Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yeo Jiamin just beat Gregoria Mariska Tunjung #6 again, 21-19,21-17 in Round 2 of the BWF World Tour Super 500 Hylo Open in Saarbrücken, Germany.

Loh Kean Yew will soon be up against Toma Junior Popov, the 2020 champion..

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'pore's Yeo Jia Min, Loh Kean Yew through to Hylo Open q-finals
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Yeo Jia Min in action during the French Open in October 2021.PHOTO: COURTESY OF BADMINTON PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      NOV 5, 2021, 12:07 AM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - For the second successive week, Singapore's top female shuttler Yeo Jia Min has beaten world No. 23 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung to qualify for the quarter-finals of a high-ranked tournament.

On Thursday (Oct 4), she beat the Indonesian 21-19, 21-17 in 36 minutes at the BWF World Tour Super 500 Hylo Open in Saarbrucken, Germany, to repeat her feat at last week's Super 750 French Open.

Opting for a high-serve strategy, the Singaporean impressed with her court coverage and agility as she had answers to most shots Tunjung threw at her.

In an even first game, Yeo had led 18-14 before her opponent reeled off five points on the trot. Some fine scrambling helped her level the scores and she never looked back.

The world No. 26 then built a sizeable advantage in the second game with some well-placed and well-crafted combinations. Despite a late wobble, and Tunjung's miraculous save off Yeo's smash from a squatting position to make it 20-17, the final result was not in doubt.

The 22-year-old's side of the Hylo Open draw has now opened up considerably after Thailand's world No. 8 and top seed Ratchanok Intanon retired in her round of 16 match to leave Yeo with a last-eight clash against Belgium's world No. 38 Lianne Tan.

Yeo had breezed past Tan 21-16, 21-9 in the opening round of the French Open and a win will take her to the final four of a Super 500 event for the first time in her career.

Similarly in the men's singles, compatriot Loh Kean Yew has made it to his first Super 500 quarter-final after beating France's world No. 35 Toma Junior Popov 21-15, 11-21, 21-15 in the round of 16 of the US$320,000 (S$431,000) tournament on Thursday.

The 59-minute see-saw battle required a decider and the final turning point of the match was in favour of the Singaporean, whose lift to the back court was initially called out.

A successful challenge changed the scores from 17-15 to 18-14 as Loh prevailed and earned a first meeting with Denmark's world No. 13 Rasmus Gemke on Friday.

The world No. 39 said: "In wanting to be patient, I slowed down too much in the second game and my opponent took advantage of that.

"In the third game, I brought up the pace and was more aggressive, which helped me regain control.

"The key now is trying to find a balance between patience and aggression. I'm happy with the breakthrough to make the quarter-finals at this level, but I cannot stop here."

Loh had earlier claimed the scalp of Chinese Taipei's world No. 4 and top seed Chou Tien-chen in their first-round encounter on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, at the Hungarian International, a US$5,000 International Series event, Singapore's world No. 147 Jason Teh beat Finland's world No. 227 Iikka Heino 21-17, 21-15 in 35 minutes to make the round of 16 where he will meet Sri Lanka's world No. 337 Buwaneka Goonethilleka.

#1682 Loh, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'pore's Loh Kean Yew upsets Taiwanese world No. 4 Chou at Hylo Open
    [​IMG]
    Singaporean shuttler Loh Kean Yew beat Malaysia's All-England champion Lee Zii Jia at the French Open earlier on October 27, 2021.PHOTO COURTESY OF BADMINTON PHOTO
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      NOV 4, 2021, 2:14 AM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - National shuttler Loh Kean Yew claimed another big scalp when the world No. 39 beat Chinese Taipei's world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen 21-18, 21-13 in 37 minutes in the opening round of the BWF World Tour Super 500 Hylo Open on Wednesday (Nov 3).

The 24-year-old will play France's world No. 35 Toma Junior Popov in the round of 16 of the US$320,000 (S$431,000) tournament in Saarbrücken, Germany on Thursday.

This is the second time Loh has beaten Chou in three meetings. He lost 21-13, 18-21, 21-17 at the 2019 BWF World Championships, but avenged that defeat with a 21-16, 21-17 victory at the 2020 Badminton Asia Team Championships.

In yesterday's contest, Loh established early dominance and valiantly fought back from 10-5 down in the second game to win the match.

He said: "When I was trailing in the second set, I became more aggressive and took more initiative at the net, which helped me turn things around.

"My opponent also seemed tired as he had played quite a few tournaments in a row and also made it to the French Open final last week."

Last week, Loh had stunned Malaysia's world No. 8 and All-England champion Lee Zii Jia to reach French Open second round, where he was beaten by India's world No. 21 Lakshya Sen, whom he had defeated in the Dutch Open last month.

Loh said: "After one upset, there were high expectations on me to keep winning and beat someone I had won before. But things are not always so straightforward in sport, and I lost.

"I need to learn from this lesson and perform better because these are things I need to manage better and overcome if I want to reach a higher level."

"Although I have never played against Toma, I will be watching and analysing videos of his matches to try and give myself the best chance of making it to the quarter-finals."

Meanwhile in the women's singles, Singapore's top female player Yeo Jia Min will play Indonesia's world No. 23 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung on Thursday for a place in the last eight, after beating Chinese Taipei's world No. 39 Pai Yu-po 21-7, 21-11 on Tuesday.

At last week's French Open, Yeo defeated Tunjung in straight sets en route to the quarter-finals as she rose to world No. 26.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Taiwanese badminton star bested by Singaporean player in Hylo Open
    Chou Tien-chen's chances of victory dashed in first set

By Liam Gibson, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
    2021/11/04 14:07

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Taiwanese badminton star Chou Tien-chen (周天成) was defeated by Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew (駱建佑) on Thursday (Nov. 4).

The 2021 Hylo Open, which carries a total of US$320,000 (NT$8.9 million) in prize money, is being held in the German city of Saarbrücken. Though Chou is ranked fourth in the world and was the favorite for the open, he unexpectedly lost his first-round match, according to a CNA report.

At the opening of the first set, the two players fought hard to gain an early lead.

Midway through, Chou held a slight lead of 13-12. He soon caved to the pressure, however, as Loh won consecutive points and gained momentum.

Chou staged a valiant effort to catch up, and though he crawled his way back to trail by only one point with 18-19, he lost two points in a row and the first set.

The second set was also hotly contested, with Chou leading by five points at one stage, but eventually, Loh proved too much for him, beating the Taiwanese player by eight points.

5. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Both Loh and Yeo thru to semi today. Good outing and of course the confidence gained and ranking point earned.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Singapore's Yeo Jia Min, Loh Kean Yew into semis of Hylo Open
    [​IMG]
    Singapore Badminton Association technical director Martin Andrew told The Straits Times that a place in the top 10 is not beyond Yeo Jia Min (left) and Loh Kean Yew (right).PHOTO: BADMINTON PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      NOV 5, 2021, 10:48 PM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - National shuttlers Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min displayed tremendous mental fortitude to advance to the last four of a BWF World Tour Super 500 – the fourth-highest level on badminton’s world tour – event for the first time in their respective careers.

In the US$320,000 (S$431,000) Hylo Open men’s singles quarter-final on Friday (Nov 5), world No. 39 Loh was 20-19 down in the decider and facing matchpoint when he pulled off what he called “The Matrix” move.

He had played a backhand shot at the net too high at the middle of the court, and was at the mercy of Denmark’s world No. 13 Rasmus Gemke who pounced with a backhand smash aimed at Loh’s body.

Incredibly, the Singaporean arched his back and leaned back like what Neo did to dodge bullets in the iconic scene of the 1999 cult classic film, as the shuttlecock flew out for deuce.

Visibly rattled, Gemke made two unforced errors, firing into the net and out wide in the next two points as Loh eked a hard-earned 21-11, 19-21, 22-20 victory over 72 minutes.

On Saturday, he will face a familiar foe in India’s world No. 21 Lakshya Sen for a place in Sunday’s final at the Saarlandhalle in Saarbrucken. Loh had beaten Sen to win the Dutch Open in October, but lost to the same opponent in the round of 16 at the French Open last week.

When asked about the match-saving move, the 24-year-old quipped with a laugh: “Just like in The Matrix!

“It’s instinct and reflexes. At that moment, it felt high, so I gambled on it going out. Luckily for me it did.”

There was nothing fortunate about his overall performance as he kept his focus despite the disappointment of not being able to seal the win with the second game after leading 17-14.

In the third game, he was 16-12 down but won five points in a row, including a lung-busting 42-shot rally to take the lead.

Loh said: “I was in control of the rhythm at first, but he was more ready for my game plan in the second game and that made it harder for me to break his rhythm.

“I went for broke when I was four down in the decider, became more aggressive, and it worked. I cannot even remember what I was thinking at that point except that I was focused on getting the shuttle over in every point, except that one at 20-19.

“I’m not thinking about much else now other than to rest and recover well for the semi-final, which will be tough, so I’m mentally prepared for another gruelling game and aiming to come out on top again.”

Also looking to make the final is women’s singles world No. 26 Yeo, who recovered to beat Belgian Lianne Tan 14-21, 21-9, 21-18 in 56 minutes.

She also did it the hard way against the 38th-ranked Tan, who benefited from tight line calls during the tense 56 minute clash but eventually ran out of steam.

Yeo will face Canada’s world No. 11 Michelle Li on Saturday for a place in Sunday’s final. Li, 30, had won their previous two encounters in 2019.

Yeo said: “Discomfort in my knee affected my movement in the first game. I didn’t want to lose this way, so I picked myself back up for the second and third.

“In the decider, I focused more on the game play than the points.”

“I’m happy and grateful to reach the semi-finals here and I’ll do my best to go further.”

The 22-year-old has been in fine form to dispatch Chinese Taipei’s world No. 39 Pai Yu Po, Indonesia’s world No. 23 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung and now Tan.

Similarly, Loh has beaten three top-15 players, including Malaysia’s world No. 8 and All-England champion Lee Zii Jia and Taiwanese world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen, over the past two weeks.

He also overcame France’s world No. 35 Toma Junior Popov 21-15, 11-21, 21-15 in the round of 16 on Thursday.

As their world rankings are expected to rise, with a career best expected for Yeo who was 24th in 2019, Singapore Badminton Association technical director Martin Andrew told The Straits Times that a place in the top 10 is not beyond Yeo and Loh.

He said: “Both players have the ability to reach the top 10, but the challenge is tough and it’s such a high level. They need to be able to consistently perform match after match and have the physical robustness to do that.

“They have identified development goals, and are working hard on all areas of their games.

“Both Jia Min and Kean Yew are showing the level of performances they are capable of. Their performances at these current European tournaments have been strong, showing some real development since the Tokyo Olympics.

“They are also showing some really good match intelligence against high-level opponents which stands them in good stead as we move forward and continue building.

“They have had good discussions with the coaches since the Olympics and have a strong focus on doing well in the next two to three years and delivering high-level performances at Paris 2024.”

Meanwhile at the Hungarian International, a US$5,000 International Series event, Singapore’s world No. 147 Jason Teh’s run ended with a quarter-final defeat by India’s world No. 235 Meiraba Luwang Maisnam who won 17-21 21-18 21-18 in 84 minutes.

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

And both Yeo and Loh will appear in the final tomorrow :).
    I fancy Yeo against Busanan. Loh will be the underdog against either Srikanth or LZJ.

Baddie lover likes this.
  8. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

It's a great result for SGP. Good luck to them.

