Recommend me a racket! (Intermediate)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Corns, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Corns

Corns Regular Member

Hi there everyone , here's a little info about me :
    177cm / 82kg

Playing style for doubles : Better at defensive (But i am still trying to learn smashes with proper form)

Play for at least 2 days per week (Each day for 4-5 hours)

Intermediate player but self-training to try and take part in 'Beginners category' Torny (If there is such thing in badminton or events in singapore :confused:)

So.. currently i'm using Yonex 2012 nanospeed Sigma Racket and i want to change a new racket for my playing style..

Budget:Less than 200SGD (160USD)

Brand that i'm more interested : Yonex , Li-ning , Victor (But i mean all suggestion are still welcome ! :D)

Side-Note : Can anyone tell me the Difference between BraveSword 12 (Blue) & Thruster K6000 / k9000? Or which will suit my playstyle better :) Thanks! Because i'm quite interested in these two rackets :)

Thanks for the Suggestion ^^

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I would say that your current racket is a good match to your style (such as you described it...) - no need to change. BS12 would be more in keeping than thruster rackets if you really want to change

3. Corns

Corns Regular Member

Ahh okay thanks for the recommendation ! ^^ But that racket is already old .. so its time to change a new one :D

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I second. No need to change. No racket will improve your game. Spend your money for court time and a coach. It will change your game and level.

5. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    BraveSword 12L is good racket for doubles' defensive and smashes,

6. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    To the OP: Corns,
    Based on ur playing style n current level, among the three Victor rackets, IMO BS12 will suit u the most at this point in time. It has mid-stiff to stiff shaft, n is slightly head heavy. It has a fast frame n is excellent for defense.

TK-6ooo n TK-9ooo r what we call attacking rackets which r head heavy. Utilised well, they would help in smashes n clears. Having owned both, these two r excellent rackets. The 6k has a flexible shaft while the 9k has a stiff shaft. Between the two, would say the 6k is easier to use.

7. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    [MENTION=121416]Corns[/MENTION] don't listen to these stingy pants, if you want to change racquet go ahead and buy a new racquet.
    Sport is something we do to increase enjoyment and exercise.
    Buying a new racquet should be like buying a new car, it may or may not improve your play but you feel so excited to get something new and to try something new that just might increase your interest in this sport.

8. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Anyway I'm the same height but ten kg more than you. I love my stiff and head heavy racquet z force 2 3u string at 29x31 pounds as I like to hit it hard.
    For you if you list yourself as beginner to intermediate, the bravesword is a very safe bet. I've had a bs9 and bs11 before and I've found them very easy to use and reasonably good for overall performance. And it's their 12th edition of this racquet so it must be good!!

Anyway If you like to smash and have do have a strong technique consider a head heavy and stiff racquet. If you don't have a strong stroke stick with the bravesword or the Nanoray series racquets or even arcsaber racquets.

9. leongwaipak

Accountant
    You said you want to learn to smash, don't use a stiff racquet just yet. Bravesword arcsaber and Nanoray should be easy to generate good smash. Avoid stiff and head heavy racquets until you can consistently smash well with good technique.

My first stiff racquets weren't Yonex ones. I've had a RSL x6 gold (gold is stiff) and also a head metallix 6000. Recently I've had the z speed and z force 1, 2 and LCW racquets which are very stiff but very nice to use imho

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think that playing doubles at that level will end up quickly with at broken racket and hole in OP's pocket. If he is still learning to smash he is IMO not at the level to buy an expensive racket. If he didn't realized that offense will always beat the defense he isn't on the right path for such an expensive racket. I agree that buying something new will give some confidence and enjoyment, but is this really necessary?

11. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Maybe a new string job? :)

12. leongwaipak

Accountant
    At 177cm [MENTION=121416]Corns[/MENTION] is not a baby or kid anymore. I'm guessing he would be around 20 or so right?

