Racket clashes

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kaydee, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

Can I ask members here if their rackets look pristine or got paint chips/scratches here and there?

My racket of not even 2 weeks was involved in a rather hard clash that has left a nail sized paint chip. I know racket clashes are a common part of badminton, but having never had a clash that hard, the whole experience has left me just annoyed at my partner slightly and also seeing the racket in not such a positive light anymore.

Not looking to direct fault at the partner, but this is more a sounding board than anything.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have bought quite a few second hand racquets with marks on them. Mainly cosmetic marks.

If there’s a clash with a secondhand racquet, I am less annoyed.

I don’t see the racquet as being any different. I had to train myself to be like that though. When I started having three racquets of the same model strung with the same strings and tension, and gripped exactly the same way, I deliberately never favoured one racquet over another. They all played pretty much the same.

#2 Cheung, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  3. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

I got to fully inspect the racket some more and saw that there wasn't any crack. Even in during gameplay I didn't feel anything was off. I think I was just more annoyed that this happened this soon.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Little clash, alot.
    But hard clash, never.

I had good awareness for my surounding i guest:p & whenever i play i always put my expectation.
    Does my partner is a blind beast, or abit agresive, or well awared himself.
    When playing with 1st 2 or unknown stranger, i would holding myself whenever there is middle attack or in situation im on the front & feel/hear/see a glimps of my partner.

But i usually feel insecure when i had fresh string. I guest i had abit of trauma snaping my new string in my early 1st games. :confused:

Bieffe likes this.
  5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I have over 10 racquets and each one has had a collision at some point.

My latest racquet. Nanoflare 1000z, it had a particularly bad clash a few weeks ago and when I looked at it a few days later it appears to have a crack on part of it (outside of the frame, around 10 o clock only showing on the outer edge going half way into the grommit hole.

First time i've had a crack from a clash using yonex racquets for over 10 years. Hopefully it survives the restringing process as I also broke the string on Monday ^^.

6. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    I think it will be the rare player and racket that does did not have had any racket clashes and the rackets sustaining the chips and nicks etc. Probably the only exception will be those rackets that have been bought new solely for their collections. I’ve a vintage racket collection so they would have one time or another sustained some cosmetic damage in their lifetime of use by the previous owners or even by my me! I use the rackets in my collection except for the really rare and old (ie. wooden) ones.

7. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    There is always a 1st time and it hurts. So when it happens, there nothing we can do about but to smile and play on, accept the apology of our partner and then go home to cry for afew days.

How to minimise clashing? Know ur partner, somebody new or crazy...then I will always use my thrash racket until I know my partner well. No point go all out when it's not a competition. Stay competitive but no need to be a mad man. Can forgive 1 or 2pts.

Once you have a clash is a possible weak point and now days with manufacturers pushing the boundaries, frame failure will happen with clashes.

Anyway I've seen ppl throwing their brand new high end racket onto the ground after a game when at the rest point. Maybe their rich...so to such ppl they don't care....these are also likely the racket clasher....watch out for them.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

8. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

The thing that really pissed me off was the fact this whole thing could've been avoided. I don't mind if it was a shot in between us and we just both happened to go for it, but this was the case where I was the back player and the birdie was coming my way when my partner decided to play the shot out of position and smacked my racket in the process....no apologies afterwards. smh

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Some people are just a blind beast, know your partner & anticipate. At least its your racket & his, my experience is i broke my partner racket with my face as he swing his racket right into my face:eek:
    This one good expectation.

Bieffe likes this.
  10. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

Yeah, i'm pretty ok now. i've played with the racket a couple of times already and it still feels great, so I think I missed the worst part of it. In fact, I tend to play freely now since the racket is no longer "pristine."

Bieffe likes this.
  11. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    This is the worst type of players to meet. Clashing is inevitable at times, but according to what u have mentioned the guy is an A.
    I will usually avoid such players. No players ethics. Even a pretend sorry is better than nothing.

12. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Get into the habbit of shouting simple commands when playing doubles.

"MINE"
    "YOURS"
    "OUT"
    "YES"
    "NO"
    "Kill"

Stuff like that. If they don't hear you or still commit to doing something, then you know for future.

13. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes impt. Provided ur partner is of the same level. Some players don't like to be given instructions. But definitely these commands helps.

14. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

I thought I have had my share of broken racquets due to clashes when it happened again few days back.
    I was also at fault for over reaching.

In my case I have noticed that it has happened whenever I'm in front court & try to take the shuttle that's passing overhead either BH/FH.
    Here, the back court player will make a powerful downward swing (disregarding my presence OBVIOUSLY) ending the point & my racquet at the same time.
    Any other position, I'm fully aware of my partner's movements and keep my racquet out of harms way.
    When I was young and poor, I used to get super annoyed. But now I'm glad that it was the racquet and not my hand/face.:)

Bieffe likes this.