Shuttlecock Humidity

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by SaxoProf, Sep 3, 2023.

1. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    I’m relatively new to Badminton, but I started playing this past summer in Japan where the RH is quite high, and inside the gyms is basically a low key steam room (half joking). When I came back to the US (Los Angeles area), it seems the shuttlecocks don’t last as long. Instead of using Yonex F-80 New Official, or one step down, while occasionally AS-30 is used here, often other random brands are used, and even I’ll use Victor Specials I brought or much cheaper shuttlecocks for warmups.

I have read that humidifying can help the durability of the shuttlecocks, and products exist, but have struggled to find articles or writing about what the optimal humidity level would be. I don’t mind buying something like a Humidome, but it seems to me if overall it’s better for longer term humidity to add resilience, something like a proper Humidty % Boveda Humidipak like I might use for saxophone reeds would be better or at least as good. It would prevent excess humidity and less than $1.50 per pack, you could put them in and when one can is done put that one into another and grab one that is pre humidified. Teachers could even put the big packs in their plastics container so even the worn ones perhaps a little bit longer.

Does anyone know the ideal RH? For my reeds I keep it at 69-72% depending on the season (and sometimes if one is on sale when I go to buy them)

thank you in advance.

2. Vellawolf

Vellawolf Regular Member

That sounds too complicated. Personally and I have seen it around in clubs I play, you can just keep the shuttle(or the tube which is closed on other end) over a basic humidifier for like 30 - 60 seconds. You can also hold the tube over steam for the same 30- 60 seconds and then close the tube and let it rest. Try it out for various durations of 15 to 75 seconds for each shuttle and see which one is optimal for your location. Also be careful not too humidify the shuttle too much as that makes the shuttle very slow and oily and you lose that crispness of a new shuttle from my experience.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

SaxoProf and visor like this.
  3. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    Just checking back in on this. I appreciate the steaming advice, but again, what I’m really looking for is an accurate measure of the ideal humidity for storing (even long term, which is probably lower) or usage of Shuttlecocks. There must be a RH% that prevents feeling dull while also maintaining a level of suppleness.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    There are three things you can do for better durability:

1) Buy shuttlecocks fresh
    2) Buy a decent shuttle (cheap tubes have lower quality feather and duck feathers, an expensive tube is more cost efficient than 1,5-2 tubes of cheap shuttles)
    3) Play with people who can hit the shuttle clean, don't overdo slicing and pass it on points properly to the opposite site instead of hitting frustrated the feathers.

5. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    Thank you, I know those are things that can prematurely damage any shuttle. I’m not sure how much Fresher I can purchase them, most local shops have the same low humidity issue that I have, which still doesn’t answer if there is an actual idea humidity for Shuttles to be stored, even during the few weeks I have each tube.