racket deformed - defect or stringing issue?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by maxbit, Jul 9, 2023.

1. maxbit

maxbit New Member

I picked up a new Astrox 77 Pro today and once I got home, I noticed the racket seemed narrower than I expected. I later compared with a friend's Astrox 77 Pro and mine was indeed narrower. I've used a few rackets and had dozens of stringing jobs and this is the first time that a racket was noticeably narrower after stringing. The tension was 25lbs with aerobite, so not even that high.

Is this a defective racket, or just a bad stringing job? If a bad stringing job, does it ruin the racket or would the racket go back to its proper shape after releasing the tension and restringing? Thanks!

vs another astrox 77 pro, my racket at the bottom (clearly my racket is narrower by almost half a centimeter):

[​IMG]

vs another astrox 77 pro, my racket on top this time (can clearly see my racket is taller)

[​IMG]

vs an old arcsaber 10:

[​IMG]

2. makemymind

makemymind Regular Member

Sometimes is just happening. Dont worry. When u cut the strings or they will broke, shape will be original again

3. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

It's pretty badly deformed yeah. You can cut right away to be safe or just play until it breaks

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

To answer your initial question - this is purely stringing related. A carbon fibre based racket doesn't permanently deform. It either breaks or gets back to its initial shape.

You might consider going to a different stringer next time or at least tell him.

DarthHowie and thyrif like this.
  5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If the stringer are nearby, might want to try to take it there & makes a claim. Hope you get new string for free.
    He probably might say its ok, no worry. But better ask him for warranty if your racket ever broke.
    But free or not, check his next works. If its still bad works, blacklist him as your stringer.

6. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

It’s the stringing technique. Is the shop stringer reliable or not ?

7. Nyamsus

Nyamsus New Member

I suppose it is because the stringer tighten the clamp too strong. I know one stringer in my area who always do this, every racket that come out of that shop became "compressed" just like in the pics.
    I don't know if it will compromised the frame, but i think you should look for another stringer just to be safe.

8. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I agree that this is stringer related.
    @maxbit - From your photos, you're comparing 2 strung Astrox 77 pros, but it appears that the narrower one is strung with Aerobites while the "normal" looking one is strung with a non-Aerobite. If the strings are completely different then this will also play a factor to how the racket is strung. Your stringer should be aware that different material and gauge of a string will effect how much stretch and tension adjustment may be needed when stringing the crosses. This is especially an important detail that needs to be considered for any "hybrid" stringing.

If you do decide to switch stringers, it would be appreciative to give him this feedback so that he learns from it and doesn't make the same mistake on other peoples rackets going forward.

A stringer has to start somewhere and we always strive to improve our techniques. We'll never be perfect, but a customer's feedback is very important.

If the stringer doesn't really care about their work then definitely run away!

9. SIM YUN KIAT

SIM YUN KIAT Regular Member

Happens when stringer mount the racket and over tightened 12 and 6 oclock mount. Suggest to return and feedback to the stringer

DarthHowie likes this.
  10. awesomista

awesomista Regular Member

It's the stringer fault, always....

11. luminine

luminine New Member

If you're in Toronto and need a new stringer there's bunch of great stringers in Markham, some will do express stringing for 5 extra bucks.
    JZONE is where I get mine strung (The main stringer is on the Canadian Yonex stringing team). Also JJ Sports on Steeles in good too.

I think there's a shop called ATR Sports that's closest to downtown - borderline Etobicoke.

If you're getting your racket strung at Sportchek, don't - they're not trained for badminton stringing, they've broken my rackets before.