Please suggest a better racket for smash loving beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by anirban, Mar 25, 2009.

1. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i noticed that you already got this NS500.
    how is your new racket? perform as you prefer to?

2. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Yes Sir, I've got that Nano Speed 500. I played 5 continuous game with it yesterday. It is more comfortable than MP10 Light, Power is enough good and Control is far better than MP10. My NS500 is about 5-7mm longer than that MP10 Light. It is the new version of NS500 with colour Orange+Black, I have attached the picture of the racket here. The racket is 3U & G4. Shaft has medium Flex. One thing I have noticed that YONEX has written the specification "Head Light Balance" on the shaft but I personally have felt that racket has a little head-heavy feeling. I don't know that did I feel wrong or right. Anyway's I am feeling good with my new racket during playing game and I am using that MP10 during practice and keeping it as a back up racket. :)

If you have any suggestion then plz let me know.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    My MP10 Light is strung with BG65 with a tension 23lb. But my new NS500 2nd gen is prestrung with its default YONEX string with its default tension (I don't know the exact figure, may be around 20lb, 'coz I felt the tension of this NS500 is much low than my old MP10).
    The important thing is that I am finding much power while using NS500 than my old MP10. More over I have noticed that shaft of the NS500 is more flexible than that of MP10 Light, though in both cases Yonex identifying both the rackets are flexible one. But I have found a whipping like effect while hitting the shuttle with that NS500.
    Someone over my place told me to practice with that MP10 Light and to play game using that NS500. I tried that and noticed one thing ... while doing 50 continuous tosses and/or 50 continuous smashes with that MP10 Light there is a little pain in my deltoid muscle as well as in my shoulder but it is not happening while I am switching to that NS500.
    Anyone plz. tell me am I with wrong technique or string tension?
    Plz. tell what should be the best string tension for a player like me? B'coz most of stringers here always suggest high string tension around 25lb+
    Thanks in advance.

4. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    power might be due to the lower-tens. string but iono
    btw, stringers prob. tell you to do higher tensions so they make more money from your mishits:eek::eek:
    23lb is a good tension

5. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    or maybe you can't find power in your mp10 because of the tension is too high for you (23lbs) who knows

6. niteeshs

niteeshs Regular Member

Engineering
    You should restring NS500 to same tension as mp10 and then try. I would suggest BG85 string for you considering the weather condition in India. It should give you more power than BG65 at the same tesion, although it is less durable.

7. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks Niteeshs. As per your suggestion, you want me restring the NS500 with BG65 or BG85 with a tension of 23lb like my old MP10 Lt.

Now I have two questions, plz. answer me.

1) Do you want me to check the difference of performance of those two rackets at same string tension?

2) I have put a single over-grip on both the racket handles just to save default Yonex grips of the rackets. Is this type of over-gripping wrong?

Thanks.

8. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Plz. suggest

I use to wear a volleyball-shoes and our court is a concrete court with a green mat type paint on it. The club owner is telling that he will make it wooden very soon. Do I need to buy a pair of badminton shoes as early as possible. If yes, then plz. suggest me a good pair of badminton shoes within a budget of $30.

9. NaVdEep

NaVdEep Regular Member

Business Owner

Yonex is out of your range with that budget. Try Mizuno if they are available over there.

10. niteeshs

niteeshs Regular Member

Engineering
    for 1) Yes, with the same string.
    2) Overgrips are ok, even single, as long as you feel comfortable when you hold the racket.

BG85 would feel much better in terms of repulsion and feel compared to BG65 when you smash or drive. You will have to adjust a bit for net play.

Hope this helps.

11. niteeshs

niteeshs Regular Member

Engineering
    Prices are different in different countries even for same brand shoes. You could see if yonex, mizuno, victor etc. are available in your area. You can find the model specifics in their websites. List price of these shoes are way higher than $30. I understand that Power Sports from Bata is also available in India, but I am not sure if they have badminton shoes. Their shoes should be cheaper.

I have seen some models of Yonex, Mizuno, Nike and Fila being sold at $30 price range in my area during discount seasons. You may look for stores that offer discounts on sports goods in your place.

12. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks Niteeshs.
    What do you think about the Yonex Shoes - Model SHB-41EX? Should I go for that?
    Moreover, I have seen the lowest price model of Yonex shoes that is costing Rs.900/-(Indian rupees) in US$20 approx, but the Sunrise agent is telling that that won't last more than 2-3 yrs and he is suggesting me that SHB-41EX model. This SHB-41EX is costing US$35 approx.
    Plz. suggest.:(

13. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    drifit sir,
    I do require your kind suggestion regarding my latests posts 28 - 32.
    Plz. help. :(

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    shoe is very important.
    playing regularly, it will not last more than 2 years.
    it is normal wear and tear. enjoy the game rather than worrying about how long it will last.
    is there any other badminton shoe other than yonex at your place? victor? asics? it is wise to look for other alternatives if you are on budget constrain.
    41EX is an old model. now, upgraded to shb-42.
    the 42 comes with hexagonal pattern sole which provide better grip. comes with power cushion too.

15. niteeshs

niteeshs Regular Member

Engineering
    I have not used SHB-41EX. I have been using SHB100Ltd and SHB99Low. I was very much comfortable with them and did not try any other model. These would cost about US$77-80 from where I buy. I plan to try SHB101Ltd now.

Prior to using Yonex, I had tried Mizuno and Nike, but found Yonex SHB99Low to be the best fit for my feet.

16. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    I have not seen those brands like Victor, Asics, Mizuno over here.

But I have seen a court shoe by Power Sports from BATA. The model is "Power Pro-Court for Volleyball/Squash/Badminton". Its cost is higher than SHB-41EX but lower than SHB-42EX. It doesn't have hexagonal/bee-hive like grip, instead it has a zig-zag pattern of grip with two black circle like material embedded in the sole, one is just below the heel and other is below the front-foot as shown in the pic drawn below. Power Sports is claiming this circular thing will help a lot during quick turning in foot-work.

As I haven't found any pic of that model in the internet so I have given a stupid effort to draw the sole-texture of the model below.:eek:

Plz. advice me which one will be better to buy ---
    SHB-41EX / SHB-42EX / "Power Pro-Court for Volleyball/Squash/Badminton"?

Attached Files:

17. michaelcao

michaelcao New Member

playing sports
    At600 very light simular to ns and good smashing racket. xD just got mine today xD

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    err.. it is not a stupid effort.
    we are glad that you are making full effort in badminton. :)

for me, i will go with SHB-42EX. better grip and power cushion.
    cant recall whether 41EX comes with power cushion or not.
    as for BATA shoe? not that great.

19. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks a lot, sir.
    SHB-41EX also comes with power cushion.
    My friend has told me that he saw Victor Sports shoes in a departmental store, but as he is not a badminton player, he could not tell me about any model for badminton.
    Can you plz. suggest a model for me in case of Victor brand? B'coz I have no idea about the model of that brand for badminton...

20. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    yes, you should go with the SHB 42. Although the SHB 41 is cheaper, the SHB 42 will be good for you in the long run. Concerning your strings and tension, you should stick with BG65 because it is much cheaper and durable. I mean, you should learn to develop your own smashing power, not relying on the type of strings. Besides, the BG65 will save you restringing money, since you won't have to spend money restinging BG85 every few weeks; possibly buy a new racket with all the money saved :]. As for the tension, because you stated that you are a beginner, you should string it no higher than 24. 23 might be suited for you if 22 does no good, considering you have wrist power.