NEWS : Redemption time for Choong Hann

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by seven, Nov 17, 2004.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    [size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Wednesday November 17, 2004
    [size=+2]Redemption time for Choong Hann[/size]

BY RIZAL ABDULLAH SINGAPORE: Malaysian number one Wong Choong Hann is in Singapore after a disappointing outing in the China Open badminton championships in Guangzhou last week where fever got the better of him in the second round match against China’s Li Yu.

He had to concede a walkover in the rubber game with the score tied at 15-13, 2-15.

The 28-year-old Choong Hann is still not in the best of health but he is game enough to do battle in the US$170,000 Aviva Singapore Open, which begins at the Singapore Indoor Stadium today.

[​IMG]
    TAUFIK HIDAYAT: The Olympic champion pulled out, citing blisters on his right foot.

“I came down with a bout of fever in Guangzhou and my body has yet to fully recover from the illness. Much will depend on how well my body can take it,†said Choong Hann, whose best outing in Singapore was in 2001 when he finished as runner-up to Indonesian Taufik Hidayat.

Choong Hann opens his campaign against Singapore’s Chew Swee Hau and he is expected to play against South Korean Park Sung-hwan in the second round. The Korean was the runner-up to Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei in this year’s Malaysian Open in Kuantan.

“I am not sure how well I can perform or how far I can go. But I am determined to make it count in each round. In a way the disappointment in the China Open is going to drive me on,†said Choong Hann.

“I was very well-prepared for the China Open and I was confident of doing well until the fever kayoed me.â€

If Choong Hann makes it to the third round, he is down to play against either teammate Mohd Hafiz Hashim or Thailand’s Boonsak Polsana.

For Choong Hann, Hafiz has beaten him three times this year – at the All-England and the Selangor and Malacca Opens.

The brother of Hafiz, Roslin, failed to show up in Singapore. According to Malaysian manager Hau Kim Toh, the veteran was forced to withdraw due to an injury. Also out is youngster Mohd Azwan Jamaluddin, who is ill.

With the withdrawal of the newly-forged pair of Choong Tan Fook-Chew Choon Eng, Malaysia’s back-up pair of Au Kok Leong-Tan Zhao Rong were granted a place in the main draw. They were supposed play in the qualifiers yesterday.

Meanwhile, Denmark’s Peter Gade-Christensen, who is the top seed here, told a press conference that his defeat by 17-year-old Chinese Gong Weijie in the last 16 of the China Open was a “frightening†experience.

“Very frightening. Nowadays players start training at a very young age and they are coming on fine. It is only a matter of time before they start to rule,†said Gade-Christensen.

Athens Olympic champion Taufik, who was also at the press conference, said: “I took a month’s rest after winning the Olympic gold. I should say I am now more mature and better prepared mentally,†said Taufik.

“My defeat in the China Open (by China’s Bao Chunlai, 10-15, 17-15, 15-12 in the semi-finals) has not affected me in any way. I hope to do well to regain the title.â€

But two hours later, he withdrew – citing blisters on his right foot as the reason.