Racquet confusion

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by hobnobkitkat, Sep 13, 2006.

1. hobnobkitkat

hobnobkitkat Regular Member

I haven't played any serious badminton for 23 years - which probably meant I bought my last racquet 25 years ago. I know it was a mid-high Yonex.

Now, unless I was more confused back then too, it seemed that racquets were all the same "size" (head, shaft....) - they certainly weren't labelled with "good for doubles play etc.). I simply went by what felt comfortable.

Now I look at the range of racquets and have no idea what to consider. It is exceedly unlikely that I will ever attain my previous standard, but I would like a nice racquet - and probably Yonex because that has been always my choice. I can't even look proper;y because there is probably not a Sports store in Dallas that sells anything worth looking at. I shall probably buy over the Net from the UK. I found a site and am still dazed. What are all these different head sizes, shaft length etc,?

When I used to play, I was a powerful player (for a woman) but also had a very good tactical sense so control is important too.

Any help welcome

2. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Welcome to the ever changing world of racquet technology.

Basic differences in the past 25 years (about the time I have been playing) are the exclusive use of carbon fiber (most racquets now are made largely of carbon fiber, 25 years ago aluminum heads where still common), the reduction in weight that this has brought about (you can now buy racquets weighing in at about 70 grams) and the string tension that the racquets can comfortably take (mid 20's through to 30's now), The change in head shape (ISO is the new squarer profile (gives a more forgiving string pattern which means more power for less than perfect shots)).

If I was coming back to the game after a significant lay off I would pick an ISO racquet (as your rusty technique will be punished less), avoid anything with a very stiff shaft (as again with rusty technique you will not get the best out of the racquet), I would look for a balanced racquet as you don’t want to sacrifice control or gain more power due to the construction of the racquet and I would look for a racquet that is happy to be strung too at least 24lbs (even if you don’t start there).

Then that leaves the big question of weight, the less it weighs the more it costs you should be able to get under 90grams without hurting your bank balance much, its maybe worth looking in this range if your going to buy two racquets (so you have a spare).

Now of course if your going to buy mail order you don’t really get the chance to try before you buy which is a shame, as you could end up with a racquet that technically meets your requirements but doesn’t feel right when you use it. This is sometimes down to strings or the grip (both of which can be changed fairly easily and cheaply) but if you find you want a more flexible shaft for example that’s when you get problems.

It could be a good idea to start by going to a club evening and borrowing a few racquets (most people will loan you a racquet for a few minutes) before making a hasty decision.

3. hobnobkitkat

You message is a great help - yes, my "old" racquets were aluminium. I hadn't realised that things had changed so much - though why not, I don't even recognise tennis racquets nowadays! I e-mailed some questions to a British Yonex site and will see what they suggest.

4. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    If you haven't played serious badminton for a long time, and not too sure about racquets. You should try some of the Muscle Power Series, start with the lower tier ones. Such as: MP23, MP30 or so. Muscle Power racquets are good start off racquets if you are interested to "recent" racquets.

5. hobnobkitkat

Thanks - The UK numbers don't seem to be quite the same, but I get the idea. What do you think about shaft length? The MP29 - which looks like it might be the best - has a long shaft. When I played before, all shafts were the same. How does the balance differ with longer shafts. I am 5' 6" and never felt before "Oh, if only the shaft were longer".

6. powerboy

powerboy Regular Member

Student
    i think the longer shaft is designer for increased power

7. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I believe longer shaft is only 10mm longer, and gives you slightly more angular momentum, and thus more power when you smash/clear. At least that's the theory. If you want shorter length for faster swing, just grip higher.

Balance point has bigger impact on how it feels compared to shaft length, and I'd focus on whether balance and flex is right for you or not, and longer shaft only a secondary consideration.

BTW, I use a longer shaft racket for over one year now. It's easy to switch between rackets with regular or longer shaft.

8. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    As for me, I find using a regular racquet is harder to hit the sweetspots for clearings and smashing. Long racquets provides the "extend" to have a better timing and aiming to the sweetspot, IMO.

9. hobnobkitkat

Thanks. all. Your comments help a lot.

10. morewood

morewood Regular Member

As mentioned, the "long shaft" is only 10mm (less than half an inch) longer, you can quite easily gain or loose that by where you have your fingers on the handle of your normal racquet. If your looking at UK Websites www.centralsports.co.uk are great to deal with, they currently have Yonex MP44's at £52.50 each

11. RSLCANADA

RSLCANADA Regular Member

Pres of RSL in Canada
    In LA Area, there are quite a few badminton shop you could buy by phone or net. Donot buy from oversea, the shipping cost be expensive. You can find some shops in "Where to play"--West US..... I am not sure.

12. hobnobkitkat

Thanks for the advice, but I can get the racquet from the UK hand-carried here (in 2 week's time) - and they are about 1/3 the price there.

13. hobnobkitkat

Now, why on earth did I not think of Amazon.com before!! One racquet on its way........

14. morewood

morewood Regular Member

OK what did you order?

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This is always the best way to pick a racket, regardless what the spec or reviews say.

If you have trouble to locate a local store, you can go to the local gyms, and rent/borrow from the pro shop or fellow club members. Try as many ones as possible, then narrow down to your final choice. ;)