Rumor: VRC getting torn down for an Olympic event site?!

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by cappy75, Aug 1, 2004.

1. WilloW

WilloW Regular Member

Actually if you look on the VRC website plans for expansion, you would see that there will be 13 new courts all together. All the current courts will be taken down. Also you will notice that length of the hall is longer meaning there will be more space between the court and the seating/waiting area.

http://www.vrc.bc.ca/pdfs/SitePlanRevised.pdf
    http://www.vrc.bc.ca/pdfs/SitePlanDetailsRevised.pdf

I do hope that they will change from the wooden floors to the green mats. The plans also shows an extra room for the fitness/weight room, that would be a great addition. It'll probably be a couple of years before any construction takes place providing everything gets approved. In the mean time I'm sure there's going to be lots of fund raising events.

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Guys, find out what exactly this means for you.

We have a national training centre "National Badminton Academy" in Glasgow and the cash came from the lottery sports fund.

The only downfall is that you cannot get courts during the times the "Institute of Sport" use them, they have first refusal on all courts. The rest of the time the courts are rented out to the public on a first come first served basis.

If the monies are coming from the government there will probably be strings attached in a simillar veign. ie. if it is a centre for "high performance training" that means there is a specific group in mind to use it or they won't justify the expenditure.

3. Great Eagle

Great Eagle Regular Member

I hope VRC would go for the expansion, more courts, better flooring system and better ventilation.

4. durian

durian New Member

Vrc remain standing

The future olympics venue will be build around VRC. That's confirm with the Parks Boards and Olympic committee