SBA Fitness Test for Pros

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Hi all yes I'm still alive. Looking at those figures, I actually think that the hardest one for your average 18-30 year old male to pass it the 400m one.

With a little training 3km below 11 m 50 isn't that hard, ditto the 100m run, that's just a little sprint training, but 400m at 17.5 sec per 100 m is actually really hard to train for.

The one I'd find the hardest is the stupid sit ups, I hate sit ups, bench press and squats is just a little weights, it really isn't that hard, and the skipping is just practising your coordination.

But then again, I can pass all the tests but I'd still be creamed by a lot of people I know wouldn't pass half of them :p actually probably even more than before since it's been a while since I've played any serious badminton.

The 50-point marks for Men:

* 3km run: Below 11m 50s
    * 400m run: Below 70s
    * 100m run: Below 13s
    * Sit-ups: 55 a min.
    * Bench Press: 70kg
    * Squats: 100kg
    * Skipping: 263 sets in 3m

2. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

actually... just read it over again... those limits that Loh has posted is for 50 points. So better to aim for higher limits to get your 420 cause getting 50 points at all station will only be worth 350 points.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you Pechur. The difficulty of each depends upon each individual. Otherwise, they'd simply set the 50 point higher or lower for that task. I'm sure they didn't pick 263 sets for skipping because it was a nice number to look at.

As for me, I consider the 400m dash and the situps to be the easiest two.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

* 3km run: Below 11m 50s
    * 400m run: Below 70s
    * 100m run: Below 13s
    * Sit-ups: 55 a min.
    * Bench Press: 70kg
    * Squats: 100kg
    * Skipping: 263 sets in 3m

Just manage to log on the net after so long.. I havent tried those test for a long time.. i will try one of these days.
    I'm not sure weather the bench press and squats is combined weight. Or how many repetitions. Anyhow a word of caution for those who want to try the bench-press and squats. This is a gradual process. You will not be able to do it in one week weight trainning. In order to do it.. i think 3 weeks to 1 1/2 months weight trainning should enable you to to those bench presses and squats.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would reccomend if you havent lifted weights before, firstly seek advice from a doctor, then build up very slowly.

I would think if no previous weight training done, then it will take 6months to reach those figures. (working hard.)

If they are combined, then I am nearly their already!!:)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I agree with James that you need to be very careful with weights especially if you are a first timer. As with most things you need to build up your progress gradually, from the easy to the harder as you go along and this takes time.

Make sure that you can manage lighter weights with ease first before adding on more pounds and slowly, but surely, you will be able to achieve your targets. I was advised that the spine or your back should be well supported whenever possible if you should involve yourself in weights training, whether it be a bench press, a leg press, etc, and don't chew more than what you can manage. :)

7. bigredlemon

Begginners are usually recommended to start off with a very very light weight and gradually increase the weight for the first few weeks so as to give your body time to strengthen the conenctive tissues and tendons.

8. bigredlemon

I'd be interested in seeing the 60point mark, since that's what you need to pass :)

9. Trickster

Trickster Regular Member

I decided to take up the challange and give this a go, so I went to the gym this morning.

* 3km run: Below 11m 50s - failed (never been good a distance running 2 mins over)
    * 400m run: Below 70s - (bit awkward to do this on a tredmill. But i run top speed on the treadmill for 70s so this shouldnt be a problem)
    * 100m run: Below 13s - (again a little awkward on a tredmill but I feel this wouldnt be a problem)
    * Sit-ups: 55 a min. - Failed (Only got 45)
    * Bench Press: 70kg - Passed with ease
    * Squats: 100kg - Passed with ease
    * Skipping: 263 sets in 3m (Didnt have a rope to try this)

I guess I'm going to have to work on my long distance running and sit ups

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Moment of truth... will be trying out the test tomorrow.. :)

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Test Results

Did some warmups and stretching. I started with the weights first since i will be using alot of energy doing those crazy bench presses and squats. Cardio like running skipping does drain alot of energy from you. So my advice is that do the weights first then run as much as you can.

* 3km run: Below 11m 50s ( does threadmill counts? ) I manage 3kms in 11mins 20sec. Run like ****.
    * 400m run: Below 70s ( DID NOT DO ) No space.

* 100m run: Below 13s ( DID NOT DO ) No space. As far as i remember my personal best in school was 14secs. Now maybe worse. I'm more of a long distance than a quick burst speed demon.

* Sit-ups: 55 a min. This one easy job for me since i do it almost everyday. PASS

* Bench Press: 70kg . With the help of a trainer just in case. Started warmup at 30Kgs at 5 reps 2 set. Trying to conserve my energy. Rested for 1min. Since i did 60kgs before. I tried on 65kgs first. Manage to do 7reps. Rested for 2 mins. Added another 5kg. I only manage to do 70kg bench press 3reps until fail , 4th rep one my trainer have to help me to put the bar into its place.

