Standard of English

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mojopin, Sep 29, 2009.

1. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    Iz it jus me, r iz d standrd round ere relly relly droppin fast lol??WTF?!?!!!

seriously though, i realise my spelling isn't the best, but at least I take the time to type out full words and make some effort to contribute reasonably articulate posts. Some of the threads in the trainin(g!!) and general forum just hurt my brain.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

3. ncloud

ncloud Regular Member

heh, I have seen worst stuff in "professional" email communication from people who supposedly are well educated. These days you must make an effort to spell things wrong from all the red underlining every apps.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Firstly it must be understood that many members don't speak English as their first language. Even for those listing countries like Canada, USA, Australia and UK as their location, I would guess a fair number are immigrants. Hence not perfect English again.

I am concerned though about the declining quality of English of the younger generation. Speaking strictly about Canada, I feel the proliferation of texting coupled with lowered standards of English in our high schools has contributed to this. Once again I understand some of these kids may be immigrants but after reading countless posts from them, I'm haven't seen much in the way of improvement.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Oh dear, this thread is sounding like a librarians' snit session.:rolleyes:

The decline of written English has been going on for a long time. Yet the worst place to take it as evidence is here at an informal sports forum.
    This place is just for fun.:) Presumably we all write better at work or school.

If you want to hear the English language in one of its diverse facets, listen to this ad imitating the Newfoundland accent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m-y-qAbpL0

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hey, I've seen that ad before. I suppose it's an exaggerated version of a Newfie accent for the purpose of the ad.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The actor is exaggerating, but I've heard very close to that.;)
    Is there an equally unintelligible accent anywhere in British Columbia?

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

As you might or might not know, our BC bud is quite famous. Once inhaled, some become quite unintelligible while some completely pass out... dude :D

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We've got a problem here in Singapore too. :D

If you think our written English is almost unintelligible, wait till you hear us open our mouths. :p You wouldn't be able to understand the bulk of what we're trying to convey. But you will slowly learn to figure out later. ;)

You see, we are so used to speaking "Singlish" that it becomes a part of us and we expect people from elsewhere to understand us as well. Singlish is a mixture of English and local Chinese dialects, Malay and perhaps a few other regional languages. So much so that it creeps into our written English.

For years our government has been trying to instill that sense of "Speak good English" and campaign after campaign have been introduced over the years. Yet, we are not getting anywhere. We are not expecting Queens English to be spoken for practical reasons that our local teachers are not trained to speak that way. We hardly have Britons teaching English in our local schools except the international schools.

Only recently this subject of good English was being re-emphasized by the government as English is very important to Singapore if it wants to be a major global city. So now the teaching of English as a first language in our schools will be examined again to see how else we can improve to raise the standard. The better schools should not pose a problem but the neighbourhood schools are the ones that will find it a challenge!

"You wan to bet or not?" Kiasu! :D:D:D

If a Singaporean is in a foreign country he would be most happy to hear someone in the crowd speaking this way. :)

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Being a copyeditor, sometimes it's hard to do away from being a stickler for grammar. I see a lot of misused words, incorrect subject-verb agreement, wrong spelling, misplaced punctuations, and wrong article usage. (Oh! And don't get me started on tenses.) I can't help it; I'm always itching to correct them, although I try not to out of respect. But then, tracing back my posts, I realized that I also have misspelled words, bad sentence structure, and incorrect prepositions.

Contemplating on this, I found out that usually, I write a post here with my brain switched to the conversational way of thinking. You see, written English is different from conversational English. And as I've observed in this forum, people are like talking instead of writing a letter to each other. When you write, you reread the sentences to check the coherence. When you speak, there's no possibility of editing. You don't even have to think about the spelling. Your intention is to convey what you want to express. Maybe people here don't bother checking their sentences because they're pretty satisfied that they've conveyed what they want to tell.

Maybe it's a personal choice. If they want to write better, I think they could. But I wouldn't want everyone to be grammatically perfect; otherwise, I wouldn't have a job :D.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Lah, lih, loh...

..in case our Fidget is scratching his head on what is Singlish~enjoy;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-D2fd4QIes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXOoLKXhB8A&NR=1

#11 ctjcad, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  12. QuebecHitter

QuebecHitter Regular Member

College Student
    Brilliant! Mentioning singaporeans, a tad of an interesting element to discuss abt their way of communicating. Just like korean or japanese would want to have a "yo" or "des" behind their said conversations, the singaporeans love to have "ley", "la" and many more.

But that having said, asians are very beautiful people! ;)

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
  14. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    I was in sinagpore over the summer in TTSH and i have to say, it was really tricky following some of the conversations, especially those people with a chinese background. I know you guys are really smart, but slow down for me la!

I dont think its an excuse to say that this is an informal sports forum and you'd work better at school. What about when you leave school? Will you just negelct to ever include vwls in ur wrds eva agn?

Im not an old man, im only 22 but its just something that i find harder to read than correct english. Takes more effort to translate it.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    as long as you guys dont post the "sms" type of english in BC is fair enough.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hey young man, I think you're right! :)

Talking Singlish is okay as it is unique to Singaporeans but the problem comes when you need to switch to proper English when speaking or writing to a foreigner like mojopin. How many of us can do this?

This doesn't come easily as Singlish can be so ingrained in our Singaporean culture that we think it is acceptable in the English language world. But sadly, this is not, especially when it comes to written English. If we can't communicate properly in intelligible English, I think we are not moving forward and we may miss business and other opportunities to those who are able to do so effectively.

So we must improve our English and be able to switch from Singlish to proper English at will. ;)