays at the same height.

A full arm swing smash done parallel with the net would not be a stick smash. (do you have any reference that uses the term stick smash like you are, to include a full arm swing but not turned?)

Granted they won't be "turned"(/in that set ready position), when going forwards.

Which one do players more commonly do in that situation? a stick smash, or a full arm swing?

Thanks

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Depends on how much time I have really. Use the one appropriate for the lift.

6. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

The advantage of the stick smash is , that it can be executed really fast. If you use a china jump + stick smash (almost no prepartion needed, low to no swing action) you can generate a really quick and steep response and intercept a low or short shot. The steepness is the key, because it reduces noticeable the time until the shuttle hits the ground. Compare this to a full-smash, which would result in faster shuttle speed, but would need more time to prepare.

If you keep this in mind you have two options:
    1. A quick steep stick smash which is slower and theoretically easier to defend, but which is executed so fast, that your opponent is still in a unbalanced stance.

2. A full smash which is faster and theoretically more difficult to defend, but your opponent will have more time to put himself in a balanced defense stance.

The advantage of the stick smash will vanish if you take the shuttle too far into the court (can't generate the necessary steepness, shuttle needs longer to travel, therefor a lot easier to defend), still it is a valid option if you are unable to move behind the shuttle quick enough and you want to keep the attack (thought it will degenerate to a fast drop eventually). Finally consider, that the stick smash is easier to read.

#6 Ballschubser, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

When you're not turned but can go forward, then i'd think you are going to have time for either.

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

yeah I know the advantage of a stick smash, that's not the question.

well we're not too far back in the court.

Is it? What you mean they know you're going to do it? not really, you could do a stick(form of a) punch clear. (maybe possible to do a stick (form of a) drop though I'm not sure if i've seen a stick form of a drop), besides areas a stick smash could be aimed.

From responses, it seems the answer is players may do either.

One player I spoke to that is intermediate level, thought that one could lose technique if rushing in and not turning, and so they'd only ever do a stick smash in that scenario, though maybe at a higher level that loss of technique wouldn't happen much, and so maybe then both options become reasonable.

Maybe if it's short and you are rushing in then a full on smash is the only option 'cos a stick smash perhaps requires you to be static. Whereas if it's short but you're able to stop / do stop, then you have either option.

#8 ralphz, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

In this case it would depend on how close I am to the net. The closer I am to the net the less swing I would put in to make sure I get it in the court. I've seen countless times where someone sees a short lift and does a full running smash just to hit it 5m out the back line.

10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

yeah for sure, for that case. And if high it'd be more of a stick smash and if lower then a short swing a bit like a stick smash but a lower contact point. Full smash would indeed have the risk you mention, and others make the other error of hitting it in the net with a full smash in that scenario..

The other case is intercepting it and no time to turn. I guess that one there may well be a lack of time hence stick smash.

11. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

For sure you have some options other than playing the smash, but compare it to the full-swing preparation where you can play a half-/full smash, fast/slow drop, (attack) clear. When you reach for a stick-smash you have less options (a clear is hard, blocking will result in a slow drop etc.). So, the advantage of the stick smash is still its quick execution and not the shot on its own. If you can't execute it quick enough and have time for a full swing/body motion attack, use the latter instead.