Singapore Satellite 2006

Discussion in '2006 Tournaments' started by magical_phoenix, Aug 8, 2006.

1. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Thanks a lot Jug8man, all interesting players. Wei Feng beats Beryno in pre-SS team event today!

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I will take a day off tomorrow, Tuesday, to watch the start of the MS, WD, MD and XD. A very long day indeed! I hope to see some of you at the Toa Payoh Sports Hall.

I pity the winners of today's qualifiers as some would have to play 3 matches, in the morning, afternoon and evening just to gain entry to the Main draw. By tomorrow, they would have lost much of their energy and would be easy prey for their opponents if they should advance any further.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hmm..it seems that the Singapore Satelitte is quite interesting..with Team Indonesia's Second Team in full force.

I hope to make it to the stadium tomorrow....probably in the late afternoon...with intention to watch the young pairs in WD (Nitya/Nadya), XD (Tantowi/Yulianti, Lingga/Devi, Frans/Nitya) and hopefully some MD (Yoga/Yonathan, Frans/Rendra, Akhsan/Bona, Lingga/Tantowi).

See you guys at the Toa Payoh Stadium.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Well, hoping people on location will soon upload picks!

Highly anticipating Loh's Report as well!!! Always worthwhile to read.

Cheers,
    The Borneon BaddyNut

5. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Agreed.

Bummer huh Alex, Beryno and Kenn out so early! :(

6. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Jeffer Rosobin was 1996 world cup MS runner-up?

7. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

I went to Singapore Satellite yesterday and it was super cool!!! But too bad I had to leave very early 'coz I've got somethign up in my uni. Met so many wonderful people. Loh, super nice, super cool and taught me how to clap loudly to support Weifeng. Hahaha. And took many pics too! Waiting for your pics and report :D :D Georgina also super sweet and cute and nice... Intro me to Peerasak who is super cute and all-smiling guy. And I'd love to meet more Thai players!! Of course, there is also Chong Weifeng, the 11th seeded, a very nice and cool guy.. hahaha. I would love to meet him again.. Jia you Weifeng!!
    Too bad Lim Kenn and Beryno lost already, and they had to go back to KL so fast... :(

Attached Files:

8. yannie

yannie Regular Member

I know you would... LMAO! Don't laugh in class...
    Hey Serla, those pics are great, but a bit blurry... can you tell me who they are... I can see Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren, Chong Li Qun (?) And how about the group pic?
    When will Loh post his pics :eek: :D ? Tell us more about the tournament...

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Anyone has today's MS results? I'm quite excited, but the website hasn't updated the results yet... *faint*

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I have posted more pics under the thread "Cheers Asian Satellite 2006" as there are too many pics to be included. Your Malaysian friends' faces should be there. I've also shot one for Serla with Chong. :D

11. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Yeah, I saw. Serla sent me the pics already... she's super duper happy and hyper...

I would say Feng Feng is in superb form! :)

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think you would be happy to know that Chong Wei Feng has beaten Tommy Sugiarto in 3 sets this evening. Tommy ran out of stamina and he eventually gave the rubber set to Wei Feng without much resistance. I will write more later....

13. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Yes, Tommy the 2nd seeded... Serla told me already... Wei Feng got supporters!!! Haha!

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Ok...here's my turn to write about my afternoon at the Toa Payoh Sports Hall. I did not turn up yesterday because I had to settle some personal matters. Therefore, an apology to Loh and Serla for not turning up yesterday.

It was raining cats and dogs since early afternoon and I was lucky to get there when the rain stopped for a while. It was 3pm when I entered the venue and there were matches going on. I took some time to find a good seat and it happened that there was a group of Indonesians there (including Shinta's dad and brother + possibly a badminton coach at a secondary school). We talked about the Indonesian junior players and also the Singaporean players. Shinta's dad even asked me how the Singaporean contingent is doing at the HK Open.

Over at the court, I watched quite a number of doubles matches, most of them won easily by Indonesian pairs. Frans Kurniawan/Rendra Wijaya looked quite impressive in their comprehensive defeat of a Vietnamese pair in just 15 mins. They will meet their counterparts Akhsan/Bona Septano in the QF tomorrow. I also caught the thrilling closing stage of the match between Mohd Arif Latif/Vountus Indra Mawan (both looked very very young) who managed to scrape through the quarter-final after a rubber-set victory 23-21, 16-21, 22-20 over the Singapore pair Ricky Widianto/Chayut Triyachart. The Singapore pair was at match point but eventually lost the match!

