Racket "feels" different and a lot of "mishits feel" or "vibrations" after heavy usage for 2 years

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ojayz, Jul 17, 2023.

1. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Hello BC forums,

I wonder if anyone ever experienced having a racket that "feels" different and a lot of mishits (from usually easy shots) after heavily/very often use the racket for 2 years?

I've been using one of my yy carbonex for 2 years, in total at least experiencing more than 100 hours of exact match (doubles). The racket has been restring for 4 times, and one day I played with it and I felt that the "feel" when the shuttle hits the string is already strange (a lot of vibrations,,, similar to a feeling when I mishit), and it occurs even when I just do a basic stroke like high-lifting the shuttle from the net or high clear.

I don't know, perhaps the carbon material inside the frame already deformed? And I did not see any cracks in the racket (of course there is some paint chips here and there), and it can still hold 27 lbs with yy bg66.

Any folks ever experience the same? I tried to search this kind of thread in bc forum but I haven't found it.

Thanks and Happy Badminton!
    :)

2. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Maybe try restringing the racket? You've restrung it 4 times during the last 2 years and after 100 hours of playing. That's not exactly a lot. The strings might have worn out. Try restringing it the same tension and the same strings you usually play with and see if it's actually the racket that's causing problems. In my experience, the feelings depend much more on the strings than you think.

3. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Thanks for the reply DinB.

Yes I actually have changed the string once, same yy bg66 27 lbs (same stringer as well), but it has no effect. Many "mishit feel" or "vibrations" are still there. Regarding the hours of play time, maybe it's a bit arbitrary/just estimation, can even be more than that because it's my main racket for 2 years, sometimes switching in between (I play twice a week). So that's why I thought maybe the graphite material inside the frame has deteriorated a bit,,, but I don't know.

I have two other carbonex rackets also have been restrung to 3-4 times (exactly the same type carbonex racket, same batch production as well), and the "feel" is still nice. But these two rackets have been used not as much as the first one I mentioned previously.

Do you have any experience the "mishit feel" or "vibrations" using a racket that is often used for a very long time?

#3 ojayz, Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student

Sorry to hear that bro.
    Hope you can find back up soon enough, same Model, same Spec, all the details.

I can't say much, never heard nor encounter such case before.

I would like to suggest you, when it is the time to do restring for all of them, try cut the string and do an inspection at the racket without the string.
    Look at the grommets and also if you able, measure the weight & BP of all 4 rackets.
    And during that time, do couple of swings, and see whether they swing differently among those 4 ( just racket with no string )

I would like to suggest you to restring 4 of them together at the same time, by the same stringer.
    Please ask the stringer to inspect grommets , perhaps there is a broken grommets.
    If you able to, might ask the stringer to open a string box ( If I am not mistaken, 1 String box contain 10 Packs ) , so we know the string is from the same batch and under same condition.
    After stringing, just hit the court and try 4 of them interchangeably.

Hope it is resolved.

ojayz likes this.
  5. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    thanks Bro Licin,,, no worries because I think I still have plenty of backups of the same carbonex rackets (I think you know which one it is hahaha)
    :D

Yes I think I have inspected the whole things like grommets (and changing the grommets too because it is due), BP, the same stringers, etc.

But yes maybe I can double check some of more details later...

6. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yes I know that "Samurai" of yours :D:D

Anyway, it is an issue which i never encounter before.

Yes, I also thought that You had tried and checked every possible means to find what the culprit is before posting here in BC. Hope you can solve it :)

ojayz likes this.
  7. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    thanks Bro Licin,

no worries,,, it is quite likely that perhaps the "micro-composite carbon" or something like that that may deform a bit,,, thus giving a "bad feeling" after the majority of my stroke... I have tried many different possibilities for solution: changing strings, grommets, rackets, etc.
    I asked around my mates at the badminton community, that they have experience using very old racket in a very often and intensive session, and he told me the feeling will be different or getting worse after heavy usage after several years.

It's a bit strange tho (still kinda a curiosity for me) because if the composite has deformed by "a bit", it would break after stringing with 27 lbs yy bg66,,, but the racket can still hold the tension nicely.

But anywaaay,,, I already volunteered/giving away the racket to the badminton community in my office, esp. to some fellow colleagues who needs to borrow racket. No biggie since I have plenty of backups yet,,,
    and now I have come to conclusion that the age of my racket for my intensive usage would be around 2 years. So better be prepared one day if all of my favourite rackets are already being used intensely and later performed badly or deformed.

Happy Badminton!

#7 ojayz, Jul 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  8. PsychoAssasin

PsychoAssasin Regular Member

Maybe not relevant to you, but have you tried replacing the grip/overgrip?
    I find putting on a fresh overgrip makes a huge difference in feel for shots compared to strings or anything else.
    I've had friends complain they need a new racket, saying its old and crappy now, and I find theyre still using the original grip and its dry/hard and falling apart. Just putting on a new grip made it play like new again.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Which carbonex is this?

10. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Yes I have put a new towel grip, a favourite of mine yonex ac402ex, with the original grip removed… still the hard and weird vibration occured.

11. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    in my case? It’s my carbonex 20 tour special.
    Have you ever experience the hard/bad/weird vibration in your old carbonex 20 as well @Cheung ? Especially the one that you often use for years and years perhaps?

#11 ojayz, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One of them started clicking at the cone because the glue came loose. Otherwise all are fine and most of mine are pretty beat up.

The Carbonex 20 tour special I think was a second generation of the 20 tour. Was it cheaper than the original when you bought it?

ojayz likes this.
  13. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    yes about the clicking sound that occurs to some of my cabs as well, but it’s not a big deal for me because that does not affect its performance… the problem I have with the one racket that vibrates badly even with a simple flick/lift/clear shots, quite strange…

Well the cab20 tour special is a “cheap version” of the 20 tour… i think for comparison is like a version of the 20 or 21, where there is a version of 20 special and 21 special… so I believe there was a period of time when yonex sold the 20 tour and the special version.

The price 20 tour is approximately 2x the price of the special as of now in Indonesia (but I think there is no online seller sell the 20 tour anymore in Indonesia,,, I was very lucky to obtained some of them last year).
    I’m not sure if it’s more or less expensive compared to the original sold like 20 years ago, but I bought the 20 tour for 1.5 million idr vs 750K idr for the special last year,,, for me it’s a fair price.

i’ve tried the 20 tour and it’s stiffer and head heavier than the 20 tour special (295 vs 285 mm), also a bit harder for me to use,,, thus the 20 tour special suits me better with my amateur skill, (hence I bought tons of them)

Maybe someday I’ll be able to see and try some of your many many many cab20 collections of yours Cheung

#13 ojayz, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023