Relation between SOUND & POWER ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dnewguy, Nov 14, 2023.

1. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello all

Today I was playing MD with my Yonex Nextage(83 GM's, stiff, bg65 @ 26lbs).. things were going fine then I changed to the Carlton Ultralite (73 GM's, flexible, bg65 @ 24 lbs) racquet bcz I felt the grip bit slippery and my smashes weren't getting through their defence.

I got better timing, feel & sound from my lighter racquet but the opponent were still able to return those smashes with relative ease. (We were playing with Mavis 350, plastics)

I have never given much thought to the sound of a smash because it's misguiding. But I was wondering what's the relation between the sound & power if any.. ?!

And what combination will maximize the sound effect?

Would be fun to have such a setup to show off .

Thanks.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Sound is not equal to smash power/speed.
    Coz string property had different sound affect.
    Some string had high pitch some low. Some sound like metalic sound, some like .... What its called eeerrrrr.... Hope you know what i meano_O.

But, aside from eye visual factor, we also unconciously use sound to trigger & time our reaction especially on high speed fast pace games where eye hardly able to follow but just reflex. Or on double games, where we are at the front area, we know when our partner had hit the shuttle is by the sound (definitely we didnt look back all the time:cool:).

Few time i play under heavy rain (i play indoor:rolleyes:) but the roof sound are super loud that i cant even hear my partner shouting at me. I just feel ackward playing withoud sound, like i watch horror movie but mute it:eek:.

3. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Personally I fail to differentiate between the sound quality of different types of strings. But higher tensions give louder power shots in my experience.

We play almost exclusively with plastics which travel faster than feathers so whenever I get to play amongst the feather people I have to delay my swing because even though the sound of the opponents smash would be loud & crisp but there's a lag in ETA compared to the plastics :confused:.

I gauge the power of my smashes by the opponents inability to intercept it's course, with their racquet :D

I would like to know about strings which make the best/loud sound. I have mostly used Yonex strings only @ 22-26 lbs.

Thanks.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Personally, I like BG-85. I use it for the grippy control, not the sound.
    But it also makes my pathetic smash sound better than it ought to. Give it a try. :)

5. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Feathers sound more crisp than plastics, which makes the sounds between good timing and bad timing very distinct, or the difference between full power and less power. With plastics, the sound of all shots are more subdued. So if you are chasing a nice sound, better to switch shuttles rather than strings.

However, if you want a big bang, try bg80. Other thinner strings will have a higher tone sound. The higher the tension, the higher the tone.

dnewguy likes this.
  6. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hmmm... Too bad. I thought different strings in the market would give more resonance etc.
    Bg80 Power is good.. I have tried it.
    Sound with plastics is so inconsistent imo. Sometimes a smash so perfect that it surprises both the opponent and myself wouldn't make much noise. It's kinda anticlimactic:eek:

Guess timing is everything.

7. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I don't think we get bg85 anywhere here in India.
    I have tried everything from Yonex other than Aerosonic & above.