Plantar plate tear - advice please

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Jiblie44, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Jiblie44

Jiblie44 New Member

Hi, I wonder has anyone had this injury? I’m a keen 48 player who hurt my foot in a tough match 12 weeks ago. It feels like a burning pebble in my shoe and is affecting everyday life. I was advised to rest by a chiropodist and have reluctantly not played (which is very depressing!) but there is no improvement.
    I’ve now been to see a foot and ankle consultant and had some scans. I have been diagnosed with a plantar plate tear.
    Its not totally ruptured but has small tears in it which means I have a choice as to operate or not. A full rupture would be decision made but this isn’t as clear cut.
    Having googled the op I’ve seen plenty on runners forums and have focussed on the bad reports rather than the success stories.....
    I just want to get back to playing the sport I love but don’t want to make things worse. Has anyone out there had this injury or the op? All advice welcome.
    I’ve opted to wear an air boot for 3 weeks to give it a proper chance to heal but need to decide on the op if there is no improvement.
    Thanks