NEWS : Onward to Thomas Cup

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Onward to Thomas Cup

StarOnline

BY RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: The back-up squad's doubles combination of Koo Kien Keat-Gan Teik Chai have rightfully earned their place in the team for the Thomas Cup badminton qualifying tournament.

They emerged as the champions of the National Grand Prix Finals in Seremban on Sunday. And yesterday, national doubles chief coach Yap Kim Hock decided not to keep them in suspense any longer. He announced that the duo would be in the team for the tournament, which will be played at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium from Feb 17-22.

Kim Hock was glad to note that Kien-Keat-Teik Chai have moved to the fore and he said that they might be fielded as the second ranked pair for the ties in the qualifiers.

“They have proved themselves by winning the doubles title and I have rewarded them with a place in the Thomas Cup squad,” said Kim Hock.

“They have proved that they have got up to the senior ranks and I am looking at fielding them as the second pair in the qualifiers.

“I am confident that they have the ability to rise to the occasion when playing in an exciting team tournament like the Thomas Cup. I am very delighted with their achievements (in the GP Finals).”

Kien Keat-Teik Chai beat the more experienced but scratch pair of Chang Kim Wai-Chew Choon Eng 3-15, 15-0, 15-12 in the final at the Negri Sembilan Chinese Recreation Club (NSCRC) Hall.

They certainly capitalised on the withdrawal of national number one Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah because of injury to the latter to claim the RM11,000 champions' purse.

Kim Hock said that Kien Keat-Teik Chai had power in their attacks but they will need to be more composed on court.

“They are strong attacking players and this quality can take them far. But there is still huge room for improvement. They must learn to change their game plan swiftly when things go wrong and not depend on the coach too much,” he said.

“Being youngsters, they are quick to get agitated and angry. They must learn to be more composed.”

The news of their inclusion in the squad for the Thomas Cup qualifying round came as a big relief, especially to the 19-year-old Kien Keat.

“We knew we stood a chance to win the title yesterday but I feel very honoured now that our places in the Thomas Cup squad have been confirmed.

“Teik Chai was in the team for the last qualifying tournament two years ago. It will be my first outing and I am excited about it. Both of us will certainly be out to justify our selection.”

Kim Hock also said that Kim Wai-Choon Eng would also be in the squad for the qualifiers together with Tan Fook and Wan Wah.

Chan Chong Ming, who is expected to resume training next month after a forced break due to a shoulder injury in October last year, is not expected to be ready for the qualifiers.

The decision to have six doubles players in the team means that singles chief coach Misbun Sidek can only have four of his players to make up the 10-member squad.