Singapore Open : Finals

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by wilfredlgf, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    yup
    his look very disappointed!!!!
    :crying: :crying:

2. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    I would also be dissapointed and crying if i lost like that :crying: .....it was there for the taking..... :crying:

Well, hopefully with the new BAM mandate, M'sian players will win more titles instead of being the bridesmaid most of the time....... :) :) :)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A very interesting match.

Lee definately could have won but pacing himself was a problem.

He had a hard match yesterday, played brilliantly first game, relaxed a bit in the 2nd and then lost his rhythm.

Kenneth kept getting the shuttle back, kept the rallies going and made Lee work hard. There was no way Lee was going to win the 3rd game after losing the 2nd game.

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    My, that was a great game. GG to Kenneth for winning it in style. GL to LCW for the future.

HF to the forumers as I hope you guys had fun watching it or seeing the commentry here. [​IMG]

Anyways LCW had very little mental strength if you compared it against KJ. KJ was very strong mentally especially in the 2nd and 3rd sets. Malaysian Players after the early 90s generation have very little fight back spirit as compared to other players currently.

Prolly it's like what cooler said, Ong Ewe Hock Syndrome. If you'd like to call it that.

I'd just say LCW didn't have a good finishing that's all [​IMG]

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    At least he can win somewhere :)

But seriously, I think he broke down mentally. His game is based on precision and once he tightens up, errors keep coming. Losing by a huge margin in the rubber game is indication of that. No way is Kenneth that far away. If LCW has the Kenneth mentality, he will be very hard to stop.

Well, congrats to Kenneth, and to LCW, being second is not too bad.

6. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Kenneth fought well in the second n third match despite his defeat at the first.
    LCW is just no match against him.I like LCW smaches alot.I wonder what happened to LCW in the third game...he dun seem to be playing well..

For Men double,it an easy win for the INDO pair.They are they agressive and fast in speed

7. khelben

khelben Regular Member

yeah the second set was indeed very very tense... the atmosphere in the stadium wuz phenomenal!! haha but kenneth's court coverage as well as his reflexes were SUBLIME today :D ... haha think lcw got very frustrated when kenneth found his rythmn and all of lcw's smashes/drops etc came right back over... i personally think he tried too hard in the first game... he was very fsat and sharp then but he inevitably over exerted himself saving nothing for later which in my opinion is a mistake when playing against a fighter like kenneth... haha from the later part of the second game all the way to the third all kenneth did was really to make lcw move aound court alot and lcw wuz indeed becoming to predictable... in the first game he kept attacking kenneth's backhand side which saw many points coming from there... but he just kept on doing and attacking the same side leaving kenneth with no guess work to be done... well all in all i must say it wuz def the best match of the day... haha

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't think so. At least he had enough energy to get to match point in the second set. But the deciding factor was that he could not convert the match point. Even in deuce, he got the first point but once again could not capitalise. It was very tense, but once KJ got it, it was over. Theorectically, LCW could have made the third set a tough fight, but he switched off mentally. Ironically, I think that if LCW lost the second set easily, the third would have been much more interesting.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well thats the problem with Msians Mental problem..

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    so far LCW record is 3 finals....... and champion in 1 of them. thats a 33.33% (which is not bad...) success rate so far in a 50-50 environment. i wouldnt be too hasty on pinning it on mental problem or 'village-complex' coz i think its just too early to conclude such.

all i can is that he has proven that he is a world class player and capable of great things. but another thing that can be said is that he is a not a lin dan (5 finals this year: five championships ----> 100%).

but how many ppl can be put in the same class as lin dan? i think LD's accomplishments this year is begining to dwarf Gade's and Taufik's past and present acheivements.

anybody with the statistics?

my take on LCW loss was due to the the wrong strategy againts the wrong opponent. ie a to fast and exhausting approach againts someone just too stubborn to call it quits. KJ is trully a real fighter.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As past matches have shown, anyone playing against Kenneth Jonassen should never be complacent and always be on guard as KJ has proven to be a great fighter to the last! :D

Hopefully, Lee Chong Wei has learned from this encounter and emerge as good a fighter as KJ in the years ahead.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Did you know that the trigger-happy (on the PC keyboard that is) FEND. even had time to call me on the handphone (from Brunei) during the Finals to say he couldn't see us and our banner on TV? Obviously he was glued to the TV in order to report the results alsmost instantaneously for the benefit of BFers who had no direct access to the proceedings.

Well, we had a slight hitch at the SIS. The person in charge was very buzy managing the fun activities at the lobby and at the same time looking after the requirements at the main arena, As a result, she was unable to put up our banner and block up the seats for our group.

Kwun decided to get back the banner and we put it up on the railing just behind our row of seats, for which we went early at 12 pm to 'reserve' them ourselves. But after about an hour or so, we had to take down the banner because of 'complaints'. It could be from the spectators sitting right behind whose view was blocked by the banner or from the advertisers for commercial reasons. That was why the BC.com banner was not fully in sight due to the short time exposure and the less than prominent location it was hung up.

But thanks for the call, Edmund. It was a pleasant surprise coming from you. Our loss at the SIS is however a gain to the other BF members as they can continue to benefit from your fast and explosive coverage of the finals! :)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    FEND called?? that's cool. :)

i did managed to take a picture before the banner was requested to be taken down and before all the seats are filled. i outlined approx where the BC'ers are sitting. it was a scramble at the beginning to block out seats after we found out that we didn't get the assigned seat.

Attached Files:

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Here's where our BC.com banner was positioned:

Attached Files:

15. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Ladies Doubles Final: China vs Thailand

Attached Files:

16. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Saw Bao Chunlai filming the Men Singles Final at the VIP seats. Probably wanted to study Lee Chong Wei's game and reflect upon why he lost the semi-final to Lee Chong Wei.

Huang Sui was sitting nearby patiently waiting for her sweetheart. She was wearing a simple top and pants. Initially I was wondering who she was and thought she was a model until someone pointed out she was Huang Sui. She looked indeed different. Bao gave his windbreaker to Huang Sui as it was getting chilly in SIS. ;)

17. Pball

Pball Regular Member

I was watching this live yesterday... seemed like LCW ran out of gas, started to mishit some smashes.. then lose composure...

this is not to take anything away from KJ. Anyone who comes back like that is a real champion in my book.. nerves of ice!!

18. Pball

Pball Regular Member

yup... have to agree with you on this one, started to do some fancy shots,
    and allowed KJ back into the game....

19. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    mmm. so you never agreed with me on other occasions?? :D :D

20. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    who's the sweetheart? :confused: