Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    http://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/dads-winning-moment-inspires-jason
    The New Paper

Dad's winning moment inspires Jason

[​IMG]
    Jason Wong is part of the Singapore badminton squad taking part in the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast from Wednesday.TNP PHOTO: JONATHAN CHOO

Jason, youngest son of Singapore badminton great Wong Shoon Keat, unfazed by pressure ahead of Commonwealth Games debut
    [​IMG]
    Kimberly Kwek

Apr 02, 2018 06:00 am
    Memories of former national shuttler Wong Shoon Keat's illustrious career occupied his badminton shop at the old Singapore Badminton Hall in Guillemard Road.

On the right of the shop entrance was a wall lined with photos of Wong in action and together with greats from the region like China's Yang Yang and Indonesia's Liem Swie King.

There was also a television set that replayed Wong's winning moment in the 1983 SEA Games final that made him still the only Singaporean shuttler to win a men's singles gold at the biennial Games.

The shop may no longer be around but the looped video and wall of photos - pinned to a board and protected by a glass cover - inspired Wong's youngest son Jason to follow in his father's footsteps.

Jason, 20, is part of the Singapore badminton team who will be competing at the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast from Wednesday.

Last week, he told The New Paper how his father's heroics got him to pick up the racket too.

There’s definitely pressure but... I want to take things one step at a time. Jason Wong, on being in a family of successful shuttlers.

He said: "I watched that tape from his shop every day and that moment when he won that (gold) medal in the SEA Games was pure ecstasy and showed his passion for the sport.

"The wall of fame showed how much he had travelled around the world, which also got me excited because I like travelling."

Having a knack for the sport seems to be woven into the Wong family.

His mother Irene Lee, 59, is a former national champion.

Four years ago, his second brother Derek made history by being the first Singaporean to make it to the men's singles final at the Commonwealth Games. Derek went on to win a silver.

Wong's oldest brother Shawn, 32, is a badminton coach while third brother Jamie, 24, who is an engineering undergraduate at the National University of Singapore, also plays the sport.

But the youngest Wong remains unfazed by his family members' achievements ahead of his Commonwealth Games debut.

He said: "I'm very excited because it's a whole new experience. I feel very humbled because I'll be meeting professional players around the region and competing against them.

"I hope to bring back that experience and become a better player."

Coming from a family of sporting talents has not been without pressure, but Jason is in no rush to match their feats.

He said: "There's definitely pressure, but I choose not to let that get to me. I want to take things one step at a time."

His father, 61, believes that Jason has dealt with the pressure well.

Said Wong: "It's important that he learns to cope with pressure, which he is handling well. It's good because he wants to become better."

Jason sees his family as his pillar of support rather than a source of pressure.

He said: "The support from your family helps you through that daily grind."

Since joining the national team in 2014, Jason has won two SEA Games bronze medals in the men's team event.

For the Commonwealth Games, Jason, who is competing in the mixed doubles with Ong Ren-Ne, is targeting a bronze medal, but admitted that it will not be easy.

He said: "There are definitely better players who are able to challenge me. I have to be at the top of my game."

It will be his debut with Ong, 21, but he feels that they have progressed well since starting training as a pair in January

It will be the first Commonwealth Games for the majority of Singapore's youngest badminton squad - with an average age of 22.1. Danny Bawa Chrisnanta and Terry Hee are the only two shuttlers to have competed in previous editions.

The rest of the team are Loh Kean Yew, Ryan Ng, Yeo Jia Min, Crystal Wong, Tan Wei Han and Grace Chua.

2. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

where is liang xiaoyu?

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Looks like she is still recovering from her injury. Must be quite a bad one to have to take so long.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
    Results - Mixed Team Group Play Stage - Group B

https://results.gc2018.com/en/badminton/results-mixed-team-event-gpb-00010000.htm

Venue: Carrara Sports Arena 2 - Crt 2
    Date: 5 Apr 9:01

Singapore vs Jamaica (5-0)

Match 1
    Mixed Doubles

Yong Kai Terry HEE
    Jia Ying Crystal WONG
    Beat
    Dennis COKE
    Katherine WYNTER
    21-9 21-9

Match 2
    Men's Singles

Zin Rei Ryan NG
    Beat
    Samuel RICKETTS
    21-16 21-10

Match 3
    Women's Singles

Hui Zhen Grace CHUA
    Beat
    Alana BAILEY
    21-4 21-6

Match 4
    Men's Doubles

Guang Liang Jason WONG
    Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA
    Beat
    Dennis COKE
    Anthony MCNEE
    21-16 21-12

