Our women in the running for three golds

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by ants, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar Nov 21 2005

PETALING JAYA: For the first time in the SEA Games series, the Malaysia women's shuttlers will be strong contenders for all three gold medals – singles, doubles and team.

The recent performances of the women, especially Wong Mew Choo and top doubles pair of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty – have raised hopes of a good showing in the Manila Games.

Wong Mew Choo
    Mew Choo pulled off a major upset at the last Games in Vietnam to become the first Malaysian woman in 26 years to win the singles title.

The chances of defending the title looked remote when she came down with injuries last year. But after a six-month absence, she made a strong comeback and is now ranked 12th in the world.

Although she has beaten her main rival – Li Li of Singapore in the first round of the Indonesian Open in September – the 21-year-old Mew Choo prefers to keep a low profile.

“Based on the draw, I am likely to play against the same players whom I beat to win the SEA Games singles gold two years ago. But I do not want to set any targets. I will try my best and that’s all I would like to say for now,” she said.

Mew Choo is expected to play against 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games champion Li Li in the semi-finals. If Mew Choo advances, she is tipped to play against top seed Salakjit Ponsana of Thailand, whom she beat to take the gold at the 2003 Vietnam Games.

In the women's doubles, world number seven Eei Hui-Pei Tty have a good chance of becoming the first Malaysian women's pair to win the SEA Games title.

The duo, who are seeded second, are tipped to play top seeds T. Saralee-J. Sathinee of Thailand in the final. They have the physiological edge over the Thais, having beaten them for the first time en route to reaching the final of the Indonesian Open two months ago.

Besides Mew Choo and Eei Hui-Pei Tty, the others in the women's team are M. Sutheaswari, Julia Wong, Norsyahliza Baharum and Ooi Sock Ai-Mooi Hing Yau.

Malaysia are expected to meet top seeds Thailand in the team semi-finals. Singapore are the second seeds and have Indonesia in their half of the draw.

If the Malaysian women live up to expectations, the target of getting two gold medals could be surpassed.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This must be the first time we can say we are in the running for all three golds. I don't think we will win three (even winning two is difficult), but it's good enough to know we are in the running.