Loh and Sumanth99 like this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'pore's Yeo Jia Min, Loh Kean Yew into Hylo Open finals
    [​IMG]
    This is also the first time Yeo Jia Min is in a Super 500 final, which is the fourth-highest level on badminton's world tour.PHOTO: COURTESY OF BADMINTON PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      NOV 6, 2021, 10:02 PM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - The Republic's top shuttlers continued their relentless pursuit of a first BWF World Tour Super 500 title by reaching their respective Hylo Open finals in Germany.

On Saturday (Nov 6), world No. 26 Yeo Jia Min outlasted Canada’s third seed and world No. 11 Michelle Li 21-12, 23-25, 21-12.

She was followed by world No. 39 Loh Kean Yew, who beat Indian world No. 21 Lakshya Sen 21-18, 21-12 in their last-four clash.

On Sunday, Yeo will face Thailand’s 14th-ranked Busanan Ongbamrungphan, while Loh will meet Malaysia's world No. 8 Lee Zii Jia at the Saarlandhalle in Saarbrucken.

At stake are the respective championships, 9,200 ranking points and a US$24,000 (S$32,400) winner’s cheque.

Yeo had lost her two previous matches in straight games to 2014 Commonwealth Games women’s singles champion Li in 2019, but was a different beast in Saturday's semi-final, easily clinching the first game.

Despite failing to convert two match points and losing the second game, she remained unfazed even with a wounded knee.

Overall, she played a steadier game and was happy to extend the rallies against her 30-year-old opponent, who had few answers to her delicate drop shots and athleticism during their 59-minute clash.

In the decider, Yeo pulled clear with seven straight points to make it 9-3 and left Li in a resigned heap with a lovely cross-court drop shot later on, as she claimed her highest-ranked scalp this year.

She said: “Inexperience meant I was unable to control the mental aspect well in the second game and I wasn’t playing according to my game plan at all.

“I managed to calm down for the third game and not get too excited.

“For the final, I have to make sure I learnt from today’s match and control the mental aspect better, be composed and stick to the game plan until the end.

“Busanan is an all-rounder and a good fighter, but I’m ready to give it my all.”

Yeo Jia Min challenges third seed Michelle Li in the semifinals at the HYLO Open 2021
    The 22-year-old has been in fine form at the US$320,000 event over the past week, seeing off Chinese Taipei’s world No. 39 Pai Yu-po, Indonesia’s world No. 23 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung and Belgium’s world No. 38 Lianne Tan.

Equally impressive in the men's singles semi-final was Loh, who pulled through a tense first game in which both players took turns to go on runs before tying at 17-17.

The pivotal point came when he kept his poise despite a mid-rally slip to make it 20-18 before closing out the game.

Displaying outstanding defence and formidable smashes, the 24-year-old did not give Sen any chance of a comeback in the second game.

He said: "I was prepared to play a very long match with him, and this mindset helped me stay focused and patient when I needed to be.

"I'm happy to reach another final, but it's not finished yet."

The unseeded Loh Kean Yew and Lakshya Sen take the court to chase a spot in men’s singles final

Standing in between Loh and his first Super 500 title is All England champion Lee, whom he beat at the French Open last week for his first senior victory over his childhood rival in five attempts.

The Singaporean had also conquered Taiwanese world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen, France's world No. 35 Toma Junior Popov and Denmark's world No. 13 Rasmus Gemke this week.

But he refused to dwell on the past, and said: "Every competition and every match is different, and players perform differently.

"I'm sure both of us will go all out and fight till the very last point for the title. I'm physically and mentally ready for another grueling battle."

10. nizze

nizze Regular Member

IMO, regardless of today's finals outcome, great performance by Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hylo Open 2021: Lakshya Sen and Kidambi Srikanth suffer defeats in semi-finals
    After Lakshya went down fighting 18-21, 12-21 to Singapore's Loh Kean Yew in 45 minutes, Srikanth suffered a narrow 19-21, 20-22 loss to Malaysian second seed Lee Zii Jia in another semi-finals.

