Singapore Laws

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by CoolMonster1, Sep 1, 2007.

1. CoolMonster1

CoolMonster1 Regular Member

Student
    I have heard that Singapore has some pretty strict laws. Just want to know what some of the people in Singapore have to say about this.

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    no chewing gum
    parking fee is charged up to every 30mins
    littering fine $5000
    3g of drug on you = death
    really strict, maybe thats how order is maintained, but no second chances given, government sure is ruthless
    living here is indeed good, but it can get kind of blant, thats why singaporeans keep saying "sian" which means "bored"

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    And this famous one: Graffiti-spanking

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    as long as the singapore government can maintain and increase their prosperousness, most singaporean won't complain about it :)

if i'm not mistaken..

- no insulting and condemming government :)

5. Singhy94

Singhy94 Regular Member

You guys really dont know ur facts for one thing it is only illegal to sell gum in singapore and they have abolished whiping n stuff
    Get ur facts right:mad:

6. Singhy94

Singhy94 Regular Member

I should know i lived in singapore for 10 years

7. Solitaire

Solitaire Regular Member

No sale of chewing gum is allowed except for therapeutic gum. But it is not an offence to chew gum.

Littering fine should be $500.

Possession of 15g of heroin, 30g of cocaine or 500g of cannabis faces death penalty.

All the above is to my limited knowledge.

8. CoolMonster1

CoolMonster1 Regular Member

Student
    Wow,
    My grandfather visited singapore and told me it was really strict but...
    WOW

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

sure you are allowed to chew gum?

10. maryanne

maryanne Regular Member

Was in Singapore several years back with some colleagues. We were at a bar and some upbeat music was played. One of my colleagues started swaying to the music. She was approached by the manager and was asked to stop doing that, as the place was only licensed for drinking and eating, and not for dancing. Are the rules implemented that literally, or was it just the manager's own interpretation?

11. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    That was totally unacceptable ! Can't dance while listening to the music of your favor ? Where is the human right ! :mad:

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

it is only when you take certain rights away that the country can be safe.
    eg with loose legislation on guns, you would see more people buying guns and thus more shootings

edit:
    but i have to agree, dancing also wrong?

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

From what i heard..

..the laws in S'pore are almost the same as in M'sia...Esp. concerning the drug possession/trafficking and violent crimes..:rolleyes::p

14. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

laws are there but how many times are they followed? in singapore at least the punishment is carried out! in malaysia its so easy to pay yourself out. "you pay peanuts you get monkeys" - a thought why singaporean ministers get paid a hefty $2m?

15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    The government are doing that for ur own good,Singaporean.
    at least u got respect from ur neighbourhood country.Malaysia for example.
    theres something lingered in my mind.
    Is that true u cant eat 'twisties' in singapore ?it sound hard to believe ..
    my friends are always debating on this.some say thats true and some objecting it.What is the truth?

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    if i'm not mistaken..

no insulting and condemming government

That is crystal clear one.Nobody can doubt it.

17. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I just want to comment on the gum issue as probably I am old enough to have live in Singapore before the ban was introduced.

In the 80s, gum was as easily available as in everywhere in the world. There has been on problem: people often spit them on the floor and before long it become one dark sticky patch on the walkway - and the government has to spent millions to clean them up every year. The last straw that lead to the ban was the introduction of the MRT (the underground subway as known in other places) in late 80s - the train doors were very sensitive for safety reason and the trains were designed that they would not move if all the doors were not closed properly.

There were many cases that people left the gum near the doors despite there were forbidden and a hefty fine was imposed. Some incidents caused the doors could not be closed properly and thus disrupted the train operations. The MRT were a major public investment and major infrastructure to tackle public transport requirement at that time, the government then decided enough was enough and quickly pass the law in forbidden the sales of gum nation wide. The rest is history - we have now one of the best efficiently run train system in the world and arguably also one of the cleanest city.

The current law still forbid the sales of gums unless it is for medical purposes. There are seperate by-laws that forbid chewing the gums in specific installation (MRT train still has this by-law). If any Singaporean managed to bring in gums from elsewhere, and as long as they were not consumed within those installations that have the by-laws, no one would stop you from chewing the gum.

Last but not least, non-Singaporean often hear jokes or some exaggerating facts about Singapore, likewise I also often being told jokes or exaggerating facts about other countries - I make it a point to check them and decide if they are true or just rubbish. Today, information are abundant on the net, it just takes you a few minutes to find out what you need to know.

By the way, for Singhy94, whiping/canning still exist in Singapore. It is a mandatory punishment, together with jail term, for a number of offences such as vandalism, **** and molest, armed robbery etc. Convicted offenders may only be spared the canning on health reason: a case came into mind that recently an old man committed molest but was spared the canning because of his old age.

18. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Im not sure whether the law has been changed for the past few years. I used to bring chewing gum over to my far relatives (it was few years ago) in Singapore. I couldnt really understand why they still allow people to bring in chewing gum, when the locals are disallow to chew gum. One thing about Singaporean is they really obey the Law, and therefore it is extremely effective when government is serious about taking action against offender. That is what make Singapore so special and recognised as a very safe country to live in. Singapore is extremely clean and people are educated and discipline.

19. x50926x

x50926x Regular Member

Student
    err, twisties as in corn snack?

Just wiki Twisties and you will get the truth. :D

Anyway, don't you think it's a bit ridiculous that we can't eat twisties?

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I dont know.U are singaporean and u know better than me.Ur government is very strict and i respect that.
    Twisties is not a 'good' meal.Thats for sure.
    if that is forbidden in Singapore, im not suprised.At all.