protech shuttlecock..

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by george@chongwei, Feb 21, 2008.

1. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

er... Yonex maybe?

2. Deric Chang

Deric Chang Regular Member

Sampled the Yonex AS30 last week... tried one shuttle (borrowed from someone) and it lasted us 3 games... and mind u, the fellas i play with are nuts (hard smashers). The bird received some pounding and by the end of the 3rd game, it had lost quite a few feathers (about 4) but the flight was still good!!!

Compared that with the Protech Masterpiece of late, a few hard smashes and the bloody thing goes out of shape!!!

Already out looking for alternative b4 this. Today I went to AJ to buy the AS30 and was told the price is RM67. WOW.... expensive.

Then I saw this nicely packed thingy... the Protech Platinum.... Bought at RM60. Heard somewhere in the forum that it is not bad. Anyone here recommends this? Anyhow, gonna put the AS30 and this platinum thingy to the test this Thursday. Will let you guys know the outcome.

The RSL Tourney is lasting but, damn slow.. zzzzzzz. Can actually see the shuttle flight miles ahead b4 reaching... worst still, because we were used to speed of the masterpiece of old, we were standing way too far back only to swing wildly at nothing..... hehehe, because the bloody shuttle still belum sampai, and land way way way.... in front of us. Look damn stupid!!!:D

3. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

let us do some maths here...
    AS30 - about rm5.6 per shuttle but can last for 3 games. 1 tube = 36 games
    Others (Protech Masterpiece, RSL Classic and etc) - about rm4.2 per shuttle but can only last for 1.5 games. 1 tube = 18 games

so, my personal assumption was...
    - go for yonex even it's more expensive but it lasts longer for you to play more games
    - in long term, it will eventually save more of your money as you are using less shuttle

4. Deric Chang

and yah... about the rsl tourney, after 2 sets or more, the shuttle usually still look good, but flight gets even slower bcos the feather open up more. Feathers still intact!!!.... then u get this internal conflict where part of u say, 'still LOOK nice wat, can play' but another part of you would say, 'damn, change la....damn slow' .......susah laa to use this brand...my 2 cents..

Even more funny, u see some of ur buddies trying all sorts of trick just so they prolong the use of the shuttle, like stroking down the feather, some even squeeze the feathers together so to get a more aerodynamic shape... aiyo, kelakar laa...

5. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    or same like RCL no1, the shuttle very slow. I just want to try the RSL tourney, but after read MR DEric chang review, make me think it twice, because I also hate slow shuttle

6. muslayer

muslayer Regular Member

Computer Technical

Aiyo...what u expect from RM 49/= shuttle? 1 bird for 1 games = very save already.

If can last more than 1 game = bonus liao

Dun Compare RM 67 YoneX AS30 and RSL Tourney Classic RM 49 /= , RSL already good at it Price range class of shuttle.

7. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    I dont compare yonex with rsl or rcl. My point is, I dont really like play with slow shuttle, even it is durable. In my experience there are many shuttle in same price range that are not to slow as rcl no1 that I use before. RSL tourney, I dont know la, because never try it, but mr chang said it is slow. If I found it, I'll try it anywhere

8. tommy

tommy Regular Member

clerk
    You can choose faster speed

You can choose faster speed. Most models in the market have speed 76 and 77. You can choose for speed 77 if speed 76 is too slow for you.

9. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    I know that.:D I never bought 76 speed. But some brand even the speed is 77 it is still slow.

10. Deric Chang

Yonex AS30 vs Protech Platinum vs RSL Tourney

Last nite, my group went thru the 3 shuttles above. Basically we had used the Yonex AS30( RM67) and RSL Tourney( RM50) b4. So yesterday, we wanted to compare them all at one go along with the nicely packed protech platinum (RM60).