Press Trust of India November 07, 2021 09:19:38 IST
    [​IMG]
    File image of Lakshya Sen. Image: Twitter @ BAI_Media

Saarbrucken: Indian challenge ended at Hylo Open Super 500 badminton tournament after both Kidambi Srikanth and Lakshya Sen suffered straight game defeats in their respective men's singles semi-finals on Saturday.

After Lakshya, ranked 21 in the world, went down fighting 18-21, 12-21 to 39th ranked Singapore's Loh Kean Yew in 45 minutes, Srikanth suffered a narrow 19-21, 20-22 loss to Malaysian second seed Lee Zii Jia in another semi-finals.

Former champion Lakshya matched his opponent in the fast-paced rallies but lacked finishing as he suffered his second loss to Loh in three meetings this year.

Lakshya had avenged his Dutch Open final loss to Loh with a straight game win at the French Open last month.

In the semifinal clash, Loh showed better discipline and precision to return the favour to the Indian.

Srikanth too never lacked in intent but Lee was always a step ahead in the opening game. Lee had opened up a 4-0 lead in the second but the Indian soon moved to 15-10 to raise hopes of a comeback.

But an alert Lee clawed back soon into the lead and even had two match points. Srikanth drew parity but Lee averted any hiccups and sealed the contest with a cross court return.

Earlier, Lakshya and Loh played some terrific rallies with the Indian grabbing six straight points to lead 8-4 at one stage.

A few unforced errors by Lakshya, which included a long shot and a net error, helped Loh to break the run of points and he soon made it 10-9 after injecting pace in the rallies.

However, Lakshya ensured he had a slender one-point advantage at the interval.

Following the breather, Loh managed to turn the tables at 13-12. Lakshya wrested back the lead at 17-15 with four quick points.

However, Loh made his way to 20-18 and fist pumped after sending one away from his opponent's reach.

Gruelling rallies featured in the second game also but the Singaporean continued the momentum, opening up a 2-0 lead and even though Lakshya breathed down his his neck, Loh managed to enter the interval with a three-point cushion.

Loh continued to hold fort after the interval and slowly distanced himself from the Indian, displaying immaculate defence.

In the end, a return going to net from Lakshya and then a smash helped Loh to reach match points and he sealed it with another stiff cross court smash.

On Friday, Lakshya had notched up a 21-18 12-21 21-19 win over three-time junior world champion Kunlavut Vitidsarn of Thailand to reach the semifinal.

The 20-year-old, who had claimed five titles in 2019, had a decent outing at the Denmark Open and French Open with second round and quarterfinal finishes respectively.

The shuttler from Almora was forced to pull out of the event last year after his father and coach DK Sen had tested positive for COVID-19 .

Updated Date:November 07, 2021 09:19:38 IST

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S'pore's Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min in BWF Super 500 final for the first time
    S'pore's Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min in BWF Super 500 final for the first time, Latest Team Singapore News - The New Paper (straitstimes.com)
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew (left) and Yeo Jia Min are doing the Republic proud with their latest feats.PHOTOS: BADMINTON PHOTO
    Nov 07, 2021 10:38 am
    • Singapore shuttlers Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min are on course for their first BWF World Tour Super 500 title, after respectively smashing their way into the men's and women's singles final of the Hylo Open in Germany on Saturday (Nov 6).

Yeo, who is ranked world No. 26, defeated Canada’s 11th-ranked Michelle Li 21-12, 23-25, 21-12 in the semi-finals and will meet Thailand’s 14th-ranked Busanan Ongbamrungphan at the Saarlandhalle in Saarbrucken on Sunday for the championship and a US$24,000 (S$32,400) winner’s cheque.

In the men’s singles, compatriot Loh, who is ranked world No. 39, will meet Malaysia's All England champion Lee Zii Jia (world No. 8) in the final after defeating India’s 21st-ranked Lakshya Sen 21-18, 21-12 in the semis.

This is the first time both Loh, 24, and Yeo, 22, are in a Super 500 final, which is the fourth-highest level on badminton’s world tour.