Match 5
    Women's Doubles

Ren-Ne ONG
    Jia Ying Crystal WONG
    Beat
    Alana BAILEY
    Katherine WYNTER
    21-3 21-6

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore vs Zambia (5-0)
    5 April 2018
    2nd Session

Match 1
    Mixed Doubles

Guang Liang Jason WONG [​IMG]

Ren-Ne ONG [​IMG]

Beat
    Kalombo MULENGA
    Ogar SIAMUPANGILA
    21-10 21-10

Match 2
    Men's Singles

Zin Rei Ryan NG [​IMG]

Beat
    Chongo MULENGA

21-14 21-11

Match 3
    Women's Singles

Hui Zhen Grace CHUA [​IMG]

Beat
    Everlyn SIAMUPANGILA
    21-3 21-2

Match 4
    Men's Doubles

Yong Kai Terry HEE [​IMG]
    Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA [​IMG]

Beat
    Chongo MULENGA
    Kalombo MULENGA
    21-4 21-18

Match 5
    Women's Doubles

Ren-Ne ONG [​IMG]
    Jia Ying Crystal WONG [​IMG]

Beat
    Ogar SIAMUPANGILA
    Everlyn SIAMUPANGILA
    21-7 21-9

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Date: 6 Apr 14:01
    Singapore vs Mauritius

Match 1
    Men's Doubles

Yong Kai Terry HEE
    Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA
    Beat
    Aatish LUBAH
    Christopher Jean PAUL
    21-13 21-11

Match 2
    Women's Singles

[​IMG]
    Jia Min YEO

Beat
    [​IMG]
    Kate FOO KUNE
    21-15 21-16

Match 3
    Men's Singles

[​IMG]
    Kean Yew LOH

Beat
    [​IMG]
    Georges Julien PAUL
    21-14 21-15

Match 4
    Women's Doubles

Jia Ying Crystal WONG
    Ren-Ne ONG
    Beat
    Kate FOO KUNE
    Aurelie Marie Elisa ALLET
    21-9 21-12

Match 5
    Mixed Doubles

Yong Kai Terry HEE
    Wei Han TAN
    Beat
    Aatish LUBAH
    Nicki CHAN-LAM
    21-10 21-14

#1086 Loh, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games 2018 | Singapore hammer Jamaicans in badminton action
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...8-singapore-hammer-jamaicans-badminton-action

Published:Wednesday | April 4, 2018 | 10:48 PM, Kingston

[​IMG]
    Ricardo Makyn
    Wynter

Jamaica suffered a 5-0 loss at the hands of Singapore in Group B mixed team event action at the Commonwealth Games on Wednesday night (Jamaica time).

At the Carrara Sports Hall 2, Dennis Coke and Katherine Wynter lost 2-0 (21:9, 21:9) to Terry Kai Hee Yong and Crystal Ying Wong Jai.

Samuel Ricketts went down 21:16, 21:10 in his singles contest against Ryan Rei Zing, while Alana Bailey also lost 2-0 (21:4, 21:6) in her women's singles match-up against Zhen Grace Chaua Hui.

Anthony McNee and Coke lost 21:16, 21:12 to Jason Liang Wong in their men's doubles contest, while Bailey and Wynter fell to a 21:3, 21:6 defeat to Crystal Ying Wong Jia and Re-Ren Ong in the women's equivalent.

The Jamaicans will look for a better result when they face Mauritius in their next mixed team event assignment at 4:01 a.m. on Thursday.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Mixed Team Quarterfinal 2

Well, our relative young team has made it to tomorrow's QF.
    I hope they will not squander this chance to enter the SF.

Venue: Carrara Sports Arena 2 - Crt 2

Date: 7 Apr 11:01

Singapore
    [​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]
    Australia

nizze likes this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Our young team sailed through with a decisive 3-0 win over Australia.

However our most experienced XD pair of Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han gave us a scare when they lost G2 but recovered to win the decider, 21-17, 18-21, 21-16.

Our MS and MD appear dominant, with LKY overwhelming Anthony Joe 21-8, 21-6 in MS. Terry Hee recovered well from his XD encounter to combine with Danny Chrisnanta in MD, edging over Robin Middleton and Ross Smith 21-16, 21-14.

There is still a chance for Singapore to win a team bronze medal.

