[Singapore Lianhe Zaobao]It's very soon for Chinese to be popular Language all world

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cxytdn, Jun 2, 2006.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

中文将很快在世界上流行起来​

世界上正式的外交语言是随着实力的转移而变化的。从十六世纪到十七世纪中叶拉丁语一直是国际交往的惯用语言,因为西班牙与葡萄牙的强盛。此后法语取而代之,一统天下,那是因为路易十四与拿破仑带领下的法国是世界首领。法语主导250年左右,直到1919年的巴黎和会,由于英国和美国两国占主导地位才使得英语第一次成为与法语同等地位的正式语言。(也因为英属殖民地的数量多)现在的中国发展速度迅猛,从经济实力和语言优点方面来讲中文将很快在世界上流行起来。理由如下:
      1. 经济规模的迅速发展,使得各国与中国的交流频密起来。懂得中文无疑可以使得各国商人或政府人员增加与中国人沟通交流的效率,这可以让他们把握中国发展带来的效益。

2. 中文的字数少容易学习,我国的扫盲要求认得字数是2000个,而认得3500字的中文就可以看懂全部的中文资料。而英语学习,记得七八千单词可以勉强看得了报纸,认得两万字的博士看资料还要经常查字典,因为英语的单词量太多有近百万个,不能完全记得下来。

3. 中文最大限度地达到既表音又记形。世界各国作为实物的山水牛羊都差不多,表示它们的语言也许有数百种,然而只有汉字还能看到山水牛羊的影子,而从英语的mountain、water、ox、sheep中却根本不能。可以根据中文象形字的特点来作为中文的教授捷径,只要我国的相关部门研制出专业的图文教育资料,突破外国人的语言学习习惯所形成的障碍,中文会很快的流行。因为中国有太多的谜外国人需要了解,如:为什么国家可以持续存在发展?为什么中国不进行殖民侵略?为什么中国可以平等的对待各类的国家?……。

4. 联合国出来的文件肯定是中文版最薄,这说明了中文的简便。现在各种输入法的发明也说明中文的简便,相信以后中国程序技术的发展也会证明用中文编程序的简便。因为中文三、四千字就可以构成完美表达的整套语言系统,而其他的语言则不能这样。

之所以断定中文要在世界上流行,除取决与国家实力发展外,还主要的是因为中文的简便的优点。为什么这么少的字能够满足人们的需要,就足以表达丰富的思想、适应社会和时代需要?这才是事物的本质和真正的优点,而其根本的原因就在于单个汉字除了如葡萄、鸳鸯等连绵字、如了、吧、吗、语助字外,差不多都是可以独立存在的词,而且汉字极其活跃,组词能力特别强。字量少,词量大,字词本位才是汉语的优势本质所在。随着中国的发展和国家中文教育课程的开发,中文将很快的在世界上流行起来。

中文的简便是扩大国家软实力的法宝,要赶快的行动起来促进中文在世界的流通。中文在世界上流行不但容易形成中华民族凝聚力、有利于建设强大的中国,还能够给世界人民带来便利,可以造福世界人民。“奇文共欣赏”,让世界人民一起来共享中文的便利!

辛一山 联合早报网

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    so, what will be the official spoken chinese language? putonghua? but why not cantonese or shanghainese or shandongnese or fujianese..........?:D :D :D

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Worked hard to learn how to read back when I was in secondary school, out of practice, so can't recognise most of the characters anymore. :D

I have an opinion on the topic though - spurred by a coursemate in university who made a (loud) comment that "Chinese will become a world language in the future!".

I think it's a tad bit of either arrogance or over-optimism to assume that Chinese* will become a global language just because China is the most populous nation on the world. I don't quite see how it will displace English or Spanish or French as the preferred lingua franca. The spread of these three languages has its roots in the colonialisation of the world during the exploration and expansion era of the past. The British Empire owned almost half the world during the height of her powers, many of them important points of power - Hong Kong, India, Gibraltar, Israel-Palestine to name a few.

China, however, is the world's biggest single market (we'll come to that in a bit) - no doubt about that. Imagine selling something for the profit of just 20 cents to 'just' 100 million people there, you'll get some 20 million dollars worth of profit. It's not difficult to see why the world wants to do business there.

Still, it isn't this Japanese, American or German company whom are dealing with the people themselves - it's their local representatives, local offices whom would be the one communicating with the market. They would mostly be employed locally with some foreign experts whom would be overseeing the operations - these experts would be the one needing the command in the local language. And how many would there be? I would imagine a lot, but that isn't going to make the language global. Why would the normal 10 (example) million professionals in America and Britain would need to have a command in Chinese for? And even so, would they speak to one another in Chinese?

