Root out insults

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Birdwood, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

It's a different world out here in US, not just Californian thing. The incidents mentioned in Wikipedia didn't just happen in California either. In my opinion, being sensitive to others is a requirement rather than formality, and it's better be on the safe side than otherwise. If someone would call me "Chinaman" in my daily life in US, I'd be offended. That's why I felt strongly about wishing to ban the word in BC :)

2. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    having made known that the word "Chinaman" is so bad, i would not have a problem if the Mod add "Chinaman" to the forum auto-censor....and the word "Negro" too.

#62 Kamen, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Well, I come back to my request that the offensive "player" should be banned, in that case.

4. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

In my opinion, if one cannot make a point without calling someone's ethnicity then probably they don't have much of a point to begin with. I see no reason why ethnicity should matter unless the discussion directly relates to ethnic or cultural issues.

Being considerate of people means that when people say they get hurt by your actions, you notice it and take care to avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary for your wellbeing. Everyone has the right to be a jerk, just don't abuse it. kthxbye.

5. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

Political correctness is not about showing respect or dictating someone to using a language. Being politically correct means to be on the neutral side and an attempt to minimize any possible offensive cause.

6. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I didn't know our mods have this secret weapon. If I had, this thread might not be necessary :D

7. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

You're saying that it is ok in a normal conversation, unrelated to ethnicities, that a person may call a Black person a negro. And it would matter because the discussion is unrelated to ethnic or cultural issues.
    So name calling is ok, when it is unrelated to the subject at hand. I'll have to disagree on this.

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

It's true that discussions should be based on facts. When running short on facts or trying to do more damages, all the other things got factored in :eek:

9. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

Nope, I did not say that. Probably the double negatives confused you? Btw, did you read my second paragraph?

I said ethnicity is required primarily when the topic demands it and one should use the proper word to address ethnicity without alienating other people. Pretty simple and straight forward.

#69 coolhandluke, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  10. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

How far can someone go for criticizing a baddy person?

Again, this is a question, not directly to any one post. But I’d like to have some clarification because it is a contentious issue in BC discussions.

The person in focus is LYB, the most criticized one in the BC forum. I am not a fan of him, and don’t like him more than many of you would. Because he was responsible for so many walkout/walkover, we may call him unprofessional, unethical, and dishonest in that regard. Some may even call him ‘cheater’ and “liar’. But it got worse with ‘Evil’, and the worst of all: ‘pest’.

So does dehumanizing LYB make fellow baddy human beings better or worse? Is he so bad that he had to be demonized in relationship to baddy? It just blew my mind out thinking a baddy coach from a strong baddy nation could be a “pest” among us :eek::confused::mad:

11. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

My bad, I guess it was just a simple misunderstanding. But if that ^^^ was for good intentions then... yay...:D

criticism is ok because everyone is entitled to their personal opinion, but dehumanizing is crossing the line.

12. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for making an excellent point. BCers are free to criticize others, including players and coaches, such as LYB, as long as there are facts to it :(

But, dehumanizing anyone involved in baddy will cross the line as insults, and the BCer(s) doing so will have to face our mods and the rest of peace-loving BC fellows :mad:

If anyone has different views or additional suggestions, please voice your opinion :rolleyes:

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Think before we post !!!

I agree with you, Birdwood,

Suggestion: Think before we post; as suggested in kwun's thread located here.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

14. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

If I am reading this correclty you and your friends have been calling this person all these things (which go to the heart of his integrity), and yet you are writing here complaining about being callled a Chinaman? Bizarre! :eek::rolleyes::(:confused:

Your sense of proportion seems to have been damaged - you think being called a pest is worse than being called evil.

15. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
  16. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

IMHO, I think Birdwood would also have been offended if the other user said:
    "Shut up chinese person".
    The word in itself isn't insulting. It's more of the underlying connotation that a race is targeted.
    I'm asian and live in Canada. Chinaman is clearly not an insult.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

18. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Well, Captain Loopy....if, if in that particular post, there was no 'chinaman', I guess Birdwood would also has been offended...some one asking u to 'shut up' in a forum...for me, it is rude...quite hurt...I don't think is 'Chinaman' itselt, but 'shut up'...

In fact, we try to foster good relationship in the forum, but somehow...we can see sparks from here n there...and it is OUR RESPONSIBILITY to be polite, and THINK BEFORE ACT.....

I dislike LYB n LD for what they had done, but by calling them pest or evil, is really crossing the line...We have a good way of 'scolding' ppl, right????

Of course, I welcome ppl address me as CAT...not offended nor insulted...:D:D:D

19. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Since when was I promoted Captain ? :D
    You are still my favorite Cat leader.
    And Loh the Uncle Strategist.
    LuYi the Ferrari Kitten.
    And Jess... um... still working on that :p

There's an old (not so old) chinese proverb (don't even know if it's chinese):
    "Twist your fingers seven times before typing"
    (derived from the "Turn your tongue seven times before speaking")

:p:D:):p

20. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.