Sportsmanship: At the end of the game, shake your opponent's hand first

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Pemuda, May 17, 2008.

1. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Agreed.
    Just walking up to shake your opponent hands....to acknowledge a game well played or well fought takes only a few minutes, then go and hug your coaches/families and share with them your joy of winning. No one will care if the celebrations last long, but imagine if you're the losing player just standing on the court waiting for the tradition handshake after the game. Courtesy is not rocket science and is not expensive. All it takes is considerations and a few minutes of your life. For that, the recipient will be grateful. It is not only happening in badminton, not only in sports...you see it in everyday life. Drivers simply ignoring you when you let them cut in front of you, no wave of hand, people just striding through the door you open, no thank you's....well, you know little things you see or experience, like some of the postings justifying that, "Oh...no big deal, let me hug my coach, my families, my supporters, all my team mates.....oh yeah, and that poor guy that standing on the court waiting....
    It is the coming of the end to civilization, when people start to trivialize and saying bad manners are okay and are norm to everyday life.

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The only reason why I would shake the opponents hands first is because it will be courtesy to a person who has just lost to you - sportmanship.

There is no reason why the winner can't celebrate jubilantly only after that. Pemuda is right for once. I totally agree with his views. :)

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Exactly you can't compare a badminton court to squash or tennis. I mean in squash your opponent is the closest thing to you and in tennis there are no courtside coaches. Only in Davis Cup do you have coaches and teammates right there and I've seen often enough the winning player getting swarmed by his teammates before being able to shake hands just like in the TUC ;).

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    guess what? it is MAL fans that ridiculed LD and say he is arrogant because he didn't shake LCW's hands after LCW had won at 06 MAL Open. In fact, LD waited at the net for a while then he gave up waiting for the celebrative LCW.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Cooler.... don't incite a riot here. I don't think this comment was necessary.

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Now just wondering..
    Would Lin Dan ever do anything like this ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7yPuQ5p1I

Wang Liqin as shown in the video is currently ranked 3rd in table tennis.
    During the Japan Open <I forgot which year>, the ball touched his shirt when he had served.
    His opponent noticed it and therefore did not strike the ball. The umpire called a let, but Wang Liqin showing good sportsmanship called a fault on himself and went to change the scoreboard and give a point to his opponent. He ended up losing that game.

If Lin Dan shows such sportsmanship and integrity like Wang Liqin the table tennis player, I'd be very suprised.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#27 cooler, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

I think this singling out of a specific player is a bit silly. I would be very surprised if ANY professional badminton player did this... especially at the high level of a Super Series Final. The sport of badminton now has $$$$ attached to winning and because of this the idea of sportsmanship and integrity go downhill unfortunately.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

shuttle did not roll over, kkk/tbh kept quiet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYNkePtHjo
    japan won the match

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Thanks, I see your point.
    I'd be suprised if anything like that happens in badminton. But still, I'd be even more suprised if Lin Dan does that. IMO, he'd get alot more fans and respect from others if he does that. Well, the same for all other players.. but they don't want to sacrifice money for reputation and respect/etc .

Btw, I was singling out on LD because of his previous actions and problems he has caused.

11. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

No problem jhirata. I hope I didn't come across as singling out your Lin Dan comment out. A number of posters seem to have blind hate directed to specific players and it's just me getting a bit annoyed. Like I said with big money on the line, sportsmanship will be the exception and not the rule regardless of the nationality player/players.

In the end I watch all players of all nationalities for entertainment and as a means to learn how to play better.

12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Maybe you should just move on.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

We should all move on. It's almost like when the opportunity arises to start pointing fingers that.... aaahh, never mind. This is about sportsmanship, period. :)

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    huh???...i remeber that this happened before in thomas cup final...forget which year...i think it was a china player in 3rd single match...at championship point...the smash touches his shirt and out...he honestly tell the umpire(the umpire didnt notice)...i am not sure if is was a china player or ina player did that...anyone know???

15. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

. Since LCW never won a Olympic or WC medals, and only won some open titles, base on your reasons, so he did it for the money it seem LOLOL.

#36 cooler, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Aren't we forgetting something...

This is the jist of what some people think:

"Why do we mourn sportsmanship? Isn't this handshake just a stuffy anachronism? The players respect each other well enough off camera in the locker room."

They illustrate that they have reached the top of their domain through hard work, persistence, strong mind and body. These are lessons we are supposed to take away and use in all aspects of our life. It's especially instructive to our youth, whom we want to grow up to be hard-working, persistent doctors, lawyers, or garbagemen. Presumably we'd like our kids to grow up being respectful too. So it is not too much to ask their heroes to shake hands (not necessarily immediately, but quickly) to show the proper respect that we would like to think could exist in the wider world.

(Heck, if ice hockey players can shake hands after 7 games of tripping, slashing, poking and fighting each other, anyone can.:))

18. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Let european play their sports and Asian play Aian's sports. Is that better?