[Review] Adidas Wucht P8 4U

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Zoap San, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

Well......Reviewing this racket now would be somewhat pointless since it's discontinued. However, this racket is seriously super good and can be able to contend with big brands out there and it really baffled me that not a lot of people are using this racket while it's in stock. After I saw the 1st hand price then it made sense, the P8 racket is basically priced the same as yonex and lining top rackets. While all the components and 46T carbon is among super good, not a lot of people will pay for it since Adidas is not known for badminton.

**I just started playing badminton for 1 and half year so I'm a bit late for Adidas rackets.

SPECIFICATION:
    frame weight: 84g±2
    balance: 300-305mm
    shaft stiffness: Stiff
    handle size: G5
    tension: ≤32lbs/14.5kg
    S.M.A.R.T: UDi/46T/XT/HMA/CF
    String: VBS 63 at 28 lbs (because the weather is colder in Thailand, the shuttle is super duper slow so I need a thinner string to help me with some repulsion)

Initial impression
    The weight is "just right" in my hand, not too heavy and not too light. Felt a bit on a slight heavy side of 4U but not much. Just holding the balance point felt 298-300 which is perfect for all-rounder and power player. Paint job is beautiful (I got the black-gold version), even though I got it second hand. The racket still looks super cool. orange grommets at 10 and 13 o'clock looks sick. The cap got unique design as well, there is a rubber ring at parts where the shaft goes through the cap probably to reduce vibration. Bending the shaft felt stiff, Would say the stiffness is similar to TK-Fs so too stiff. Very good start

Drives
    Very decent drive capability, the shaft does help with repulsion and coupled with thin string gave off a very easy power generation on short swings. This racket struggles in fast pace drives because of the head heavy aspect of the racket but you are not expecting head heavy racket to excel at front court drives or blocks anyway so ye, not bad for a head heavy racket if you ask me. Mid court drives are easy, any shot that you got a bit of time to wind up, it's as good as anything on the market. The repulsion still not as good as free-core racket but it's close.

Netting
    the racket face is super solid, with little to no head vibration on contact and good shuttle feedback. Nothing to complain. Very good

Clear/Overhead/Backhand
    Clear and overhead is easy, the shuttle goes to where you wanted it to go. I have an easy time hitting with this racket and don't have to worry about losing control of my power since it's easy to adjust. Backhand is easy as well for me. But my friend who uses lighter racket are having tough time with this racket. Good control over shuttle on shots

Smash
    Very nice smash, Probably one of the biggest smashing racket I've tried so far. TK-F and Ryuga 2 gave big smash too but that "powerful" feeling is not there. Never say this to a lot of rackets but this racket offers 1 shot kill smashing power. The swing is smooth and satisfying smashing feeling *chef kiss*. Stick smash is good and I can get good shuttle speed out of it. But I do struggle with half smash. My half smash trajectory are higher than expected, probably because of stiff shaft, but this is not a deal breaker so I will still give this racket top 3 smashing racket I've tried. I have used ZF2 and Ryuga 1 before, but I cannot get the power smash consistently with those racket since it requires too much power.

Overall
    Super solid racket, too bad 1st hand is nearly impossible to find now and 2nd hand is super hard to find.
    If you can get your hands on it please do. You won't regret it.

Khamenman, TuukaKuuga and Budi like this.
  2. TuukaKuuga

TuukaKuuga New Member

How forgiving and taxing is the racket, compared to the others you tried?

3. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

I find P8 easier to play with than 88D pro 4U. Probably because of a more aerodynamic frame and slightly more flexible shaft.
    Sweet spots are decent and big enough so mid-court play. imo, P8 felt like 88D pro with aero frame and slightly "softer" feeling.

I play badminton 5-6 days a week and 2-3 hrs a day and never have fatigue during 1 month with this racket. Drives training are more tiring since its a head heavy so yea. In real match and tournament I didn't have any problem playing with this racket. My friend who uses hypersonic said he felt tired after 5-6 sets with P8 tho.

TuukaKuuga likes this.
  4. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I bought Ryuga 2 thanks to you Zoap San! Now, when you said you don't get the powerful feeling from Ryuga 2, I concur with you. It's hard to point my finger to it, because I know I make hard smash with it and often it's a 1-smash kill, but I just don't get the oomph feeling like from 88DP or 100ZZ.

Now you're saying P8 is easier to play than 88DP and that intrigued me, because I already find 88DP as easy to play. Is it easier than Ryuga 2? And when you said you get the "powerful" feeling from P8, is it more like solid feeling like 88DP or 100ZZ?

5. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

The "solid" feeling might be the feeling missing in Ryuga 2 you're right. Probably the free-core handle just dampens a lot of vibration from hitting.

For P8, the feeling is closer to 88D pro which is more solid than Ryuga 2 but similar playability. I liked ryuga 2 shaft action more though.
    I find P8 to be a bit lighter than 88D Pro so that's why it's easier to play with I guess.

Khamenman likes this.
  6. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Thanks Zoap San! We have an online shop here where I live that sells P8, so I might try to order 1. One question, how is the power comparison between P8 vs 88DP?

Regarding Ryuga 2, yeah, it's a pity, because while I find it is easy to use and have decent power, somehow I don't find it remarkable. Maybe lacking character is the more appropriate term.. It's hard to put my finger on why, because I LOVE the smooth feeling from Ars 100X! Nonetheless, Ryuga 2's cosmetics is just amazing! I put black string with black grip, it looks menacing! :D

7. Oliverpool

Oliverpool Regular Member

@Zoap San i got a chance to buy second hand p8 at around usd$55 (condition is 90% with some paint chips). Do you think its worth it?

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

In here, new price are 2.5M IDR or for current rate it would be 162.9 USD.
    Pricewise, its less than 40% & mentioned 90% condition then its worth it. A good quality of racket for sure. Paint chip yes but survive some few clash (mine).
    But is it worth investment for you? You judge it yourself. Its indeed demanding racket but not extremely demanding like ZF beast.

9. Oliverpool

Oliverpool Regular Member

Rp 850rb, ok gonna buy it