Welll done Singapore!

#89 Loh, 4 minutes ago

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unfortunately, Singapore is drawn against top-seed India in the SF.

But let's see how our youngsters fare against India tomorrow. It is a time to learn and gain more experience.
    We should be happy to win at least one match. :D

11. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Result expected.

Wished our XD had done better but Terry again returned to the rescue with a surprise win in the MD with Danny.

It was a baptism of fire for Yeo Jia Min in WS in her first competition at this level. So she made many unforced errors but hopefully she'll learn from the experience.

Singapore will probably meet England for the bronze challenge. A last chance for our team to gain more exposure.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As expected we lost 1-3 to India. Our MD did us proud by winning in 3 games.
    A pity that we lost the XD.

XD
    Satwik RANKIREDDY
    Ashwini PONNAPPA
    Beat
    Yong Kai Terry HEE
    Jia Ying Crystal WONG
    21-20 21-18
    Duration:
    21 min 21 min

MS
    Srikanth KIDAMBI
    Beat
    Kean Yew LOH
    21-17 21-14
    Duration:
    19 min 18 min

MD
    Satwik RANKIREDDY
    Chirag Chandrashekhar SHETTY
    Lost
    Yong Kai Terry HEE
    Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA
    21-17 19-21 12-21
    Duration: 17 min 20 min 16 min

WS
    Saina NEHWAL
    Beat
    Jia Min YEO

21-8 21-15
    Duration: 15 min 23 min

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For the record, SGP also lost the badminton bronze medal to England.
    But Singapore fought hard to stretch the matches to 3 games. And Loh Kean Yew
    missed the chance to defeat Rajiv when he held match point first.

XD
    Yong Kai Terry HEE
    Jia Ying Crystal WONG
    Lost
    Marcus ELLIS
    Lauren SMITH
    21-16 19-21 18-21
    Duration: 17 min 20 min 24 min

MS
    Kean Yew LOH
    Lost
    Rajiv OUSEPH
    22-20 15-21 23-25
    Duration: 22 min 17 min 22 min

MD
    Terry Hee
    Danny Bawa Chrisnanta
    Lost
    Marcus Ellis
    Chris Langridge
    9-21, 21-19, 13-21.
    Duration: 16 min 26 min 23 min

#1095 Loh, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Gutsy Singapore to play for badminton mixed-team bronze after 1-3 loss to India in semis

[​IMG]
    Terry Hee Yong Kai and Crystal Wong Jia Ying of Singapore in action against their counterparts from India at the Commonwealth Games on April 8, 2018.PHOTO: REUTERS

Published
    Apr 8, 2018, 12:57 pm SGT

Lim Say Heng
    sayheng@sph.com.sg

GOLD COAST (Australia) - Singapore lost 1-3 to India in the Commonwealth Games badminton mixed team semi-finals on Sunday (April 8) at the Carrara Sports Arena.

But the score belied the gutsy performance by the team, which have an average age of 22.1 years
    An untested Singapore mixed doubles pair of Terry Hee and Crystal Wong were initially "surprised" by the smashes of opponents Satwik Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa, ranked 57th in the world, in the first match, but gave them a run for their money before going down 20-22, 18-21.

Wong, 18, told The Straits Times: "I think it was a great opportunity for me to learn a lot in this match, especially they are much more experienced and have played in higher-level competitions, they are more used to this kind of atmosphere, but I think I played quite well against them although I could be more steady and make fewer mistakes."

World No. 225 men's singles player Loh Kean Yew gave a good account of himself in the second match against India's world No. 2 Kidambi Srikanth, but lost 17-21, 14-21.

He said: "I told myself to increase my speed, because I was up against a top player and I couldn't play with my usual speed."

The Republic pulled a point back in the men's doubles when Hee and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta beat Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty 17-21, 21-19, 21-12.

Chrisnanta, 29, said: "In the first game, we were still finding our way, looking for a better strategy against them. We slowly got used to the timing and speed of our opponents, and got more confident."

But India clinched the winning point in the fourth match, when world No. 12 Saina Nehwal beat Yeo Jia Min 21-8, 21-15.

Singapore will play in the bronze-medal tie at the same venue on Monday. They will face either England or Malaysia.

Hee, 22, said: "We are the underdogs among the four teams, there is no pressure on us, we have nothing to lose and will give our best."