* Squats: 100kg. Same as above with help of trainer. Started 40kgs 5reps 3 sets. Rested for 1 min with stretching. Manage to do 100Kg squat for only 1 push! Usually 80kgs 6th reps. Mean only one thing... have to strenghten my leg muscle more. Consider fail.

* Skipping: 263 sets in 3m. By the time all those weights.. i fail on this one. 250 in 3mins.

Thats all. :). Btw even if you pass all.. and can't play badminton.. no point doing this :p heheheh

#51 ants, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think this is a really interesting thread.

If I had to improve on the system I'd probably scrap the skipping, it think it is more a case of skipping specific skill and fitness and wouldn't tell you a lot about the player that the three running distances wouldn't.

I would probably allow a choice betwen the 3 km run , a 2k row on a concept 2 or a bike test since some players have real difficulties with running distance due to injuries.

I would probably remove the sit up test, although core strength is important unweighted sit ups are fairly easy and anyone could get a good score with minimal practice.

I might introduce a more explosive measure, such as power cleans or vertical jump test.

I remember a few years back the England juniors introduced a fitness test of a 2 or 3 km run , all of the lighter/taller boys did well and nearly all the girls failed, without any other measures of fitness a distance run is as much a test of build / body composition as fitness.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    At a junior level all any excercise is due to body composition/genetics.

Saying that anyone can get a good score with practise is the whole point of a fitness test, whether you have trained (practised hard) to get the good score.

Vertical jump test is a genetic thing at any age too. Candra Wijaya/Tony guanwan cannot jump very high at all, whilst Sigit can jump very high, does that mean Sigit trains harder than Candra/tony? Obviously I dont know, but I doubt it.

I think the point of a fitness test is to train mentally to focus on the training and not let it slip, And improve your time/score for the next time.

14. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

also, it is an impersonal way of reducing a large number of applicants to a smaller number.

15. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Imagine the fitness test was applied to the current senior England squad. I'm guessing that several of the players would struggle.

Yes, a test does reflect body composition but when you consider the wide range of body composition found at the top level having a test which would favour good distance runners would be undesirable, since many players with the potential to make it to the top might be ruled out.

I feel the skipping test would not test cv fitness, more skill and possibly muscular endurance of the specific muscles used in skipping. That does not mean skipping would not be a useful training method, for instance you would not use swimming as a test for badminton yet in some cases a player may benefit from swimming as training.

I certainly agree that basic fitness standards are necessary and that an all round test would be useful in selecting squads at any level, if only as a tie breaker, i.e. 2 similar players for one place, who has the higher score.

The problem comes when your no.1 player fials the fitness test! :)

16. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach

* 3km run: Below 11m 50s******pass!!!!
    * 400m run: Below 70s********pass!!!!
    * 100m run: Below 13s********pass!!!
    * Sit-ups: 55 a min. *********pass!!!!
    * Bench Press: 70kg*********didnt try
    * Squats: 100kg************pass!!!!
    * Skipping: 263 sets in 3m*****fail

yey !!!!
    i dont thk most of the england squad would fail these tests no way you seen these guys train close hand every day, ther well fit ecept mayb archer!
    all the england juniors can do that as well part from one or two who cant skip proberly - like me:(

#56 FlamingJam, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Did you fail because you kept stopping after tripping up, or because too slow?IMO you can only fail if you stop, even a normal warm up pace should be two about skips a second (pass easy)

18. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    hehe i failed cos i cant skip matey:p do about 50-70 at most and then the damn rope hits my foot so u have to stop and start again which i guess is failing:p ;)
    oh well i cud probelely do the bench press as well its just i dont do skipping

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thats not a fail, only stipulation is that you have to do 263 in 3min. You could do 10 sets of 27 skips if you wanted, and make the time.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As you've put it, basic fitness standards are necessary, I think more so for pros and those who aspire to be champions. I'm sure those who set the standards for these specially selected exercises must have considered them carefully and find them not too onerous to overcome.

Remember Singapore has had two Indonesian brothers who could not beat the mark for the long distance running and had to be sent home. But they were determined to make good the second time round when given another chance and they succeeded. One of the brothers did rather well in XD at recent GP events.

So if a country has a No.1 who failed the test, he should not despair but try harder to ensure he passed the next time. He should tell himself that when the other less skilful players in the team can do it, "why can't I?" That actually is a test of the player's mental determination and how he can transform that into reality, one of the better traits of a true champion. :D