Sure I've seen 13 year old at my club boasting that he got a new Nanoray 900 and promptly broke it within a month of getting it. His parent's had deep pockets so do you think he was sad for long? I certainly didn't agree with him getting in the first place but he's learnt his lesson.

[MENTION=121416]Corns[/MENTION] isn't a kid anymore so we should not treat him like a kid just in case he breaks his "expensive" racquet. He's made a concious decision and I'm sure he can afford it.
    He plays 8 hours a week and that's more than me and I agree he should consider training but let's not wrap him up in cottonwool and tell him what NOT to do just in case he MIGHT break something.

I've let my 7 year old daughter use my bravesword 11 and i expect the worse but its still in one piece.
    Racquets will break no matter the skill or experience of the players. Sometimes it is a matter of luck.

13. Corns

Corns Regular Member

Thanks [MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION] , [MENTION=108967]Exert[/MENTION] , [MENTION=31549]leongwaipak[/MENTION] , [MENTION=107099]TeddyC[/MENTION] & [MENTION=119820]chienming[/MENTION] for the suggestions , especially [MENTION=31549]leongwaipak[/MENTION] ^^ and yes I'm 20 this year and of cos I know the term 'responsibility' so don't worry about it :) thanks for listing the difference between the two rackets.

The real reason why I want to change a racket is because It's more for motivation in my opinion.

I definitely know that brave sword and those other rackets will cause a big hole in my pocket , but I'm willing to afford it since I will use it often etc.

By the way , [MENTION=31549]leongwaipak[/MENTION] mentioned about 'training' , what does training in you guys view really mean? Hire an instructor ?

A big sincere thanks to those who commented !

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    160USD is in many countries alot of money. I can't understand your point. You recommend to buy an expensive racket, but play yourself with plastics. When it comes to new rackets, regardless which level you spend money like water, but when it comes to shuttles you are just a penny pincher like anybody else. Do you have multiple personalities?

15. leongwaipak

Accountant
    I've already explained my personal preferences previously and if you don't understand them, that's fine.
    I am not a narcissist that I want to talk about myself and my preferences all the time (are you really that interested in me?). This topic isn't mine and lets not detract from the question posed by the opening poster.
    I'm answering the question that the opening poster has asked in an open forum in the best interest for the opening poster unlike others who are directly rejecting his request for a recommendation and suggesting that he stick with what he has and just "get better" first without any guidance.

Anyway, Corns you can usually find places for training by checking with the tournament/league organisers. They should know groups or teams that run regular training sessions for you to join. I think I may have seen some forum topics about places for training in singapore. Have a search around in these forums.

16. Corns

Corns Regular Member

[MENTION=31549]leongwaipak[/MENTION] Okay bro Thanks a lot ! ^^ See you around in the forums :B

17. Corns

Corns Regular Member

[MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION] , @leonwaipak , [MENTION=108967]Exert[/MENTION] , [MENTION=119820]chienming[/MENTION] , [MENTION=107099]TeddyC[/MENTION] Thanks guys for the suggestions ! and yes , i turn 20 this year and i definitely know the word called 'Responsibility'. So.. the main point for me buying a new racket is basically to motivate myself and also to so called 'Up-grade' my racket.

well [MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION] , Bro i know your well intention but i really want to get a new racket ^^

18. leongwaipak

Accountant
  19. leongwaipak

Accountant
    oh look, BWF to allow sythetic shuttles from 2021 ;)

20. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Provided that your racket is in good shape and you enjoy how it plays I would suggest getting it restrung and applying a fresh grip first.

It will feel and play like a brand new racket :)

What tension do you use currently? If you don't know then it's probably low 20''s stock strings.

Adding new string at around 24-26ibs tension will do wonders for control and will also motivate you to improve technique as the string won't be as forgiving as older soft string. Plus the hitting feel and sound of new string is the best :)

A new string job and grip costs like $22 total and your racket will feel transformed. That's the way to go IMO as you racket is perfectly capable still. No need to spend over $100 on a new racket which will probably perform no better than your current racket if it was to be restrung and regripped.