Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sushi Bear, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Sushi Bear

Sushi Bear Regular Member

Hi,

I would like your opinion on which of the two racket would you suggest based on below criteria/experience.

Before anything else, I've been playing badminton 3 times a week (2 hours per session) for a good 2-2.5 years now. I mostly play doubles with a (80-20 ratio). Racket wise I've used the Voltric 80 then later the Astrox 99. I mostly play the mid to rear court with the occasional interception from the front whenever possible. I've also been weight training prior to starting badminton (3 years roughly) so I don't think there will be an issue when it comes to weight of the racket but I would prefer something faster than the 99. The 99 feels a bit sluggish and slow when it comes to defense but I feel satisfied with it power wise. I know that there's a trade off between power and speed so I would like something that is a bit faster/lighter with slight drop in power. Something a bit more forgiving would be appreciated as well.

The two choices are either an Astrox 88s(new color) or Li-Ning Aeronaut 9000C.
    Thank you for your time and help.

Shahram likes this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Tho it still preference but 88S is marketed for front player & its overall shorter, so it will be more manouver yet losing more power.
    What gen is your AX99? 1st gen is known for its excessive head heavy which makes it really not suitable for double. The 2nd gen carry less head weight close to 88D, so does new color 99. So 88D might be another option for your consideration.

3. Sushi Bear

I believe it is the 2nd gen as it is still usable in doubles just that as time passes, play style and preference changes as such the need for a racket that would suit that type of style.

4. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    Just keep in mind that the Aeronaut 9000C is more flexible than the 88s and 88d. I think you would go great with any of the 2 or possibly 3.

5. Sushi Bear

In terms of speed (defense), power(smash), control (net/drop). How would you rate the 3 rackets if compared side by side?

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It would be useful if you also state if 3U or 4U of your previous rackets to have a clear starting point and to imagine what is too slow.

7. Himanshu Chooramani

Himanshu Chooramani New Member

Badminton Player
    How about Duora Z Strike?

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Indeed, a Z-Strikes compact head and stiffer shaft than AX99 is more forgiving.

Father Parrot likes this.
  9. Sushi Bear

Apologies, I thought I noted the weight. The Voltric 80 is a 3U and the Astrox 99 is a 4U

ucantseeme likes this.
  10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think that the Aeronaut 9000C isn't something which will give you a feel of less sluggish and slow feeling. As long as you didn't have one of the first batch AX99 (SW 90) the swingweight of AX99 is around 85.5 according to racquetforce while the Aeronaut 9000C is at 88.5. The AX88S in 4U is at 85. Out of your fan choice if Watanabe or Kevin I would lean 100% to the AX88S in 4U, but I think you would be better of with anything else or nothing.

11. Sushi Bear

I actually sold my AX99 already so in a way i'm free to choose my next racquet. Given my preference, which racquet would you recommend (not limited to the choices of AX88s and the Aeronaut). Thank you for your suggestions

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im also a back court player, love head heavy racket, & offensive type play.
    If it were me, my list of choice might be
    Yonex AX88D/VT LDF
    Victor TK9000
    Lining TC75C/AN9000C

All in 3U coz i like the heavy feel & above all im blessed with strength to do so, but im not quite fast hand so aero frame/fast racket hardly suit me.
    Anyway, little secret on how i handle 3U head heavy for double on fast pace. I hold my racket differently depend on situation. In the back i will hold it on the grip end for maximum momentum force, but on faster pace i will hold it higher, getting close to the cone. If its pretty fast games like when im dragged to the front, my finger might touch the cone itself. The issue if you are not used to this technique, you will be miss hit alot as your racket length keep changing.

13. Sushi Bear

Thank you for the tip on changing hand placement, while it is something that i do unconsciously when defending using backhand. Never thought about it when defending on the front, will definitely try it once things ease up in my area due to the virus.

As far as racket suggestions go, as mentioned in my previous post, i go to the front and intercept quite a bit, so a more all rounder type racket is a better choice for me. Out of the list which is more forgiving and more for all rounders?

14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

well... You need to do it unconciously or else it will be taking your focus alot when shifting your hand. Actually it become part of my habbit & im doing it naturally without my brain saying shift up or down.

once i tried my friend 88D 4U, its good & quite manouverable tho still my mind keep saying if its 3U then it would be perfect. But keep in mind that its me. Im not you & you not me. What i feel might be different from you & our physical characteristic might also different.

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think @Sushi Bear you should try Astrox 77 or Astrox 88S in 4U if you want to stick with Yonex. If Li-Ning look for TC70B or TC70I.

16. Shahram

Shahram New Member

Thanks a lot

17. Sushi Bear

Thank you for all your suggestion, decided to go for the Astrox 88s 4U for my next racket and will see how it goes from there.

ucantseeme likes this.