Yeo had lost her two previous matches in straight games to 2014 Commonwealth Games women’s singles champion Li.

Despite failing to convert two match-points and losing the second game, Yeo remained unfazed.

[​IMG]
    TEAM SINGAPORE
    Singapore teenage paddler Zhou Jingyi wins WTT U-17 girls' title in Hungary
    Nov 07, 2021
    Related Stories
    Izaac Quek, 15, wins U-19 title in Hungary
    Loh Kean Yew continues giant-slaying act in Europe
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew defeats world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen

Overall, she played the steadier badminton and was happy to extend the rallies against her 30-year-old opponent, who had few answers to Yeo’s delicate drop shots and athleticism during their 59 minute-clash.

lodoss likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Congrats LKY for his first super 500 title. Hope he improves more and more and brings excitement to MS category.

Loh likes this.
  14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Yeo nervy yesterday? A pity but valuable experience for her.
    Loh stayed clam despite losing g1. Good for him. He has played well against LZJ lately.

Overall, an excellent performance for the duo this week.

Loh likes this.
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Singapore's Loh claims Hylo Open title after Malaysian opponent Lee retires
    1 of 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew fought back from a first-game loss and led 17-12 in the decider when Lee Zii Jia retired injured.PHOTO: BADMINTONPHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      11 HOURS AGO
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - National shuttler Loh Kean Yew has won the biggest title of his career after he beat Malaysia's world No. 8 Lee Zii Jia, who retired in the Hylo Open men's singles final on Sunday (Nov 8).

The 24-year-old Singaporean was leading 19-21, 21-13, 17-12 at the Saarlandhalle in Saarbrucken, Germany when Lee conceded the match after suffering a back injury.

This is Loh's first triumph at the Badminton World Federation World Tour Super 500 level, the fourth tier on the sport’s professional circuit. He had won the 2019 Thailand Masters, a Super 300 event, by beating Chinese legend Lin Dan.

The world No. 39 also won US$24,000 (S$32,400) in prize money and 9,200 ranking points.

Loh said: "I'm delighted to win this tournament, but I hope Lee is not too badly injured. We both wanted to win this badly and put up a fierce fight.

"This is a good milestone for my career and I will continue working hard to make sure there is more to come.

"It's good to be beating high-ranking opponents consistently and this was what I needed to develop. The next step would be to perform consistently well over a few tournaments."

Earlier in the US$320,000 tournament, Loh had upset Taiwanese world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen, France’s world No. 35 Toma Junior Popov, Denmark’s world No. 13 Rasmus Gemke and India’s 21st-ranked Lakshya Sen.

The players entered the arena to the strains of Mission Impossible's soundtrack, but Loh was having none of it despite their ranking gap as the duo - childhood rivals who grew up in Malaysia - served up an enthralling match that often had the crowd gasping in admiration.

Loh made more unforced errors in the first game which allowed All England champion Lee to take the lead as both athletes fought tooth and nail, countering fierce smashes with diving saves that left them with scraped knuckles.

However, the Singaporean upped his game, displaying brilliant defence and unleashing ferocious body smashes as Lee wilted and lost the last nine points of the second frame before calling in the doctor.

Still, the Malaysian persevered and kept the pace up to 10-10 in the decider, before Loh streaked ahead and recorded his second straight victory over Lee in two weeks following the French Open round of 32 win.

"Balance between patience and aggression was the key to winning this final," he said.

"I was too rushed in the first game but later on I settled down, tried my best to defend well while looking for opportunities to go for the kill."

Unfortunately, Loh's teammate Yeo Jia Min was unable to match his success, missing out on what would be the biggest title of her career after losing to Thailand's world No. 14 Busanan Ongbamrungphan 21-10, 21-14 in the women's singles final.

The 25-year-old Thai was the quicker and sharper player on the day as she read and countered Yeo's game well, taking just 35 minutes to win her first championship at the Super 500 level.

