Slow play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Suilven, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Watching the controversial U.S. Open match between Coco Gauff v Laura Siegemund,
    Gauff was frustrated at the slow play tactics of Siegemund and complained to umpire,
    it lead to crowd hostility towards Siegemund and eventual a point penalty the next game.

I observed much the same in the game between Anders Antonsen v Kodai Naraoka at the world champs,
    I thought the game was slow and bitty, inbetween points it was a snooze fest,
    there was a lot of time wasting by both players, the usual tricks which most badders fans know,
    an example, player wants court wiped and umpire had to repeatedly ask the player to show where it is,
    said player deliberately ignore umpire and proceed to drink and wipe down,
    by the end of the shenanigans, the time between serves is like the end of set changeover.

As regards to what’s acceptable and what’s not,
    I always thought the game should be played at the servers pace,
    if the server is ready to serve, receiver should be ready to receive serve and not looking away,
    walking another loop, drying court with shoe etc…I feel umpires should reprimand players for it,
    what do peeps here think?.

Cheung likes this.
  2. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

I'm only annoyed when I see players hold their serves...Choi Sol-gyu comes into mind where he always holds his serves for what seems like an eternity.

Suilven likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I think there is no absolute rule to this. Its all come back to the umpire. Like serve judge or lines judge. Some are stupidly strict that they would vault a pro class player server 10 times & some would just let small thing slip out.

Yeah, its also my nemesis. Kinda anoying having a pause mode, my focus abit losenup & suddenly the serve come into play.

Suilven likes this.
  4. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Agreed, it’s one of the ploys to disrupt your opponents natural playing rhythm,
    Axelsen for one is a fast player and keen to get things going inbetween points,
    I’ve seen him riled a bit at times and retrieve the dead shuttle quite snappily at times to keep the flow.

Yes, umpires could be unduly lenient at times.

Servers intentional pause mode is my pet hate too, it definitely disrupts the receivers game,
    it’s like the long hold of the starting pistol in the sprints events at Athletics.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Referees better be more willing to start giving out yellow and red cards after warnings. It will keep us audience more entertained.

6. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Yep, there are times i wish the umpire would do something,
    if it involves the offending player tantrum and calling for the ref,
    so be it, at least the offending player knows the officials are on his/her case,
    hopefully sends as message across the net they better behave,
    let’s face it, players will always push boundaries,
    If we have weak officials, it turns into a farce.

speCulatius and Cheung like this.