No Chinese, No Interview

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by tama-aki, May 7, 2004.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Right, how can someone be arrogant just because they dont

talk to the press in English, he was willing to talk provided the reporter could communicate.

If a coach or player cold shoulders fans, i suppose that's arrogant.

I think this will once and for all clear misconceptions .

2. yanpok

yanpok Regular Member

Hi everybody,

I don't think Coach Li has done anything wrongly accordingly. He represents his country (China) and his team. WHy does he need to use another language to comunicate with others who do not speak Chinese(he already explained he did not speak English . WHat did they want?). If the reporters want to talk to him or ask him something, the reporters should respect the country (China) and coach Li and provide the translation services from whatever languages they are using to Chinese. The reporters should have hired some translators for the different languages. I don't think the reporters repect China at all. The reporters must think their languages are far more superior than Chinese then.
    I believe that anyone represents his/her country should use his/her own language.
    For example : If a chinese reporter asks an English speaking Coach questions in Chinese. Can the Coach answer the questions? or the coach will just say he does not understand Chinese in English not even in Chinese?

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Uhmmm ... maybe this is needlessly escalating the discussion. We don't know EXACTLY what happened, and ALL THE DETAILS. So let's not jump to conclusions, and then promote said conclusions with too much much passion.

Let's not condemn Li Yong Bo. Let's not condemn the reporters.

-dave

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just to add to the complexity of the case. i vaguely remember that LiYongbo has a little disagreement with some of the foreign reporters' reports a few years back. i forgot what the context was, but basically LiYongbo didn't like what was written. i am not sure whether it was because the foreign reporters were being too critical, or because it was a language/transation error. in the end, Li got mad and i think since he has stopped talking English to foreign reporters. the reason i believe is probably half because he is still mad, and half to avoid such incidents again in the future.

if someone remembers the details, please fill it in for us.

5. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Dave, forever the diplomat :cool: :cool: :cool:

6. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    However, let's condemn wwcbro, just for the pure fun of it!

-dave

7. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    well li yongbo is nothing compared to that red-faced scot from glasgow fergie........

8. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

PT, who are you talking about? I am lost...
    Dave, very funny. hope you are condemning me to better badminton skills! :D

9. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    I really want to, wwcbro ... dunno bout that main racket of yours though. Maybe Li Yong Bo will donate some of the "pilfered" Yonexes to ya, for my support.

-dave

10. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Yeah Dave...then do u have LYB email's address??

11. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Just remember to email in Chinese ;p

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Guess he is referring to Fergurson, Manchester United manager.

13. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    if a reporter asks ferguson a question he dislikes he'll yell vulgarities and tell him to get out of the press room...

14. protomedea

protomedea New Member

That's UNREASONABLE. Imagine what would happen in Olympics if you were to interview athletes from 20 or more different countries competing in one event. It's not the matter of respect. English is the lingua franca. We should and have accepted it as the preferred languange in international community. I don't care and don't know if LYB is an arrogant person - he should be more professional and be prepared for an international venue such as Thomas Cup.

15. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United.
    I support Liverpool, so I don't like him either. :mad::D

16. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Please stick to the subject, guys.
    :p

Mag,

17. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Chinese Players Getting Friendlier

Chinese players are very friendly. Look at Xia Xuanze who's become the favourite of journalists. Chinese players in the old days are known to reject contacts with supporters. Until today the players are not allowed to talk to reporters before getting approval from Li Yongbo.

Gao Ling is another favourite. She is considered thick face and will laugh crazily while interacting and answering questions from reporters.

They're naturally friendly, as a celebrity will be. But the restrictions of not talking from the coach is one thing that may have caused the stir.

18. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Errr...because the international world agree to use English to communicate.

No, but as a reporter, he should have learnt English. The coach will tell him that he speaks only English and will need a help from someone who can translate, not rudely says,"No English, no interview" and left the reporter with wide open mouth.

Well that's the answer we'd like to hear from Li Yongbo ("I don't speak English, would be great if there's someone who can translate"). He didn't tell the reporters that he doesn't speak good English (which is rather strange, since his very international since the old days as great player). Instead he will refuse and said no Chinese, no interview.

Sometimes when some reporters ask their chinese reporters fellow to translate, Li Yongbo still a bit hesitant. Only until Lindsay firmly arranges a press conference full with chinese translator then Li was cornered and can't do anything but answer the question.

Li seems hesitant to dispatch information regarding the chinese badminton. He also prevents the players to answer questions from reporters prior to his approval.

19. yanpok

yanpok Regular Member

Do you speak Another language? which one do you Prefer?
    Have you been in France? Try to talk to them in English, you will see what happen. or Will you speak with them in Franch?
    Why is English a preferred language?WHY?WHY?
    From what you have said above, so everybody in the World must learn English.Nobody needs to respect his/her own country anymore.
    DO you know that Olympics provides translators to the reporters and the sport players?
    Remember, If you do not learn English well enough, You cannot express yourself well enough by using it. I believe that everybody should use his/her mother language to express.

20. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

i don't know why you've taken france for example, but every french speak english. In school here everybody must learn english.