We first tried the Platinum. Flight was excellent at first. However after a few exchange, the feathers were still very much intact but flight was significantly slower. As we reach the end of the game, it was obvious that all 4 of us wanted to change the shuttle even though the shuttle was still intact. Feathers were ruffled though and no amount of stroking can get them in place. So we changed which means it did not last a game. Second Platinum shuttle, same thing.... didn't really last a full game. ( However, to those who are less picky and dun mind the slow flight, still can use laaa)

Next came the AS30. I borrowed this bird from my Monday group. Last week, my Monday group tried one and it lasted 3 sets. Last night however, the shuttle lasted 2 1/2 games. (Again, I have to say that this group may be a bit fussy about flight than my Monday group.) But we are all in agreement that we enjoyed our game very much with AS30. All feathers were still intact when we changed the shuttle.

The RSL tourney came last. We were surprised by the flight consistency and durability of the shuttle this time. The shuttle consistently lasted above 1 1/2 games. The flight was not as slow as last week. In fact it was comparable to the AS30 in flight consistency.

We had 3 Protech Masterpiece shuttle left, so we tot lets use them up. Really sucked. Afte a few hits, the flight was wobbly, rocket like and went out of shape. All 3 of them.

Our Conclusion:
    1) The AS30 is definitely fun to play with but for the price. However if you have group of decent players who hit the bird cleanly (minimal frame hits), this shuttle is worth yor while as it can last you 2 1/2 games and upwards which means a dozen would last u 30 games minimum. Which would cost you RM2.23 per game.

2) The Protech Platinum is not worth its RM60 per dozen price tag. Without the flight consistency and durability, you are only paying for the 'canggih' packing. My advice to the protech suppliers is to go back to basics and provide the best shuttle to your customers and forget about all the marketing gimmick. All the write up about how the feathers were chosen to make the platinum shuttles doesn't mean a thing if the feather does not perform to wat u claim it will do. Not worth buying as 1 dozen would probably give you at most 10 games. Terrible value for money at RM6 per game.

3) The RSL Tourney was truly a surprise especially after last weeks' experience. The flight was crisps, the feel excellent and as we found out, quite durable. A dozen would last u 18 games, at RM2.78 per game.

However, I would like to remind you that the above is just the findings based on what my group experienced last night. So be warned.

Cheers,
    Deric

11. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    Yes, sometime we buy this tube is ok, buy another one, tak ok, buy again another one ok balik, not consistent la :D hehe

12. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

is that RCL Classis same as RSL classis ?? i would like to know some price and speed for several brand for RCL...

RCL High Range = how much? nice speed?
    RCL Classic = How much? nice speed?
    RCL Super = how much?

thx for ur feedback...

13. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

RCL High Range = 50. not durable and speed will reduce a bit after 2 games
    RSL Classic = 49-50. durable. speed is quite ok
    RCL Super = never used this b4

14. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

how about compared RCL and RSL Classic ?? i will try out the RSL Classic after i finish my 2 Dozen RCL super...

RCL super is not really durable for hard smash...around 15 smash may cause the ball dead =.="

15. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

For me, RSL is much more better than RCL... period...
    But it's hard to get RSL Classic as it's quite in hot demand out there...
    always out of stock...

16. Deric Chang

RSL definitely better than RCL.... RCL gives me a very "light weight" feel and flights slows down considerably after a few points.

Finished the rest of the Protech Platinum last Thursday. Complete waste of time. NO PROTECH CRAP EVER!!!!!

17. CalvinSeak

CalvinSeak Regular Member

why are you guys talking about rcl and rsl in a protech thread?

18. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    It just happens that they are on the topic, so why not just discuss it a little.

19. tommy

tommy Regular Member

clerk
    Different Grades

If I am not mistaken, RSL Classic is the 1st grade of RSL Shuttlecocks, I think RCL Super is in the 3rd or 4th grade of all the RCL shuttlecocks. So if you have to compare, better compare those shuttlecocks with similar grade (judging from the price).

20. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

:( AJ at Bdr Puteri Puchong is selling RSL Classic for MYR52 now instead of MYR50...
    Inflation... inflation...
    Plenty of stocks available now...