You won't find a Spaniard and a Taiwanese on the Internet chatting in Chinese.

It just isn't practical.

I speak English with my superiors and colleagues, have our company documents done in English, have meetings in English, even when just about all I deal with are Chinese. Even if you look forward to the future some 100 years from now, I doubt we'd be doing our bookkeeping and official correspondence with our New Zealand business partners in Chinese?

Our coffee break or lunch talks are mostly in the Chinese however - Mandarin, Hakka, Hokkien etc.

People probably mistaken largest market as largest economy as both are rather different in context - the largest market need not necessarily be the largest economy and vice versa eg Japan is the world's second largest economy but its local market is quite small compared to their global customers.

The largest economy, in the making however, is the European Union. It is already by a single unit the biggest by GDP and will overtake the United States in the near future as the wrinkles are ironed out. With superior technology and economy clout,they will emerge as the biggest competitor to the United States as an emerging superpower.

Will be looking for some statistics to back up or disprove what I've said above.

Sorry to veer out into the EU. ;)

Back to globally popular language - is normally determined by the most internationally practically lingua franca. I won't be surprised if Chinese becomes a worldwide popular language, but it would far from being the most important. Everybody wants to learn Japanese, but it is by far the most impractical unless you're dealing with people from the land of the rising sun.

* Furthermore, the argument about the Chinese being everywhere; go to the Chinatowns around the Western world or even Hong Kong and the language you're most likely to hear is the dialect of Cantonese! I don't see how Mandarin will become a global language unless we can understand one another first - walk around KL or Penang and try speaking Mandarin to the people on the street, you'd be surprised that many can't reply or even understand. To add to that most oversea Chinese no longer find it practical to study and speak that language because it's used only at home or not at all when everybody around you is speaking English or French or whatever the local language.

Just my two cents worth and I would like to hear some feedback on this.

Positive arguments are good for the development of the mind. :)

And red stratocaster's joke has a point - what or which Chinese? Dialect is not something you are taught in schools.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Many years ago, Singapore has adopted Madarin or putonghua as it is known in China and Hong Kong, as the official Chinese language in schools, in government and in business.

There are a number of major Chinese dialect groups here, like Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Hailam, Hakka, Hockchiew, Foochiew, etc. This has caused a lot of confusion in the spoken word and the government decided that only one version, Mandarin, should be used in all schools learing that language. There is no problem with the written word as all dialect groups have the same written form. Needless to say, this policy has caused a great deal of resentment and unhappiness, but a neutral Mandarin is the best solution as it doesn't represent any one major dialect group.

Radio broadcasts and TV shows were hit as no dialect is permitted and only Mandarin is allowed. The famous Cantonese storyteller, Lee Dai Sor, suddently found himself out of work and so did the storytellers in other dialects. The very popular Hong Kong produced Cantonese movies were banned and people can only watch in privacy in their home the tapes/discs they rented or bought from the shops.

During the early years of Singapore's independence when English was in great commercial demand, many turned to study in English-medium schools and Mandarin gradually lost its importance and popularity even among the Chinese families. Nanyang University, which was meant to cater to students from all over Southeast Asia, was also affected as standards began to fall and enrolment dwindled. At one stage, NU even had to merge with the University of Singapore (English medium) in order to survive.

With the emergence of China as a place to do business with, the learning of Mandarin has taken on new meaning and urgency. But learning this language has often been difficult to most students from English- and dialect-speaking backgrounds, so the schools have been trying for a very long time to make the studying of Mandarin easlier by shortening the syllabus and reducing the number of words to be learnt by certain stages. Newspapers are also requested to use simplier words.

It is still an on-going process to make Mandarin fun and easy to learn in Singapore. But it will be very hard, and I think impossible, for Mandarin to supercede English in Singapore, much less in the world. :D

5. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    hehe....i was just joking!:p
    i believe most of the chinese speak putunghua. even though they are from different provinces. as for the difference. most likely the only thing we can find would be the accent. just like deng xiaoping. his putunghua was full of si chuan accent.
    meanwhile, as far as i know. the united nations is recently proposing to use simplify chinese as the "official written chinese".:eek: in terms of chinese population. no doubt, peoples in mainland china write simplify chinese mainly. but from my eyes. it isn't quite appropriate.
    my point is really simple. all simplify chinese characters are base on "traditional chinese. so, without "traditional" there won't be "simplify". that's why we should keep the original!