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games 2018: Saina Nehwal admits she 'never expected' Singapore to make India sweat for 3-1 victory
    https://www.firstpost.com/sports/co...make-india-sweat-for-3-1-victory-4422995.html

Apr 08, 2018 17:38:24 IST

Gold Coast: Saina Nehwal was at her ruthless best, but top seeds India were tested more than usual on Sunday, before entering the badminton mixed team event finals with a 3-1 win over Singapore in the Commonwealth Games semifinals.

It was sweet revenge for India, who had lost 2-3 to Singapore in the bronze medal playoff at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games. India will take on three-time champions Malaysia in the final on Monday. Malaysia blanked England 3-0 in the other semifinal. India had lost 1-3 to Malaysia in the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games.

[​IMG]
    India's Saina Nehwal with coach P Gopichand. PTI

Saina, playing her fifth match in the last four days, was in complete command as she took down Singapore's Jia Min Yeo 21-8 21-15 to steer the side through after a shock loss in men's doubles.

Despite playing with a heavily strapped right foot, Saina didn't show any signs of discomfort as she guided the Indian team to victory. "It was expected that we would play in the final. I never thought they (Singapore) would give us such stiff competition," Saina said on the resistance put up by Singapore in the doubles games. "I was actually happy that I could play the match today and make that winning point for the Indian team."

The proceedings were opened by the mixed doubles pair of Satwik Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa against Yong Kai Terry Hee and Jia Ying Crystal Wong. The Singaporeans gave Ashwini and Satwik quite a scare before going down 20-22 18-21 in a 41-minute clash.

"Had we lost, we would have been under pressure," Ashwini later said, acknowledging her rivals' strong performance. Singapore had won the team bronze in the Glasgow Games and that they were no pushovers was made clear when the men's doubles pairing of Satwik and Chirag Shetty came up against Terry Hee and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta.

The debutant youngsters were beaten 21-17 19-21 12-21, and were found wanting in court coverage. "We were a bit unfortunate. The tactics that we used didn't work out for us," said Chirag.

Luckily for them, K Srikanth had provided the team with a 2-0 cushion with his singles win over Kean Yew Loh. He too had his share of toiling to do and was locked 17-17 with Loh in the opening game before moving ahead for a 21-17 21-14 victory.

"I think it is always important to have the first set under your belt. It gives you a lot of confidence going into the second set. It is the hard job done if you win the first set," he said. "Also, to have a 1-0 lead against them (Singapore), meant that the whole team was not depending on me."

Ashwini said the Indian team was better prepared to handle Singapore's tenacity this time. "Last time, we weren't too bad as a team but we didn't really have a mixed doubles partnership. So, definitely this time around we have an all round team with all five events taken care of, that gives the entire team a lot of confidence and also makes us stronger," she explained.

Published Date: Apr 08, 2018 17:38 PM | Updated Date: Apr 08, 2018 17:38 PM

Attached Files:

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: England beat Singapore to claim badminton team bronze
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/43694182

9 Apr
    From the section Commonwealth Games

[​IMG]
    Rajiv Ouseph saved four match points as he came from a set down to put England 2-0 up against Singapore

England beat Singapore 3-0 to claim Commonwealth bronze in the badminton mixed team event.

Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith got off to a winning start, beating Hee Yong Kai Terry and Wong Jia Ying Crystal 16-21 21-19 21-18 in the mixed doubles.

European champion Rajiv Ouseph saved four match points as he edged past Loh Kean Yew 20-22 21-15 25-23 in the men's singles.

Ellis and Chris Langridge wrapped up the win in the men's doubles.

The Olympic bronze medallists secured the match with a 21-9 19-21 21-13 win over Hee and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta.

(Shuttlecock stuck in Danny's racquet during the MD)

"It's my first Commonwealth Games," said Ellis, 28. "I don't know if I'll be at another one, hopefully I will, but I don't know at this stage.

"I really didn't want to go home empty-handed. I'm really relieved."

Ouseph said: "It's always nice when everyone's got a medal, which will help us go into the individual competition with a bit more bounce.

"It was quite hard to get back up to speed without much rest but I tried to hang in as long as possible."

Chris and Gabby Adcock, the world number five pair, were rested for the match as part of the team's event rotation.

In the gold-medal match, Malaysia - who beat England 3-0 in the semi-finals - lost to India.

Malaysia had won the title at the past three Games but had to settle for silver as India triumphed 3-1.

19. Master

Master Regular Member

lodoss and Loh like this.
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Master and lodoss like this.