Seeking advice on racket selection

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Pritam Munshi, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Pritam Munshi

Pritam Munshi New Member

I am a 25 yr old male player with 1.5 years of experience ( taught by the club players --did not attend any badminton classes).

I am currently playing with Astrox 39( string tension 23 lbs , Li Ning no.7). I somehow find it tough to play with due to its stiff shaft.

I am thinking of buying a similar racket( 4U, 83g) but of medium- flexible shaft. Was looking at Turbocharging Z Boost as an option( within my budget of INR 5000 - find the link to it below )

https://lining.studio/badminton/rackets/professional/turbo-charging/turbo-charging-z-boost

Can someone kindly guide me if it would be a good choice? If not, can you give me some alternatives?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk

2. Manu Goyal

Manu Goyal Regular Member

Think it would be better to lend some rackets from the other players in your club rather than spending lots of money on relatively a new racket. Each racket has unique feel, pros and cons. Nobody can recommend you one racket that would definitely suits your playing style and within your budget. So it's better to try out few rackets first.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. Pritam Munshi

Pritam Munshi New Member

You're totally right about that.

The thing is I have played with Astrox 39 for a year now, and I find it good to play with except the shaft stiffness.

With respect to that, I would want a medium- flex racket of the same profile (4U, 83g) - thus have boiled it down to Li Ning Turbocharging Z, Boost.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

+1 @Manu Goyal
    I would agree that the best way is to test & feel it yourself.

due to different material, weight distribution, how the manufacturer makes layer of carbon to makes a racket, & additional to abstract feeling each person had, it never easy to tell how does a racket perform in someone had describe it to others.
    Even for racket that had equal spec on paper could feel different.
    Not to forget each person had unique physical form, habit, & feel.

So, consider you dont have urgency to buy new racket (asuming your 39 are still OK), dont rush in to buy new one.
    Just play on your regular schedule & club. Borrow friend racket & test it yourself. You will find some enlightment about how different racket would feel in your own hand.

Pritam Munshi likes this.
  5. Yves-bzh-29

Yves-bzh-29 Regular Member

Have a look to the Abroz nano 9900 power at Badminton Racket Review shop India, very effective on court. AX 39 is not only mid stiff but also à very head heavy racket.

Pritam Munshi likes this.
  6. Pritam Munshi

Pritam Munshi New Member

Thanks @Yves-bzh-29 . I will look into it.

7. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Two more things I would add:

1. The Yonex Astrox racket series and Li Ning Turbo Charging racket series have different types of frames.

The frame on the Turbo Charging has worse feel but less air resistance and vice versa for the Astrox.

Since you are used to play with the Astrox there is a good chance that you will dislike how the Turbo Charging feels (I have been using LN rackets almost exclusively but could never get really used to the feel of the Turbo Charging rackets. Therefore I sold/traded my N7-2, N7-2 light and N9-2 despite liking their other specs).

I would recommend testing the racket before you buy it or ask a friend to borrow his/her racket which doesn't have a usual box frame (LN Turbo Charging or Victor Bravesword racket series for example) and see if you actually like how they feel.

2. LN rackets are more flexible in general than Yonex or Victor rackets.

I don't know how flexible either the Astrox 39 or the Turbo Charging Z-Boost are exactly, but if the LN is rated as flexible it could be too flexible for you.

While I would prefer a slightly too flexible racket over a slightly too stiff racket, this also comes down to preference.

If there is any chance to rest the racket before, that would be the best option

8. Pritam Munshi

Pritam Munshi New Member

I already got the Turbocharging Z Boost.

Yes, it does feel very different to the Astrox 39. It's a lot quicker in the air and very flexible(although only flexible as per specs).

Moreover, The Turbo Z needs way more effort to generate the same power during a smash. I bought it because I wanted to try a flexible racket of the same weight as the Astrox. The Astrox is stiff as per specs and I get way more feedback with it.

The turbo Z is easier to defend with but harder to attack with compared to the Astrox. That's all I have learnt and felt till now.