Prestretch above 10%

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by dbswansea, Oct 18, 2016.

1. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Anyone tried it? The Wise goes up to 25%

Just wondering if anyone had experimented.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    IIRC Vittinghus wanted 29lbs prestretched to 36 or something crazy, so it must do something?

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    FME the strings tend to feel stiffer, dead and less repulsive if you go into a tension area where you give the strings even the beans without PS and go that high. Just did it once at 20% with BG80@30x31 and IMO the job was a waste. You have the plank of wood feel for long time, but sacrifice anything else like feel and repulsion. It changed the characteristics of the string pretty drastic that you can't tell which string, but you know it's rubbish.

My intention was to clock up the PS to get 1-2 weeks extra with the string but I realised to stay with my regular 2 weeks restring routine. The tension loss was reduced but with a fresh dead and dull string to start was annoying.

4. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I usually do 20% prestretch on my rackets because I find the tension doesnt loosen up as fast.

Personally, I really like the "Hard as a Board" feeling to my strings. I feel the control is much more solid.

I used to do 10%, but my customers told me it loosened up on them way too fast.

5. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

It snaps way faster and it does have the "dead" board feeling. For players who don't have proper technique, they can't generate power because the strings are not as elastic.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    What if you string lower to balance out using higher PS? Rule of thumb for no PS was "just string 1lb higher" I thought. I don't see much tension loss at my humble 25lb but I do find PS livens up zymax fire for example. I've not been tempted to try more ps yet though.

7. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

You will still lose elasticity because you are over stretching the fibres of the strings first before settling.