Nozomi Okuhara ( 奥原希望 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

She is devastated...

2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Thanks for showing this interview. It's always interesting to see how people's characters come across slightly differently when they speak different languages. The Okuhara seen in this interview is very candid, and she seems to have laid aside the imperturbable, matter-of-fact attitude that is usually assumed when she speaks Japanese. And, she really should be praised for making that extra effort to improve her English; it's paying off.

As far as her post-match interview on the Badminton Spirit website is concerned, Okuhara had the following to say (in my translation, at least :D):

------

Although I was still tired from yesterday [SF match against Intanon], that happens with any match. Ability-wise, this is where I stand at the moment. The World Championships is a special tournament that every player wants to win. The Final, in particular, is a wonderful stage. But despite of that, the result and content of my game were lamentable, and I am really disappointed. I wanted to show a better game both to Sindhu and the audience.

Sindhu has long limbs and plays powerful shots from above. But it's not only that, she also utilises a quick touch in her game development. I tried to control the match both by equalling the tempo or neutralising it, but either way, Sindhu got the better of me.

(When the national flags were raised, you wiped away tears) I had heard the kimigayo [Japanese anthem] being played at the end of the women's doubles, and remembered that two years ago it had been the same for me. It would have been nice, had I been able to have the kimigayo played for me again. But in reality it was the Indian anthem that was being played, and the Japanese flag being raised in second position; a lot of emotions welled up. I had really wanted to win. I had wanted to raise the Japanese flag to a higher place.

---------------------------------- :):)

3. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^Just a story. I used to hate badminton, I hate it much because I have some problems with some people in my town. (normal things were happening in everywhere-conflict). I've quitted badminton for so long, about 10 ten years, and sometimes I hate it when remembering the people on badminton court in my home town.

Okuhara was the people who brought me back. I saw a video clip on youtube, the match between her and Wang Shian in All England, and this little girl make me feel interest ^-^. I found more video clips about her matches and I have a strong feeling ^-^.

Please don't smile at me but my feelings was something like the feelings that I had in highschool. It looks like the feeling of the first love.

^-^ I fell in love on that day with the girl who play badminton on youtube, I tried to do a thing to forget that but I could not, hahaha.

Over the next few days, the feelings still chased on me, but I controled my mind and I knew that It would not go to any results, so I managed to think that Okuhara is like my little sister ^-^ and ...... I need a week to do it, to surpass and stop my feelings ^-^.

That is the way to comeback to badminton, that is the way I love Japan players.

Thanks Okuhara and comeback stronger. Don't cry little girl! (please don't smile at me, I still single and I just a people who has feelings ^0^)

#423 terrynguyen121988, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Pcyl, BeeKi, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  4. minions

minions Regular Member

Her luck can't get any worse than this. In China Open, she will meet Carolina Marin, of all players, in R1. As if her devastating loss at WC isn't enough. She can't afford to slow down now.

5. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

i think she got a good draw compare to CYF that play Sindhu on her QF, or AY with Intanon.
    Marin is recovering from an injury, may not be able to show her best game.

I always felt that Okuhara had more luck than AY. In Japan Open, Okuhara reached the final without needing to beat any top8 players. Same as in World Championship, reaching the final without needing to beat top4 players. I don't think that's good for her either, she doesn't know her true level and when she has to fight these players, she is overwhelmed.

trizzforce and Cheung like this.
  6. minions

minions Regular Member

Now that she has endured some of her crushing defeat, she may think of reworking her gameplay. She will going to try.

7. esppy

esppy Regular Member

So.... whatever that corporate team she joined, she ditched....
    Now, Visa....

I fail to see how this is helping considering she has to hunt for her sponsor, manage everything else, on top of training as well.
    *rolleyes

Renmazuo27 likes this.
  8. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

She didn't join a corporate team, she left Unisys to be sponsored by a private company without having to do any team duties. Visa is probably just another sponsor on top of that. Don't let that "team" in the advertising language fool you. ;)

Cheung likes this.
  9. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Whatever the case, her form has been terrible since leaving Unisys.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Thank you for drawing our attention to this development. Only followers of Okuhara could possibly be aware of this step, as it hasn't made the news, at all. In fact, I haven't found a single article on it, which goes to show that Okuhara's public image is on the decline. Her move away form Unisys didn't do her any favours as far as PR is concerned, ... and Momota has stolen the limelight.

As @Cunning Linguist alludes to, Visa is simply an additional sponsor for Okuhara. Various corporations are eyeing Tokyo 2020 as a perfect opportunity to project themselves to the general public, and Visa is no exception. Just now looking at the relevant website, Team Visa does include one big name, Seto Daiya, a swimmer who will be a genuine medal contender at the Olympics, but apart from that, the eight athletes on the list mainly hail from minor sports, and are not particularly well-known outside their respective fields.

Incidentally, Okuhara's achievements on Team Visa's site read as follows:
    2016: Olympic bronze medal
    2017: World Championship
    2018: Korean Open
    (2019: ... no mention)

.... which goes to highlight a downward spiral

upload_2019-10-12_11-53-22.png

As far as Okuhara's training environment is concerned, apparently, she spends quite a lot of time at NTT-East's facilities, primarily because her privately-contracted coach, Sato Shoji, is based there. Her training environment, I believe, is intact.

Pcyl, BeeKi and Fidget like this.
  11. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

Does she train in NTT East everyday? Okuhara is not part of the NTT East and She also will not carry the name of NTT East, I'm a little surprised about this, NTT East is a corporate team, certainly they don't want to be on the disadvantaged side even they share the same coach right

12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Well the European umpire ruined the match for the lil Japanese!

13. freeter

freeter Regular Member

To the Denmark Open final. Yes

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

No, she is no longer affiliated to any corporate team. But, according to certain authorities who know much more than we do, she does train at NTT-East's facilities. As far as I can see, there is no disadvantage. After all, the far more inferior ladies' team may even get to spar with one of Japan's best WS players.

Pcyl likes this.
  15. terrynguyen121988

So, the little girl will be the number 1 in the world next week.

16. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Who?

17. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Oh yeah, true. Didn't even notice that. Just by a whopping 191 points, as well.:D

18. minions

minions Regular Member

Hmm, I don't know what to say. She had her chance to become WR1 twice. First, by winning WC. Second, by winning Denmark Open. But, she lost in both finals. Instead, she becomes the WR1 courtesy of TTY and AY lost some points from last year's French Open.

Can't blame anyone and anything though. She can always try to perform good. She has a lot of points to defend in the next 3 tournaments. Time to prove it. She is on the right track to achieve her top form once more.

19. terrynguyen121988

Okuhara # the first time

20. terrynguyen121988

It looks like the faith, she has chance to become the number 1 after winning world champion tournament in 2017 but she didn't.

And now, she did by the way that nobody can imagine: LOSING MARIN ^-^

if Okuhara won Marin in quarter-final, and then she could lost to Tai Tzu Ying at semi-final, then nothing happened, Tai still had a chance to defense her position by winning the title.

Just the faith.

Pcyl and Gacon1234star like this.