Nevertheless, Yeo, ranked 26th, had a good week overall to make her first Super 500 final after beating Chinese Taipei's world No. 39 Pai Yu-po, Indonesia's 23rd-ranked Gregoria Mariska Tunjung, Belgium's world No. 38 Lianne Tan and Canada's world No. 11 Michelle Li.

For her efforts, the 22-year-old Singaporean claimed a cheque for US$12,160 (S$16,400) and 7,800 ranking points that should see her break into the world's top 20 for the first time.

Yeo said: "I'm disappointed with my game in the final. I wasn’t moving well and she was quick to go on attacks and pressured me very well to get the win.

"But reaching my first Super 500 final motivates me to keep looking forward and improving.

"I’ll have one week to recover physically and improve my game to challenge the top players again in Indonesia."

National shuttler Loh Kean Yew thank Singaporeans who have been following and supporting him
    Singapore Badminton Association technical director Martin Andrew is pleased with the duo's development and progress as they complete a month of competition in Europe and return to Asia for the Nov 16-21 Indonesia Masters and Nov 23-28 Indonesia Open.

On top of being pleased with their fighting spirit and game management, he said: "Jia Min has started to adopt a more aggressive style, following up strong attacks with additional power shots and linking more pace together, while bringing in softer controlled play.

"She has performed well and started to be able to turn matches around in her favour. We will work on some areas but she is progressing well and can challenge the top women's players.

"Kean Yew has also started to show the level he is capable of. His attacking style of play is linking well with his agility. When he is able to play freely, coupled with strong tactics, he is able to attack and use his speed and defensive abilities well.

"This is probably where he has improved the most - the quality of his defence followed up by good offensive play. Kean Yew also has areas to develop like getting confident enough to maintain this style of play and delivering consistently."

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'porean Yeo Jia Min finishes 2nd in Germany
    Badminton: S'porean Yeo Jia Min finishes 2nd in Germany - Mothership.SG - News from Singapore, Asia and around the world

She beat formidable opponents to reach the finals.

Belmont Lay | [​IMG] November 08, 2021, 05:31 AM

[​IMG]
    Singaporean badminton player Yeo Jia Min, ranked world No. 26, finished second in the Hylo Open in Saarbrucken, Germany, falling to Thailand's world No. 14 Busanan Ongbamrungphan 21-10, 21-14 in the women's singles final.

The second-place finish meant that Yeo missed out on the biggest title of her career so far.

The 25-year-old Thai secured the victory in 35 minutes to win her first Badminton World Federation World Tour Super 500 title on Sunday, Nov. 7.

Despite the loss, Yeo did good in her first Super 500 final.

The 22-year-old Singaporean took home a cheque for US$12,160 (S$16,400) and 7,800 ranking points.

The points would allow her to break into the world's top 20 for the first time.

Yeo can also stand tall knowing that she faced and beat formidable opponents: Pai Yu-po (Chinese Taipei world No. 39), Gregoria Mariska Tunjung (Indonesia world No. 23), Lianne Tan (Belgium world No. 38) and Michelle Li (Canada world No. 11).

Yeo and her teammate Loh Kean Yew, 24, have completed a month of competition in Europe and will return to Asia for the Nov. 16 to 21 Indonesia Masters and Nov. 23 to 28 Indonesia Open.

https://mothership.sg/2021/11/badminton-loh-kean-yew-champion-germany/

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Up-and-coming Singapore shuttler Jaslyn Hooi wins Polish Open, aims for Paris 2024 spot
    [​IMG]
    Jaslyn Hooi was born in Penang and picked up badminton at age 10.PHOTO: BADMINTON PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      OCT 14, 2021, 6:30 PM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - While Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min have been leading the way for Singapore badminton in recent years, another potential star is being polished as Jaslyn Hooi claimed her first international title.

On Sept 26, 10 days before her 21st birthday, Hooi beat India's Samiya Imad Farooqui 21-11, 21-9 to win the Polish International final. She claimed US$500 (S$677) for winning the lower-tier International Challenge event and rose from 135th to 119th in the world rankings.

