SMART Badminton ASIA Championships 2022 (Manila, 26 April-01 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 25, 2022.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good job guys. Argument is on the player.

Not sime lunatic fans who like to be little people. Immature punks. Lol. ;)

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

WHY has the potential but not yet. However, I like the way he stepped it up in G2 but LZJ is a little more effective at the net. I believe WHY will improve with every match played , learning and acquiring a better grasp of the game to build up his arsenal as he goes along.

As for "The Queen" (not my moniker), the way she played yesterday with HBJ and today with AY , I mean, P V Sindhu starting off the blocks with her thundering smashes now and then and threatening to blow her opponents away was nothing less than staggering, to me at least. Just imagine the two poor female adversaries on the receiving end of Sindhu's onslaught, her barrage of power smashes sending them reeling or leaving them stranded looking stunned, lost and helpless.

Almost immediately, the image of a female version of Lee Zii Jia flashed in my mind as I began to wonder, are we going to witness a new trend of women's singles badminton of raw power , brute force crushing everything in its path and sweeping aside the beauty and artistry of stroke play ? Think the Williams Sisters in tennis, I 'm referring to their build and athleticism , a new breed of women's singles badminton emerging in the circuit soon, not sure if that's a welcome development.

Luckily, to both HBJ and AY's credit, they managed to adjust their game to deal with it better as the match wore on, mostly in G2 and G3. The latter came out on top as the former failed at the last hurdle, for which I'd attribute AY's victory, perhaps, one, to the advantage of getting wind of what happened to HBJ the day before and thus was mentally prepared ,and, two, in my opinion, due to AY avoiding lifting one too many shots long at the backline, which proved costly for HBJ.

Still, to be honest, I can't help feeling Sindhu's power play will continue to stump many a player going forward for some time at least.

Anks likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Btw, what was Sindhu faulted by the umpire for during her match with Akane for which the former remonstrated long and hard for a few minutes and even unsettled her a fair bit for the rest of the game? I happened to watch that match on my handphone (not my usual practice) and didn't get to hear the entire saga clearly.

Anks likes this.
  4. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

If anyone needs a link for
    Iirc she was given a fault while she was preparing to serve at 14 - 11 in 2nd set.
    Umpire said something like "Fault Server ongoing (?) delay".

Umpire had told her earlier that she should serve faster.

PVS stated that she was waiting for AY to get ready to receive on that occasion.
    Since the camera only showed AY the last five seconds before the fault I couldn't make out whether PVS was actually waiting for AY or just taking her time...

I only skimmed through the match but it seems odd that he would give her a fault instead of a yellow card like what most umpires would do...

#204 Woesi, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Cheung, ant01, Baddyforall and 2 others like this.
  5. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I think PVS was delaying to some extent for sure. The question is really what exactly was the circumstance and was it right to deduct point?
    - Regarding whether AY was ready. The camera was on AY and she was indeed “not set” at the moment when fault was called. But it was also clear that she was ready a few seconds ago but it was the other side who was not ready. In short I think “AY was not ready” was not a legit reason and it was clear that PVS was dictating the pace.
    - Regarding previous warnings. The umpire has verbally reminded PVS to accelerate her pace multiple times before the incident.
    - whether point deduction was warranted. This I really don’t know. I haven’t seen anything like this before (meaning without a yellow card first).
    - PVS’ protest. She protested vehemently and called for the supervisor right away. But obviously as we all know, usually the call won’t be reversed.

Justin L likes this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...997-DC20-41A7-A871-7917A79C4FE5&d=20220501&c=

upload_2022-4-30_18-0-49.png

Men's singles final showdown will confront Malaysian protagonist and Indonesian heartthrob, Lee ZJ subdued China rising star Weng HY in two straight-games, Lee outclasses the lethargic and puzzled Weng in first game, nothing more left for WR #81 as every lift was punished by scary smash that effectively yields point. In second game, Weng had read his opponent style of play, began to undergo aggressive mode and propelled deadly smash. International exposure, counter-attacking shot and defense aspect differentiate both players despite their age separated by one year only. The potential Weng must participate several satellite tournaments to catching up the deficit of experience and upgrade ranking point, it's impossible for him to take part upcoming BWF top tier tours in THA, INA & MAS with current WR. Jonatan Christie beat younger compatriot Wardoyo and keep consistency on the way to reach three finals in a row.

Sindhu played well like yesterday but it’s not enough to defeat Yamaguchi fighting spirit. The Japanese showed strong mentality to find a way back from troublesome situation in second game, her never say die attitude has paid off. Sindhu lost momentum in third game to break Yamaguchi solid fortitude and the Japanese have controlled the drift well, playing normal on her less error standard. One weird incident happened in second game (14-11) when Jordanian umpire gave free point for Yamaguchi, regarding the Indian had delayed to serve, no wonder Sindhu protested that bad decision. Big upset happened at adjacent court to know Wang Zhiyi outlasts An SY in three games, something to cheer about for Chinese fans, the resilient Wang will face heavyweight test whether she could score career breakthrough.

The underdogs Pram/Yere halt the inconsistent Alfian/Ardianto from final spot portrays fierce internal competition between Indonesia men's doubles camp, it's not big surprise if one of the next generation pairs will take over senior teammates soon as regeneration going smoothly. Will it be happy ending for INA youngsters in Manila? First time meeting to face Aaron Chia/Soh WY, the Malaysian #1 haven't won any big title yet since grabbed big attention when managed All England runner-up in 2019.

Chen/Jia are clear favorite to nail second BAC gold medal looking at their final opponent, Iwanaga/Nakanishi beat more fancied Fukushima/Hirota who still struggling to back on top post Sayaka Hirota long lay-off. World #23 Japanese duo best result prior this event were runner-up of Hylo Open 2021, a big leap for their career to enter S1000 final.

China is back to business in mixed doubles routine, WataHiga put their best effort in second game to extend the match but the Olympic Champions have returned to their mojo, Wang YL was more active to trouble the Japanese with his cross court smash and fast interception to disturb the rallies. Zheng/Huang only spent 15 minutes of play as INA pair conceded to retire following Praveen Jordan suffered back pain.

Jeremy73, It'sMeMeMe and Cheung like this.
  7. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I too happened to watch that. Something weird was he did all that delay tactics even while he was having comfortable lead over his opponent. Hope AA hasn’t watched that match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baddyforall likes this.
  8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yesterday, that incompetent Umpire awarded a point to Akane yamaguchi without showing any card to Sindhu just for delaying serve and changed the course of the match. But thinking of Srikanth and weng Hongyang match, I am dumb struck. We were able to see all the bad manners on the court from weng Hongyan but still he escaped without even a single card. Then you could understand how biased that Jordan umpire is .

Anks likes this.
  9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

same umpire?

10. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Any links to livestream, please?

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Is there livestream for todays finals?

12. teojb

teojb Regular Member

13. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Is tbs not doing the live stream?

14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

15. lurker

lurker Regular Member

16. extremenanopowe

Yama lousy after the knee incident. Boring. ;)

17. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

now's the time for the "Standard Chinese Tactical Timeout" card.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  18. extremenanopowe

What a joke. 19-19. Lol ;)

19. extremenanopowe

Big escape for chinese. What a pressure. Yama lots of mistakes today. 2nd game and 3rd game 1st 10 points literally gave away. Lol ;)

20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Looks like Sindhu followed the advice from Anks and skipped the medal ceremony

Anks and Baddyforall like this.