Next up was WD and MS matches. Both the Indonesian pairs progress through to the quarter-final without breaking a sweat. Nitya Krishinda/Nadya Melati beat a Swiss pair 21-13, 21-10 in 25 mins, while Puspa Shendy/Devi Tika Permatasari also thrashed their Philippines opponent 21-9, 21-8 in just 20 mins. The local pair Vanessa Neo Yu Yan/Shinta Mulia Sari also have no problem beating their Malaysian opponent 21-12, 21-10.

In the MS, the most anticipated match was between Tommy Sugiarto (the no 2 seed) and Chong Wei Feng. Tommy was earlier stretched to 3 sets by a China-born Singapore player and this could have an effect on his performance. He was sluggish in the early stages of the first set and let Chong lead 11-6 at the interval. Slowly, he displayed some good touches and managed to level the scores. It was tight at the closing stages but Tommy managed to win 21-19. The second set was also close but Tommy was in the lead until the score was 17-15 to his advantage. Somehow, Chong managed to get a second wind and snatched the second set 21-17. It was also obvious at this stage that Tommy has run out of gas. It was probably the match with the most towel breaks, almost once for every point since the middle of the second set. The umpire also gave Tommy a yellow card perhaps for requesting towel breaks too many times?. When he lost the second set, I knew that it was all-over for Tommy. He basically gave the rubber set to Chong Wei Feng who won easily 21-8. What a disappointment!

The other exciting matches include the match between Alamsyah Yunus and Indra Bagus. It went to deuce in the rubber set, with both players shouting histerically every time they got a point. Indra Bagus won 22-20 in the exciting rubber game.

The last few matches I watched were the XD and MD. All 4 Indonesian pairs won their XD matches and will meet each other tomorrow. The most impressive pair was perhaps the newly formed Tantowi/Yulianti, who beat the no 1 seed Tan Wee Kiong/Woon Khee Wei 21-14, 21-17. The other 2 matches were mismatches as Yonathan Suryatama/Nadya Melati and Frans Kurniawan/Nitya Krishinda won easily in 20 mins. The last Indonesian pair, Lingga/Devi Tika Permatasari had some problems beating Syed Akhbar Syed Mustakin/Yeow Mie Xie. They were trailing from the very beginning until the opponent reached game point. They managed to come back and force a deuce at 20-20. They took the last 2 points of the set and won 22-20. The second set was also close. They were leading 14-11 before mistakes began to creep in and they found that they were trailing 15-18 in no time. Only at this stage that they came back yet again and won the second set 21-19.

As for WS, I watched only a portion of the match between Maria Kristin Yulianti and Chen Jiayuan. The Indonesian girl won 21-19, 21-16 and will face her compatriot Maria Elfira Christina tomorrow. The match which caught my attention was between Melicia Kurniawan and a Thai girl. And that was because of the Indonesian girl's coach, Liang Chiu Hsia. I was quite surprised to see her in Singapore and apparently, Melicia is one of her protege. The young Indonesian girl won 21-19, 21-13 and she will face Gu Juan tomorrow.

So, that's all from me for now. I am still not sure whether I will go tomorrow evening (matches will start from 5:30pm).

#54 badMania, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi badMania, we really missed you yesterday. I was too tired to go today after standing up most of the time at the mini stadium and it was raining as well. But tomorrow's timing after office hours will suit me better and I hope you can make it too. Wonder whether Serla and Georgina will show up?

16. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

yeah, I will definitely show up! Hahaha. Wah, so nice that I'll see u again! Take more nice pics ok!? Tomorrow very heavy day, I mean my bags are heavy with all the textbooks. Coming directly from uni after class.

17. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Chong Wei Feng vs Liew Daren :eek:

Hmm..should i support Chong Wei Feng or Liew Daren.. :rolleyes:
    I'll go for Daren :D Jia You Daren! Daren Boleh!
    I know magical_phoenix will go for Wei Feng :p
    Yannie? Pick one now..:cool:

18. Georgina

Georgina Regular Member

Student
    Yeah!I will go today too!
    See you guys around this evening ok!!

19. yannie

yannie Regular Member

OMG!!! Erin, you're killing me! You support Daren? Sze Yin supports him too, and Steeve supports Wei Feng..... So it's 2 vs 2.
    Who will I support :crying: I think you do know already...*FAINT*

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I am off to watch the Satelitte now. So, see you guys at TPSH!