As the international sports schedule gradually re-opens, she has her sights set on playing in bigger tournaments and surging up the rankings in her bid to qualify for the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

She told The Straits Times: "I aim to be in the top 80 by the end of the year, play and do well in the bigger tournaments next year, and qualify for the next Olympics. This win helps affirm that I'm on the right track.

"I have the ability to play different styles and excel with different strategies, be it speed and power or defensive rallies. But I still can improve in terms of physical and mental endurance, and be more calm to make the right decisions during matches."

Hooi is backed by Singapore Badminton Association technical director Martin Andrew, a Briton who works with national coaches Mulyo Handoyo and Kelvin Ho to help the national players reach their full potential.

He said: "Jaslyn is an attacking style of player, utilising her power and trajectories with soft control to tactically and physically beat opponents. She has many strengths in her power and aggressive style of play. However, this style for any player often comes with a few errors, so it relies on good shot quality and belief that you can win points.

"Jaslyn's development areas, as she moves into the higher tiers of world badminton, will include improving her physicality, mentality and technical abilities to enable her to compete at a higher level whilst still maintaining her natural attacking attitude, which will enable her to play the tactical game style that she wants to play to challenge higher-ranked players."

Hooi was born in Penang and picked up badminton at age 10 because of the influence of her father and began more intensive training a year later because she enjoyed how she can manipulate the shuttlecock and her opponents in different directions.

"As I learnt more about the sport, other elements like speed and power came in, and with that came more unpredictability which made it even more interesting," she said.

Looking for an option to balance high-level badminton training and studies, the right-hander secured a Singapore Sports School scholarship when she was 13 and eventually became a Singapore citizen in 2018, when she also represented the Republic at the Youth Olympic Games in Argentina, where she finished fourth in the girls' singles.

At senior level, she had made the semi-finals at a couple of International Series and Challenge events in Iran and Malaysia before the pandemic threw global sport into disarray, although she did become a national champion in 2020 and 2021.

Without international competition, Hooi gamely juggled 8-11am training sessions with a 30-week internship as an investment analyst working straight after training until 7pm, before she graduated with a business studies diploma from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in May.

[​IMG]
    Jaslyn Hooi secured a Singapore Sports School scholarship when she was 13 and eventually became a Singapore citizen in 2018. PHOTO: BADMINTON PHOTO

She admitted: "It was tough and stressful because both aspects are of high priority to me, but I matured a lot and learnt how to work well under pressure.

"Now that I have graduated, I think I should give badminton a fair chance, and so I decided to become a full-time player to pursue my dreams.

"As travel and competitions resume, I'm grateful for the opportunities to play overseas. There is the pressure to perform, but my experiences have helped me overcome such nerves and stress and I hope to continue to improve and progress in my badminton career."

Hooi will remain in Europe to play in the Oct 13-17 Dutch Open, Oct 21-24 Czech Open and Oct 27-30 Belgian Open. On Thursday (Oct 14), she beat Slovenian Petra Polanc 21-19, 21-16 in the first round to continue her fine run.

At this week's Dutch Open, she is joined by men's singles players Loh and Jason Teh, who finished second at the Polish Open. Fellow Singaporeans who will also feature are mixed doubles pair Tan Wei Han and Terry Hee, who is also playing in the men's doubles with Loh Kean Hean.

#1697 Loh, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Loh likes this.
  19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Definitely a once a lifetime history to be remembered and cherished forever for LKY. Beating all higher ranked players. ;)

So far only LKY and RS are very credible players from this country.

Loh likes this.
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I like the way LKY is creating for himself to reach the top. He is ambitious, daring and prepared to work the extra mile to achieve his goals, whatever it takes.

All the best LKY! You can make it. Get an Olympic gold for Singapore in badminton to match Schooling's achievement in the pool. Our badminton fraternity is all behind and cheering for you.