Re: Camilla Martin's problem closing out a match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by marshall, Dec 31, 1969.

1. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Camilla Martin's problem closing out a match

<html>While watching a tape of the 1999 Sudirman Cup finals, I noticed Camilla Martin was ahead 7-1 in the third set of her match with Dai Yun, then after several rallies and serve swaps was ahead 9-2 but couldn't get those final 2 points to win the finals. Dai came back to tie Martin at 9-9, then later at 10-10 and won 13-11. It was a long set and Martin looked exhausted about two-thirds of the way through. Dai on the other hand was playing very consistently the whole time and scored several points on Martin's unforced errors. This scenario has lost Martin several matches before now, which makes me wonder if it's just that she's not in as good condition as some of her opponents and lacks the necessary stamina, or maybe there's some problem with her mental game that causes her to become discouraged when things stop going her way.<p>Does anyone else have any ideas about this? We all know players in our own clubs who are hard to beat but often beat themselves (no names, please). Do you think Camilla might have this kind of problem?<p>Happy Holidays,<p>Marshall
    </html>

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    <html>Hi,<p>From what i have read, Camilla is a very impatient player. I have watched a couple of games she played and my impression of her seems to match the general concensus. i see that she'd either get into a long rally and suddenly decides to 'give up' and miss an easy shot or she try to rush the shots and make a mistake.<p>i notice that when playing against a player of similar level as me, patience is a very important 'tactic'.<p>kwun<p>: While watching a tape of the 1999 Sudirman Cup finals, I noticed Camilla Martin was ahead 7-1 in the third set of her match with Dai Yun, then after several rallies and serve swaps was ahead 9-2 but couldn't get those final 2 points to win the finals. Dai came back to tie Martin at 9-9, then later at 10-10 and won 13-11. It was a long set and Martin looked exhausted about two-thirds of the way through. Dai on the other hand was playing very consistently the whole time and scored several points on Martin's unforced errors. This scenario has lost Martin several matches before now, which makes me wonder if it's just that she's not in as good condition as some of her opponents and lacks the necessary stamina, or maybe there's some problem with her mental game that causes her to become discouraged when things stop going her way.<p>: Does anyone else have any ideas about this? We all know players in our own clubs who are hard to beat but often beat themselves (no names, please). Do you think Camilla might have this kind of problem?<p>: Happy Holidays,<p>: Marshall <p>
    </html>

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    <html>She isn't a very strong smasher of the shuttle and so can;t use this shot to "create" a situation.<p>Here's one theory: Camilla plays good shots, yes. Against the European players, she would be able to gradually wear down the opponent in the rally playing consistent shots because their returns are not so accurate. However, once she becomes tired, it's harder to keep up playing accurate shots. Other European ladies can;t keep up with her so tiredness doesn;t come in as a factor.<p>However, when it's against one of the Chinese, she is likely to get accurate and consistent replies to her own shots. This will build up a lot of mental pressure (as well as being tired). She then tries to finish some rallies early and hence makes the mistake.<p>That Sudirman cup match was incredible. Did you notice Dai Yun's net play? Many times it was a good return of camilla's net shot. That put Camilla under a lot of strain because there were few free points given and she probably felt the onus to try and work the shuttle around more. And then she couldn't because of having no huff and puff left.<p>Footnote: I think Camilla was a bit lucky to win the World Championship final because the same thing was happening there. However, that's life.<p>Cheung<p><br> Hi,<p>: From what i have read, Camilla is a very impatient player. I have watched a couple of games she played and my impression of her seems to match the general concensus. i see that she'd either get into a long rally and suddenly decides to 'give up' and miss an easy shot or she try to rush the shots and make a mistake.<p>: i notice that when playing against a player of similar level as me, patience is a very important 'tactic'.<p>: kwun<p>: : While watching a tape of the 1999 Sudirman Cup finals, I noticed Camilla Martin was ahead 7-1 in the third set of her match with Dai Yun, then after several rallies and serve swaps was ahead 9-2 but couldn't get those final 2 points to win the finals. Dai came back to tie Martin at 9-9, then later at 10-10 and won 13-11. It was a long set and Martin looked exhausted about two-thirds of the way through. Dai on the other hand was playing very consistently the whole time and scored several points on Martin's unforced errors. This scenario has lost Martin several matches before now, which makes me wonder if it's just that she's not in as good condition as some of her opponents and lacks the necessary stamina, or maybe there's some problem with her mental game that causes her to become discouraged when things stop going her way.<p>: : Does anyone else have any ideas about this? We all know players in our own clubs who are hard to beat but often beat themselves (no names, please). Do you think Camilla might have this kind of problem?<p>: : Happy Holidays,<p>: : Marshall <p>
    </html>

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Guest

<html>I think 1 of Camilla's real problems is that she doesn't have really good opponents to play against in Denmark, while all the Chinese players do. That may be one reason why her performance isn't as good against them, because she is truly the top amongst European players.<p>About being impatient, I think all players want to finish off a match fast. Being unused to having her good shots which would normally be a point being returned, that might be one reason why she is often flustered and does not follow-up as well. Also, when she sees a shot that she could have done better being used against her, it is not surprising that she is frustrated; I would also be if I were her.<p>It is true that the Chinese players really have a lot of stamina in them such that they are not worn out easily, but that is why they are ranked amongst the world's top. The huge amount of training they do would only be repaid in that way.<p>However, if Camilla could be a little bit more patient with herself and forgive herself for some stupid mistakes that she sometimes makes, I think she would have a much better game overall. Sometimes I think her frustration leads her to throw away a game that she could have fought back to win just because she easily loses confidence in herself. And it's very sad because she actually has the calibre to do it. It's just like the way many of us give up after we fail a few times. <p>Also, she hasn't won a tournament for quite sometime, being mostly knocked out in the semi-finals by Dai Yun, Ye Zhaoying, Gong Zhichao etc. I think that because she is Denmark and Europe's only hope, and they all depend on her to win, this may lead to more pressure on her that may instead affect her performance and cause it to dip.<p>But no matter what happens, I think Camilla is a great player, and I admire her a lot. Go Cammy!!! :) I love you!
    </html>