Steaming feather shuttles?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Vinman, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Vinman

Vinman Regular Member

Nutritionist
    So how many of you steam your feather shuttles before playing/practicing with them?

Reason I ask is because this last weekend I played in a tournament and bought Yonex AS-20 shuttles, played them right out of the tube (no steaming) and in my opinion they played and lasted as well and lasted as long compared to when I steam them.

I remember back in the mid 1980's early 90's when I played, steaming feather shuttles was the norm and nobody would play without steaming them.

Just curious if any members here have noticed any differences?

Tks in advance

Vin

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Steaming really only applies to places with low humidity. Some places in Canada don't really need it, such as on the east and west coast near the oceans. In Alberta, it gets very dry in the winters so we continue to steam them. It may not add a whole lot of durability but I think it does help. I think it also adds a bit of weight back to the shuttles as the corks and feathers dry out they lose a bit of weight.

Vinman likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Also another factor is how fresh the tube of birds are? If it has sat in the warehouse for years before getting into your hands, then it gets dry and brittle and durability becomes an issue. If relatively fresh, no problem.

Vinman likes this.
  4. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    Preach the truth lol.

Glad to see another Edmontonian here! I have been playing feather shuttles for the past 3 years and I have seen when they aren't steamed enough, they break within 1 hit. After steaming them, they last about 1-2 games. I use Victor Champion No 1.

If you live in GTA or Vancouver Area... steaming is optional.

5. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Just wondering, outside of the few main countries where badminton is more popular is feather cocks considered a luxury?

Being in Malaysia, I hardly see ppl play using plastic cocks.

Pardon my english

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Feathers are rare here but then so is the level of play that would really need it. Plus we don't have the selection of feathers here that's available in asia. I have a couple tubes of feathers in my bag but it becomes expensive if I'm the only one paying for them

7. ningbo GIG

ningbo GIG Regular Member

owner of factory
    only lower grade feather need to steam or duck,
    I never steam , because I use top grade goose shuttlecock